Most and least durable controllers

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DPrinny

Most and least durable controllers

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:13 pm

Recent conversation and experience on this due to games events, a c**ped out controller is bloody annoying, what are the most and least durable controllers?
Not talking about the best, just the ones that keep on going

Durable
NES
Saturn 2nd gen
Jaguar

Least
PS2
360 (stop working at random)
N64 (just for the stick, the rest is great)
Last edited by DPrinny on Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shiffy

Re: Most and least durable controllers

Post by shiffy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:27 pm

Most durable joystick - Megadrive Arcade Power Stick (3 button version).

This stick is still going strong, and has survived being plugged into an Amiga on countless occasions for "Waggle-O-Mania". Any stick that can survive this game is built to last!

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:43 pm

SNES pads sure take a beating and keep on going.
My 360 pads have never failed or even put an I/O wrong! So, I can't agree that these aren't durable.
Same for my N64 pads too though I'm aware the sticks can be fragile.

I suppose it depends on how much abuse the controllers get. I tend to look after mine. Although, that said, my kids and their friends use the controllers that I use and they are so sympathetic towards them!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:52 pm

The Zipstick still holds up pretty well.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:57 pm

Mire Mare wrote:SNES pads sure take a beating and keep on going.
My 360 pads have never failed or even put an I/O wrong! So, I can't agree that these aren't durable.
Same for my N64 pads too though I'm aware the sticks can be fragile.

I suppose it depends on how much abuse the controllers get. I tend to look after mine. Although, that said, my kids and their friends use the controllers that I use and they are so sympathetic towards them!
Snes ones ive had the shoulder buttons get iffy
360 pads just seem to stop working

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:20 pm

I've had the same Competition Pro for about 30 years. Sure, I've replaced a switch or two, but its had a a hard life.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:01 pm

PC Engine/Turbografx regular pads just keep going and going, NES ones too, as do my 7800 pads, going back a bit, my two old Powerplay Cruiser joysticks still work flawlessly after 30 years, they were hugely expensive for the time, but so worth it.

Least durable for me would have to be Dreamcast ones, been through a few of those, and it is not my most used console.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:09 pm

Original Xbox controllers are like handheld tanks.

Some of the cheaper-construct official PS2 pads that came later on around the time of the Slim machine can be flexed/twisted easily in your hands and I've had quite a few where the 'X' button loses a lot of its sensitivity or the sticks end up feeling vague and creaky. Also had one which had a mind of its own and randomly activated the right combination of buttons to erase a profile in Timesplitters Future Perfect :roll:

Older PS2 pads feel a lot more solid and so do PS1 controllers.
Last edited by Megamixer on Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:25 pm

Not many have 100% pass marks in my experience.

The N64 is my favourite console, but the sticks are brutal. I hope the recent kickstarter becomes a commercial product. I need at least 5 sticks.
Another dodgy one is the Master System pads. The D-pad backing flange seems to crack and the pad just falls out.

The 360 pads are pretty good imo, never had one self destruct (yet). The battery for the play and charge kits is a different matter, tend to only get 18 months out of them before they are dead.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:34 pm

PS3 controllers can suffer with thumbsticks becoming stuck in 1 position. Xbox 360 controllers can also be a pain (had a few apart trying to fix them). The thumbstick bit on an N64 can be a pain as well.

Megadrive controllers are tough as old boots and still work when given loads of abuse... Snes controllers are quite durable as well...

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:49 am

Megamixer wrote:Some of the cheaper-construct official PS2 pads that came later on around the time of the Slim machine can be flexed/twisted easily in your hands and I've had quite a few where the 'X' button loses a lot of its sensitivity or the sticks end up feeling vague and creaky. Also had one which had a mind of its own and randomly activated the right combination of buttons to erase a profile in Timesplitters Future Perfect :roll:

Older PS2 pads feel a lot more solid and so do PS1 controllers.
I dunno, my old PS2 controller (the one I got with my system when it launched) no longer works. :(

The only other pad I've had wear out on me was my one Megadrive controller. The rubber under the 'b' button went. Almost all the Megadrive pads I've bought second hand have been dead or dying (the buttons need to be pushed really hard to register).
skodathegreat wrote:The N64 is my favourite console, but the sticks are brutal. I hope the recent kickstarter becomes a commercial product. I need at least 5 sticks.
My N64 controllers are still fine after all these years (not that I've used them much), but I have played on some that had totally knackered sticks. I thought you could already buy replacement sticks?

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:20 am

Had loads of Atari 2600 joysticks break over the years usually one direction stops working.A simple enough fix though.

Also the crap joysticks that came when you got a c64, speccy or amstrad.Many of them got broken along with quickshot/archer joy sticks . competition pro zipsticks all the way for the 8bits.

Master system pads had a few were the d pad came off.
Had a few crap n64 sticks go.Some dodgy megadrive pads.And some twisted wires on original xbox pads.

Best for me 360 and comp pro.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:07 am

Never known a Mega Drive pad stop working.

Must have got through dozens of Cheetah 125+ and Quickshot joysticks in my time. Microswitches just die.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:32 am

The early Quickshots with the dome switches were pretty bad, but I found the later ones with microswitches to be quite decent.

The tank-like construction of the Competition Pro puts it in a class of its own for reliability though, especially the later microswitch models. The leaf contacts in the early ones tended not to last, but I suppose you could usually just open it up, clean them and bend them back when they went.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:47 am

My personally owned stuff no matter what console has all lasted really well.

I must say when I worked in a games shop 90% of returned controllers had stopped working due to sticky drinks or food stuff getting spilt on them.

The main contenders for me for breaking are as follows.

The N64 stick was so prone to wearing out there is no doubt about that.

PAL dreamcast pads lasted pretty well, the JAP ones though had really weak triggers which did always break in no time. I think everyone I ever sold a JAP dreamcast to came back with the pad at some point.
Last edited by silvergunner on Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.