Favourite Quake Game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Your Favourite Quake Game

Quake
43%
Quake 2
33%
Quake III
23%
Quake IV
No votes

Total votes: 30

Sureshot

Re: Favourite Quake Game

Post by Sureshot » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:41 pm

Tough one actually (well, apart from Q4 obviously).

Q1 was one of the earliest FPS experiences I had, so definitely holds sentimental value.
Q2 was probably the first FPS I tried playing properly online. I had to press the minus key as far down as it would go to get any sort of decent performance out of it, and I remember that if you knew how to duck, you could do pretty well against 90% of opponents. Oh, and the custom skins were awesome.
Q3 is the one I've probably played the most (including Quake Live). Great multiplayer with a high skill ceiling and fun modes (CA and CTF being my preferences). Definitely one of my favourite competitive experiences of all time.

I'll go with Q3.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:22 am

Q2 for me. Never got into Quake that much, preferred the simplicity blasting fun of the Dooms. Q2 was great multiplayer fun though. Q3 and Q4 just seemed same old and by that time IMO was superceded by better FPS

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:53 am

I'm sure they improved the game throughout the series, but I only really played Quake 1 properly. Great memories in college playing Quake over the network (that and GTA 1).

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Must admit i did play Quake II multiplayer tons, capture the flag was brilliant, had tons of great moments playing that back in the 56k modem days. Got pretty good at it as well. But was disappointed when i realised Quake III was just multiplayer
But as others have said, the Quake II imagery really got me into it, just didnt like Quake I much

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:42 pm

My PC wasn't quite up to playing Quake II at the time it came out, so by the time I got round to it it had lost its edge.

For me, when I think of Quake I think of playing the original on my first laptop with no hardware acceleration while on the bus to and from work. I spent so much time in that world the sequel never felt right afterwards.

As for Quake III, they forgot to put a game in there, so it was a complete waste of my money. Who wants to run in circles round the same few maps chasing other people running in circles? This online only malarkey will never catch on.

Quake 4 was back on track, but returned to the Quake II world over the less common castles and dungeons I preferred.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:22 pm

Quake III, my introduction to multiplayer on the 33k modem Dreamcast, expensive but worth it!

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:40 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote: As for Quake III, they forgot to put a game in there, so it was a complete waste of my money. Who wants to run in circles round the same few maps chasing other people running in circles? This online only malarkey will never catch on.
The series was successful because of graphics and "online fragging", some people at the time expressed that the SP part feels more "tacked on" and id listened, hence Q3 was a MP oriented title. Can't say it was a bad decision per-se, they did make one of the best MP shooters ever (the polished up and modernized version lives on as Quake Live). I'm also in the camp that prefers the dark and gothic feel of Q1 and Q3 over the industrial, alien vibe of QII and QIV.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:52 pm

Has to be the original one for me. It had by far the biggest impact in terms of graphical and gameplay leap. The gothic citadels and the demonic enemies made for more interesting design rather than the Stroggs in Quake 2. Best multi is hands down Quake III, that and Unreal Tournament pretty much dominated my school holidays.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:01 pm

I have fond memories of the original. Remember the "shell" in it - for typing commands? There was a hack for creating a zoom - so you could snipe people. The game had the cool concept of using polygons in an FPS. It had its moments.

However, the sequel seems more fun. I think the sci-fi concept setting helps, as opposed to the sort of medieval/fantasy setting of the original. I also like the puzzles(dropping crates in certain areas and collecting things) in that game - it really added something new. Then of course, there is the 3D card stuff. The Strog are cool as well - as enemies.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:08 pm

Quake 3 or more specifically, Quake 3 Arena.

On the Dreamcast, this had to be my first introduction to online gaming and boy, did it leave an impression. Competing with players from all over the world, I absolutely loved it and played it relentlessly. I even tried out for a clan although I didn't get an invite :(