Favourite Quake Game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Your Favourite Quake Game

Quake
43%
Quake 2
33%
Quake III
23%
Quake IV
No votes

Total votes: 30

Darran@Retro Gamer

Favourite Quake Game

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:32 am

For our big feature

What's your favourite and why?

ArchaicKoala

Re: Favourite Quake Game

Post by ArchaicKoala » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:59 am

Despite the original Quake pulling me into the world of online gaming, it was Quake 3 that hooked me and took over my gaming life on release for the Dreamcast. For that reason alone it is my favourite in the series.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:16 pm

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:36 pm

For some reason never got into Quake I.

Quake II i loved, completed that, loved it even more when halfway through i got my voodoo card

No interest in Quake III as it was just multiplayer, thought it might have been a proper sequel but was gutted when it was just pure multiplayer

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:41 pm

Having studied medieval history the world of Quake really appealed to me with its knights and castles. Love that game, never got into the other ones.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:51 pm

Quake was a good game, but the sequel improved on it in every way for me, it looked fantastic, the one player game was far more interesting, and it was one of the few PC games that made me upgrade my machine so it ran properly, so it must have been excellent.

Quake III was of no interest being multi player based, and Quake IV looked great, but brought absolutely nothing new to the series IMO.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:16 pm

Quake is undoubtedly a very important game, but the setting never appealed to me so I just couldn't get into it. Quake 2 was far more enjoyable, with a better setting, weapons and campaign. Never played 3, but thought 4 brought nothing new to the table. That said, I played through the campaign again not too long ago and it was much more enjoyable than I remembered. Hopefully the success of Doom means we'll get a part 5

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:31 pm

The first one is the only one I ever played for any length of time, so has to be that one.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:44 pm

I liked the original best, the experience of traversing this new 3D world - the best one at the time that I felt had even pipped Doom - wasn't bettered for me with any of the sequels.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:49 pm

Qauke 1 was the best it had a great atmosphere and a great soutrack by NIN, 3 was best for online though but 4 felt more like a set peice FPS game such as call of duty but that said it was ncie to see a sequal to qauke 2
This guy are sick

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:52 pm

Quake 3 Arena is the best multi-player arena shooter in my opinion and my fave in the series (PC original of course). But it did lose the SP part which simply constitues of bot training matches so when it comes to pure single-player speedruns, Quake 1's grotesque Lovecraftian stages and monsters can't be beaten. It's rather archaic in it's design though, but for some of us that is appealing. I did not like Quake II too much, the new settings and monsters weren't as interesting and the gunplay also wasn't quite as satisfying. Still, it's hard to deny it's importance as a online and LAN shooter and a modding platform. Quake IV was not a bad game per-se, just unspectacular. It didn't set any bars for anything, it was just an enjoyable and standard shooter while it lasted and it had a recycled, yet a lot less enjoyable, MP part from Quake 3. Quake Wars is that spin-off title that attempted to bring Battlefield-style large scale battles with vehicles into Quake's world, but imo it was not all that interesting. And then there's Quake Live which is really a bit modified Q3 for browsers.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:40 pm

I preferred the industrial alien setting of Quake II to the weird fantasy Kthulu thing the first game had going on. Quake III Arena was fun in multiplayer, but I was still on dialup in those days so I didn't play it much. Quake IV was a bit average, although I still enjoyed it.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:06 pm

Quake II for me. A fantastic Christmas present that set up the festive season perfectly. Played it through til the end and loved every minute. The 3dfx graphics were fantastic.

The first time a downed enemy hit the deck and managed to get a couple of extra shots away was breath taking for the time.

Played both I and III but neither matched II for me and the less said about IV the better... although I'm tempted to dig it out again now.

Looking forward to the feature.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

station

Post by station » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:20 pm

Played Quake 8 player when I worked at Psygnosis in 1996. I was unbeatable and used to hear other players screaming in frustration. I'm generally not very good at games, but I was killer at this!

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:36 pm

I never took to Quake like I did with other FPS games of the era. To this day I can't put my finger on it as I loved the genre. However, I did enjoy a bit of multiplayer based Quake especially one map, the only map me and my mates played - Ziggurat Vertigo! Low gravity and rocket jumping ahoy!