What type of PC Upgrader are you?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

So what type of PC Upgrader are you?

One that upgrades when there is a great new game with specs that demand fresh investment?
9%
One who waits until the PC has truly, truly run out its course and has been on its dying legs for years?
73%
One that buys a fresh new system every few years just to keep up with the latest?
9%
One that upgrades and keeps upgrading until things cant go any further?
9%
One that treats it like a damn hot rod with all the fluro lights and nitro systems and puts every cent into it?
No votes

Total votes: 33

Carrot007

Re: What type of PC Upgrader are you?

Post by Carrot007 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:21 pm

Calm down people! Why can't we just all get along?

Anyhow I game on PC because to be honest i suck at a lot of games without a keyboard and mouse. I know you get better but unfortunatly the pads are an inferior control method for some games.

And i say this as someone who hasbought multiple consoles because GTA came out earlier on them and I wanted to play. i enevitably give up and wait for the PC version though.

Spec wise my current PC probably frowned upon by some elite pc gamers! It is probably quite old now but I upgrade bits as I have needed and as lot as I get around 30fps in games I play a lot i'm happy. It really could do with an upgrade soon but it probably means all new everything so I may put it off!

However PC users often get it wrong on what is needed. GTA 4 did not require ridiculos 9at the time) specs, it just was a console port and needed 3 cpu's, othereise the specs had to rocket to amke up for that. I have even run it on a pretty poor amd 3 core laptop at usable speeds (on lowest gfx).

My PC is X4 970, 16GB, R7 260X. 4Tb hybrid drive. My omportant files go on the linux server, just games and apps on the PC that can be easily re-loaded if it dies. yes i use win 10, no sane reason not to these days (unless you have vista and have to pay I guess).

The biggest problem I have with the PC is games not liking 2 monitors and me having to disable one!

SWTOR and FF14 mostly. I have a bad steam/gog/humble habit of buying games and then ignoring them and continuing on my usual games.

That said I would certainly buy a current console I I had the money also. Some games are great on pads.

My most modern console was a PS3 but it died and since GTA 4 was out on PC I did not replace it. As for GTA 5 I have a launch 360 that works fine, not so much in it's shell anymore so it is cooler! i flashed the drive a while back and then never played games! So when GTA 5 came out I bought it on that and then realised I had to go to the effort of unflashing the drive to play it and did so. Since the PC version came out it's been in a box somewhere. (Mostly because I moved and I think half of my stuff may still be at my mothers, got important stuff like the meagdrive though!)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:49 pm

I think the main problem with GTA IV was that it was buggy to hell and back when it launched and a lot of people needed to update their graphics drivers and install patches to get it running smoothly. I've tried it on a few dual core machines, and even some with integrated graphics, where it works acceptably.

You'll be glad to know that GTA V isn't much more demanding and ought to run just fine on the machine you've got. You might even be able to get a few mods going on it.

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:55 am

outdated_gamer wrote:Well I think I have already written everything that can be written so I back out of this fruitless "discussion". :wink:

Meanwhile, I will enjoy some Total War while browsing the internet, watching a video and emulating your precious console in better visual quality and doing some texture work for a mod I'm currently making all at the same time... :wink:
Hmmmm...
http://youtu.be/aDMsGl_XxTk
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:45 pm

English Invader wrote:
A PC gamer has to be knowledgeable about tech unless he's happy spending hundreds on a machine he knows nothing about and takes pot luck whenever he buys a game. Such ignorance is a luxury that belongs to console gamers.
Not sure where you get that from to be honest, building a PC and running games these days is a piece of cake, just a case of plugging connectors together, turning some screws and clicking a few buttons to install windows. No more IRQ conflicts, setting master/slave and all that jazz. Games a few clicks to install with no more setup.exe! Its also a lot cheaper than it used to be, a mid performance PC is about the same cost as a console. Totally forgot about consoles once the usb wireless connector came out for 360 pads, for me and what I do everything is cheaper, faster and a lot more capable with a PC. Granted deciding which parts to buy to put together is a bit more daunting and takes a bit of knowledge, but there are plenty of recommended builds on the internet you only need to figure your own out if you have specific needs. Anyway...

I've had a couple of PCs in the past 10 years. First one was a factory outlet dell i got for £230 at the time, upgraded it until the motherboard and processor became too old and I wanted to run Skyrim with graphics mods and got my current one. Its a high mid range pc, with very good quality components. Have spent about £500 on it all in, but it runs all the games I've tried on max settings with no issues. Easily the most satisfying computer I've ever had, never had a problem with it (other than windows being windows at times).

Previous to that it was just hand me downs and old PCs from parent's work, back in the days businesses just used to give away old PCs to get shot of them, hard drives and all.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:38 pm

oli_lar wrote:
English Invader wrote:
A PC gamer has to be knowledgeable about tech unless he's happy spending hundreds on a machine he knows nothing about and takes pot luck whenever he buys a game. Such ignorance is a luxury that belongs to console gamers.
Not sure where you get that from to be honest, building a PC and running games these days is a piece of cake, just a case of plugging connectors together, turning some screws and clicking a few buttons to install windows. No more IRQ conflicts, setting master/slave and all that jazz. Games a few clicks to install with no more setup.exe! Its also a lot cheaper than it used to be, a mid performance PC is about the same cost as a console. Totally forgot about consoles once the usb wireless connector came out for 360 pads, for me and what I do everything is cheaper, faster and a lot more capable with a PC. Granted deciding which parts to buy to put together is a bit more daunting and takes a bit of knowledge, but there are plenty of recommended builds on the internet you only need to figure your own out if you have specific needs. Anyway....
There's no doubt that PCs are much easier to use these days but they still require the user to do a bit of homework to make sure the game he wants to play will run on his hardware. He needs to know what operating system he's using, what processor (how many cores and what clock speed), he needs to know how much memory he has and, finally, he needs to make sure that he has a compatible graphics card. It's not rocket science, but a console gamer doesn't have to think about any of these considerations - he just buys a PS4 game for a PS4 console and expects the game to run without issue. A PC gamer doesn't have that luxury.

And that's exclusive of gamepad issues. Outside Steam, the 360 pad is a long way short of being compatible with everything (especially emulators and older games). I find that I need at least 3 different controllers to have a set-up that covers most games and even then there are some games that don't like any of them.
Last edited by English Invader on Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:39 pm

mrmessy wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:Well I think I have already written everything that can be written so I back out of this fruitless "discussion". :wink:

Meanwhile, I will enjoy some Total War while browsing the internet, watching a video and emulating your precious console in better visual quality and doing some texture work for a mod I'm currently making all at the same time... :wink:
Hmmmm...
I prefer this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1OjC29Deq8

In 4K, naturally. :D

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:24 am

Matt_B wrote:In 4K, naturally. :D
Only 4K? Pfff... peasant...

:P

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:03 am

IMO the console industry shot itself in the foot when it went digital and made online connectivity a pre-requisite. The main thing the consoles had going for them was a simple, out-of-the-box experience where you just bought a game and played it without having to connect to Playstation Network and wait for updates and so on. The last console to give us that was the PS2.

What I don't get is why developers have to constantly strive for bigger and better instead of saying "People seem to like the PS2. Why not just carry on developing games at that level so people can carry on using their discs and not have to worry about going online and waiting for our updates?"

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:04 am

mrmessy wrote:

Hmmmm...
From Wikipedia:

"It was intended to be ironic, to illustrate what I perceived at the time to be an elitist attitude among a certain kind of PC gamer. People who invest in expensive gaming PCs and continually spend money to make sure the tech in their brightly-lit tower cases is up to date. Who actually prefer games that are temperamental to get running and that have complicated keyboard interfaces, just because it discourages new or 'casual' players who will in some way taint the entire community with their presence. I meant it as a dig."

Yep, he nailed us quite well... :wink:

Although I personally never associated with some "internet movements". Especially not those intended as a dig. :wink:

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:47 am

I build a new one about every 5 years or more.

I've had to downgrade my previous one over the weekend, as it stopped seeing SATA drives, so I had to faff about moving hard drives between three PCs and booting off floppies, USBs, flashing the BIOS, un-flashing the BIOS :? and generally having loads of hassle to get it all back up and running off an old IDE ATA drive. If Windows 7 would work with my scanner and video capture USB thing, then it wouldn't have been a problem. I was amazed when I got my Win 7 PC last year and couldn't find a capture device for it, unless I paid silly money. My USB one was about £15 and works great in XP.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:10 pm

English Invader wrote:IMO the console industry shot itself in the foot when it went digital and made online connectivity a pre-requisite. The main thing the consoles had going for them was a simple, out-of-the-box experience where you just bought a game and played it without having to connect to Playstation Network and wait for updates and so on. The last console to give us that was the PS2.

What I don't get is why developers have to constantly strive for bigger and better instead of saying "People seem to like the PS2. Why not just carry on developing games at that level so people can carry on using their discs and not have to worry about going online and waiting for our updates?"
I understand your opinion here but don't agree with a single word of it.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:05 pm

It's probably a lot easier nowadays than in the DOS days. I suspect that a lot of people get one of those gaming laptops now. Am I right on that one?

I've got to say, that I think PC gaming(despite things like Steam - which probably helped save it) is quite niche nowadays. Especially, when compared to console gaming. People tend to think of the PC as a machine for business and so on. I might be wrong on that one, but at least that's my impression of it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:40 pm

Katzkatz wrote:I suspect that a lot of people get one of those gaming laptops now. Am I right on that one?
I don't know, but the words "gaming" and "laptop" don't sit well together with me. The last thing I would ever use for gaming is a laptop. You can't upgrade them hardly at all, and are usually low spec compared to proper computers. Plus, you'd have to use it on a desk anyway, as you can't use a mouse on your leg to play a game, or a trackpad, or those crappy nipples.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:03 pm

I used to think that, then I bought a decent laptop with an nVidia gpu.

Sure, it wasn't quite as good as a desktop, but it ran current games for 2-3 years at a respectable level and was more than capable of playing older games maxed out. Surprisingly good sound on it too. Not expensive either, iirc it was only about £450, compared to a bare bones cheap laptop being about £300 at the time. Lasted about 5-6 years in total as my main PC until the mobo died.

I'd sit on the sofa with it on my lap and use a trackball. One of the best PCs I've had imo. Since I couldn't upgrade it, I spent wisely at the beginning then didn't have to faff about chasing upgrades, it was very much a console experience, especially with Steam taking care of installs and stuff.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:10 pm

My laptop will play up to PS3 or Xbox 360 quality games. I'd probably go for one with that capability again if/when it croaks it.

However Laptops don't quite have the upgradeability of desktops though with the right chips and setup they're not far off the quality.