What type of PC Upgrader are you?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

So what type of PC Upgrader are you?

One that upgrades when there is a great new game with specs that demand fresh investment?
9%
One who waits until the PC has truly, truly run out its course and has been on its dying legs for years?
73%
One that buys a fresh new system every few years just to keep up with the latest?
9%
One that upgrades and keeps upgrading until things cant go any further?
9%
One that treats it like a damn hot rod with all the fluro lights and nitro systems and puts every cent into it?
No votes

Total votes: 33

Liamh1982

Re: What type of PC Upgrader are you?

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:57 pm

I don't use PCs for gaming other than emulation and a bit of Champ Man/Football Manager. Only replaced my laptop after getting about six years out of it, bought it second hand and it just kept letting me down with random crashes, a crippling lack of memory and bits constantly breaking off it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:36 pm

Just run it until it dies. My last PC was a old-style tower with Win XP and it had all kinds of issues, was slow as hell to boot up, CD drive was knackered etc. yet it worked for web browsing and general programmes such as photoshop so I kept it going. Only reason I binned it in the end was a) it was taking up too much space and b) I got a stupidly cheap deal on a Vaio laptop from a family member which also takes up far less space.

Would rather spend money on console gaming than waste it on new PC systems or upgrades but that's just me.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:34 pm

MadManDan79 wrote:I know a few people who spend so much on gaming pcs (graphics, sound cards, bigger hard drives etc) they might as well have just spent the money on a new console.

The only advantage gaming pcs have is less clutter but then again you can have an XBMC Xbox for older games, a cfw PS3 for the next step up and a PS4 or Xbox 1 and those 3 will do everything a gaming pc will.
What if they aren't interested in the lesser gaming experience that is console gaming? :wink:

I know for myself that I'm in the camp that cares very little for modern consoles. Though, I will say that if all you're interested in are modern mainstream games and want the cheapest way to play them, then consoles are probably a better choice. PC gaming is for those of us who like more complex, PC-oriented experiences (you can also use it to play console ports in higher quality but I find that's a bit of a waste) and like to mess with various creativity programs, modding and even game creation. You can't do that on a console, now can you? :wink:
Last edited by outdated_gamer on Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:21 pm

For years I've been pretty much building & upgrading my systems out of other peoples unwanted parts. I've always been simply too skint to afford anything new.
Where logic won't work, I will

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:42 pm

I do have a laptop that will play games up to ps3/xbox 360 standard but I only have a few games saved on it - Streets of rage V5r is one of them...

But again I still feel consoles are better...

Upgrading from other peoples parts is prob the best most cost effective way of upgrading a PC tbh...

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:20 am

I upgrade when the PC will no longer access the internet. Dont bother gaming on a PC as I prefer to play retro on its original format and if i do need something a bit more modern i have a PS3.

To me a PC is a tool to be used and a games console is a console to play games on . The overwhelming , cloying over righteousness of the PC brigade and their all consuming boredom inducing constant need for upgrading really is super annoying. Each to their own and all that but we all get our kicks differently and no one format is 'better' than the rest.

Next schoolyard tiff thread please?

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:25 am

This isn't really the right forum for this thread as it is more of a console crowd.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:15 am

In 2011(?) I bought a stupidly expensive 4-core i5 3.3ghz machine, and it's still more powerful than most going. I just replaced the HDDs in it today (funnily enough) so with new SSD and RAID WD Black 1TBs, it's a real quick machine.

Over the years, I've replaced the GFX once, 1GB to 3GB, and the RAM from 8 to 32GB. Now the hard drives. I'm a big data programmer, and use a lot of game dev tools at weekends so, I need the force for when not farming the stuff off to server.

I suspect, the 3.3 ghz processor may eventually slow me down, well, it will. But with a new SSD, I think the mobo and CPU will be fine for another year. Probably next Christmas (2017) I will start build 2. New mobo, cpu and gfx.

In short, I upgrade as and when.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:41 am

If my laptop is incapable of running emulators for 16 bit machines or less , or no longer runs Jill of the Jungle , then its time to upgrade or buy new.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:27 pm

MadManDan79 wrote:I know a few people who spend so much on gaming pcs (graphics, sound cards, bigger hard drives etc) they might as well have just spent the money on a new console.

The only advantage gaming pcs have is less clutter but then again you can have an XBMC Xbox for older games, a cfw PS3 for the next step up and a PS4 or Xbox 1 and those 3 will do everything a gaming pc will.
I don't even know where to start with this...

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:31 pm

I only have a laptop now and am so much happier.

I own no PC games and have not even logged into Steam or GOG at all with the new laptop as I just find it all tedoius and boring.

PC has nothing to offer that I get excited about. People talk about all the things a PC can do, but one thing its completely and utterly failed at is made gaming more fun than a console IMO.

PC ownes talk about resolution, power, specs, framerate, and the technical merits of what PC games can do. its all so sterile and boring and what I find most telling is that they never mention the world FUN.

Marioworld 3D world, and mariokart 8 has provided me with more actual fun than anything I have tried on PC. and thats on easily the weakest home gaming platform currently available. Proving to me that in reality all that extra power means censored all.

That being said if the PC offers you what you want then go for it, its nice we have choices available and while its not for me I realise why some people love PC gaming. Just don't think you are somehow superior because its more powerful, because that has always been ans always will be an extremely childish argument whicj is quite strenge when you consider that PC gamers like to use the argument that they are more mature gamers because they are PC gamers. quite ironic really.
Last edited by RodimusPrime on Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:46 pm

Sureshot wrote:I don't even know where to start with this...
Start by ignoring the trolls. We've managed pretty well so far.

By the way, I just had a quick game of JDoom. It was fun.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:51 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Sureshot wrote:I don't even know where to start with this...
Start by ignoring the trolls. We've managed pretty well so far.

By the way, I just had a quick game of JDoom. It was fun.
Yeah, I think I'm just gonna stay out of this thread for my own sanity.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:58 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:

What if they aren't interested in the lesser gaming experience that is console gaming? :wink:

I know for myself that I'm in the camp that cares very little for modern consoles. Though, I will say that if all you're interested in are modern mainstream games and want the cheapest way to play them, then consoles are probably a better choice. PC gaming is for those of us who like more complex, PC-oriented experiences (you can also use it to play console ports in higher quality but I find that's a bit of a waste) and like to mess with various creativity programs, modding and even game creation. You can't do that on a console, now can you? :wink:

I see you have decided to stop pretending you are trolling now.

At least I hope it is, because if its not then I can only apologise for whatever mentall condition you are afflicted with.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:13 pm

My last PC was a Windows XP machine, bought in 2001, and junked only when the operating system failed to update in April 2014 and just kept locking up, it took five minutes to boot, but still accessed the internet, ran paint shop pro etc.

Replaced it with a lap top that I have a feeling may last a considerable time too.