What type of PC Upgrader are you?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

So what type of PC Upgrader are you?

One that upgrades when there is a great new game with specs that demand fresh investment?
9%
One who waits until the PC has truly, truly run out its course and has been on its dying legs for years?
73%
One that buys a fresh new system every few years just to keep up with the latest?
9%
One that upgrades and keeps upgrading until things cant go any further?
9%
One that treats it like a damn hot rod with all the fluro lights and nitro systems and puts every cent into it?
No votes

Total votes: 33

Megamixer

Re: What type of PC Upgrader are you?

Post by Megamixer » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:49 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Sureshot wrote:I don't even know where to start with this...
Start by ignoring the trolls. We've managed pretty well so far.
To be fair, I believe MadManDan79's post was a genuine post not an attempt at baiting or knocking PC owners. If you want something more brazen to chew on then the following post made me shake my head. The first line is nothing other than ridiculous. The paragraph afterwards seems to suggest that console gamers are less intelligent human beings and not a part of some enlightened circle. Then again, it was exactly the post I expected so I'm not surprised.
outdated_gamer wrote:What if they aren't interested in the lesser gaming experience that is console gaming? :wink:

I know for myself that I'm in the camp that cares very little for modern consoles. Though, I will say that if all you're interested in are modern mainstream games and want the cheapest way to play them, then consoles are probably a better choice. PC gaming is for those of us who like more complex, PC-oriented experiences (you can also use it to play console ports in higher quality but I find that's a bit of a waste) and like to mess with various creativity programs, modding and even game creation. You can't do that on a console, now can you? :wink:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Matt_B wrote:
Sureshot wrote:I don't even know where to start with this...
Start by ignoring the trolls. We've managed pretty well so far.
To be fair, I believe MadManDan79's post was a genuine post not an attempt at baiting or knocking PC owners. If you want something more brazen to chew on then the following post made me shake my head. The first line is nothing other than ridiculous. The paragraph afterwards seems to suggest that console gamers are less intelligent human beings and not a part of some enlightened circle. Then again, it was exactly the post I expected so I'm not surprised.
Yep. I'll acknowledge that it might have been a post from someone genuinely unaware that there are large numbers of games that you can only play on a PC, that PC versions of crossplatform games usually offer unique graphical options, that modding exists, and all the other reasons why people might prefer the PC for gaming. Yet, at the same time, still has a number of friends who spend a huge amount of money on constantly upgrading their PCs.

I only assumed he was trolling because it stretched the bounds of plausibility less; still perhaps Dan can clear that up for us? There's absolutely no hard feeling from me if it was just a post made out of ignorance or a clumsily expressed personal opinion. I always try to interpret other people's posts as charitably as possible, but sometimes mistakes will be made.
outdated_gamer wrote:What if they aren't interested in the lesser gaming experience that is console gaming? :wink:

I know for myself that I'm in the camp that cares very little for modern consoles. Though, I will say that if all you're interested in are modern mainstream games and want the cheapest way to play them, then consoles are probably a better choice. PC gaming is for those of us who like more complex, PC-oriented experiences (you can also use it to play console ports in higher quality but I find that's a bit of a waste) and like to mess with various creativity programs, modding and even game creation. You can't do that on a console, now can you? :wink:
I saw it.

I assumed that the first paragraph was a joke. You might not think much of it, and I doubt it's likely to make Michael McIntyre's repertoire any time soon, but the smiley at the end makes it pretty clear that it's in jest.

As for the second paragraph, I'd suggest you consult a psychologist if it makes you feel that way. To me it just reads as someone's opinions on why they prefer gaming on PCs. Certainly, if your idea of fun is modding and complex strategy games the platform is the way to go, but I don't any remarks on the intellect of console gamers to take exception to.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:28 am

Lets clear this up. I was in no way knocking PC owners I just said it was a rather expensive hobby but if they're happy with upgrading a PC then fine thats their choice and I'm happy for them. I also stated in a later post that I do own a laptop that can play games on it but I choose not to play many games on it. If people want to be childish about claiming that I'm trolling when I'm really just having my opinion then thats up to them, but I've got more important things to do...

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:33 am

Maybe a suggestion, if you have no interest in PC gaming, think we are all elitist jerks and basement dwelling social outcasts or that there is nothing that PCs offer that you can't get from your console, then don't bother posting on this thread.
I was quite happy when I saw the topic as we don't get many PC-centric threads but reading through some of the posts has annoyed the hell out of me.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:06 am

Matt_B wrote:I saw it.

I assumed that the first paragraph was a joke. You might not think much of it, and I doubt it's likely to make Michael McIntyre's repertoire any time soon, but the smiley at the end makes it pretty clear that it's in jest.
The emoticon in question would certainly point to such a statement being made in jest...if it wasn't utilised by the poster at the end of every such statement or 'opinion' relating to the advantages of PC gaming versus console gaming. It's not a 'Get out of Jail Free' card that makes it okay to post the same tiresome PC promotion over and over. It's like if I regularly entered into a PC thread or PC orientated topic and posted a line in the vein of:

"PC gaming definitely has it's advantages but if you're looking for a more accessible, fun gaming experience then there are always consoles... :wink: "

You might deny it but that sort of thing would grate with you and other PC gamers pretty quickly. I wouldn't post such things though as there's no point. It's true that PC gaming is not my cup of tea but I have played and enjoyed several PC games in the past so I would in no way consider it a 'lesser' platform. My lack of interest is exactly the same as my lack of interest for the Xbox One or Android/iOS gaming - it's just another platform and I wouldn't dream of posting a batch of (for example) PS4 or Wii-U promotion into the mix of a PC discussion. It's not relevant and it's not wanted. This is probably why a small group of vocal users have expressed their irritation recently.

There's a fair amount of PC talk and promotion in console-related topics for example. Every now and then it's not even an issue but I can predict what OD will say before he's even posted it. It's okay though because I have taken the necessary steps.

For the record, I have no problem with the PC as a gaming platform and if I have insulted or intruded in any way then I apologise to the affected people.
Matt_B wrote:As for the second paragraph, I'd suggest you consult a psychologist if it makes you feel that way.
I appreciate you taking the time to provide me with a free medical assessment. Thank you.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:53 am

I've never seen the PC as something for playing games on so I've never really seen the need to have something that's top notch, the last time mine got upgraded/renewed was when my xp one died about ten years ago, I imagine the same will happen with my current one at some point.
Splink!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:57 am

pc gaming is pretty poor so as long as mine can play Football Manager that's all that matters

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:11 am

Option 2 for me, work with computers all day, would rather not feel like I have work to do at home. Brought a new motherboard bundle a few months ago, because the last one was really struggling.....that was an 8 year old AMD processor. As long as I can play Football Manager on my Ubuntu rig, I am happy...PS4 for all other gaming!

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:40 am

Matt_B wrote: I assumed that the first paragraph was a joke. You might not think much of it, and I doubt it's likely to make Michael McIntyre's repertoire any time soon, but the smiley at the end makes it pretty clear that it's in jest.
It was indeed written in a light hearted manner. But the suggestion that those who put a lot into PC gaming should just settle for a console is nonsensical. Obviously someone who poured a lot of time, money and effort into some hobby does not need to be told that he should do something else. Especially not when his sparkling new 2K Euro gaming rig can do just about anything better than a console can do. Would be like saying to an Arcade place owner or someone who could play all the lastest Arcade releases all he wanted back in the 80s or 90s that consoles are "just as good". :wink:
RodimusPrime wrote: I said that when arguing about whats best, PC owners always concentrate on specs and stayts and actually having fun with the games is the last thing they mention. I never said PC owners don't know how to have fun, just that power and specs seem more important.
That's your subjective observation. And why exactly would it be wrong to be enthusiastic about tech? PC gaming usually draws the type of people who are interested or knowledgeable about hardware or software, it's only natural they are interested in such matters. And someone who plays StarCraft may have just as much fun as you playing Mario Kart, just that for him it's different reasons why he enjoys it.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:03 am

outdated_gamer wrote:And why exactly would it be wrong to be enthusiastic about tech? PC gaming usually draws the type of people who are interested or knowledgeable about hardware or software, it's only natural they are interested in such matters. And someone who plays StarCraft may have just as much fun as you playing Mario Kart, just that for him it's different reasons why he enjoys it.
A PC gamer has to be knowledgeable about tech unless he's happy spending hundreds on a machine he knows nothing about and takes pot luck whenever he buys a game. Such ignorance is a luxury that belongs to console gamers.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:17 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
Matt_B wrote: I assumed that the first paragraph was a joke. You might not think much of it, and I doubt it's likely to make Michael McIntyre's repertoire any time soon, but the smiley at the end makes it pretty clear that it's in jest.
It was indeed written in a light hearted manner. But the suggestion that those who put a lot into PC gaming should just settle for a console is nonsensical. Obviously someone who poured a lot of time, money and effort into some hobby does not need to be told that he should do something else. Especially not when his sparkling new 2K Euro gaming rig can do just about anything better than a console can do. Would be like saying to an Arcade place owner or someone who could play all the lastest Arcade releases all he wanted back in the 80s or 90s that consoles are "just as good". :wink:
RodimusPrime wrote: I said that when arguing about whats best, PC owners always concentrate on specs and stayts and actually having fun with the games is the last thing they mention. I never said PC owners don't know how to have fun, just that power and specs seem more important.
Why is choosing a console " settling ". you just can't help being a censored about it.

A PC can do anything a console can do, maybe it can potentially do anything a console can do, but the important matter for me and many others is that despite it being able to run many console games, there simply is no way to do so.

Its about whats available, not what potentially can be done, and simple fact is that consoles have dozens upon dozens of games unavailable to PC owners. No amount of extra power or specs will change that.

The Arcades in the 90s is a good example actually, apart from one little teensey weensy fact. Arcades provided a certain type of game, despite being massively less powerful you needed a home console to play games like Zelda and many other games that were more than just a short blast.

Is it sinking in yet, the power is irrelevant, it has and always has been about the games available. PCs have some great exclusives, and if those types of games are your thing then yes the PC may be better, but if its not then no amount of extra POWAH is going to make the PC a better gaming experience as it just does not have the games available some people want.

I mean surely this is a basic as it gets and at some point you have to start actually understanding.
That's your subjective observation. And why exactly would it be wrong to be enthusiastic about tech? PC gaming usually draws the type of people who are interested or knowledgeable about hardware or software, it's only natural they are interested in such matters. And someone who plays StarCraft may have just as much fun as you playing Mario Kart, just that for him it's different reasons why he enjoys it.[/quote]

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:41 am

RodimusPrime wrote: Is it sinking in yet, the power is irrelevant, it has and always has been about the games available.
That statement makes no sense. You wouldn't have Mario 64 or GoldenEye if consoles would remain 16-bit 2D focused systems, now would you?
:wink:

You do need hardware to have software written for it. Certain type of games are not possible on insufficient hardware or have to be completely reworked to run on it. Same with controllers, some type of games just don't work well on some type of controllers.

If you find game consoles and their games more suited for you that's fine and all, I just don't see a point in going into a thread about the PC (not even necessarily a gaming thread at that) and saying how people who invest into the platform are "in the wrong". To each their own. :wink:

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:53 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote: Is it sinking in yet, the power is irrelevant, it has and always has been about the games available.
That statement makes no sense. You wouldn't have Mario 64 or GoldenEye if consoles would remain 16-bit 2D focused systems, now would you?
:wink:

You do need hardware to have software written for it. Certain type of games are not possible on insufficient hardware or have to be completely reworked to run on it. Same with controllers, some type of games just don't work well on some type of controllers.

If you find game consoles and their games more suited for you that's fine and all, I just don't see a point in going into a thread about the PC (not even necessarily a gaming thread at that) and saying how people who invest into the platform are "in the wrong". To each their own. :wink:
Are you completely dumb, we are not talking about a natural progression in terms of power. We are not saying that progression in technology is not something to look forward too, just that the power is no good if there are no games you want.

We are comparing like for like systems out at the same time, and history has shown that more powerful hardware has been less successful plenty of times directly as a result of games available.

And as for not understanding why people come into this thread and knock PCs. well mayne you need to take a little of your own advice, plus as this was all about how you upgrade your PC, surely having some people point out that they dont upgrade is as valid an opinion to share as any other.

So as I said, its all about the games avaialable.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:01 pm

Well I think I have already written everything that can be written so I back out of this fruitless "discussion". :wink:

Meanwhile, I will enjoy some Total War while browsing the internet, watching a video and emulating your precious console in better visual quality and doing some texture work for a mod I'm currently making all at the same time... :wink:

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:11 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:Well I think I have already written everything that can be written so I back out of this fruitless "discussion". :wink:

Meanwhile, I will enjoy some Total War while browsing the internet, watching a video and emulating your precious console in better visual quality and doing some texture work for a mod I'm currently making all at the same time... :wink:

All at the exact same time eh?