What type of PC Upgrader are you?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

So what type of PC Upgrader are you?

One that upgrades when there is a great new game with specs that demand fresh investment?
9%
One who waits until the PC has truly, truly run out its course and has been on its dying legs for years?
73%
One that buys a fresh new system every few years just to keep up with the latest?
9%
One that upgrades and keeps upgrading until things cant go any further?
9%
One that treats it like a damn hot rod with all the fluro lights and nitro systems and puts every cent into it?
No votes

Total votes: 33

ncf1

What type of PC Upgrader are you?

Post by ncf1 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:14 pm

Which of these fits you best?

PostieDoc

Re: What type of PC Upgrader are you?

Post by PostieDoc » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:41 pm

double post
Last edited by PostieDoc on Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:41 pm

I like to get a new system every three or four years. Am thinking about upgrading end of this year depending on how the HBM2 cards turn out.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:41 pm

I used to keep up with the latest CPUs and graphics cards, spent tons of cash over the years. Nowadays, I find I don't need to , or maybe it's just the games I'm playing.

Last serious upgrade was a solid state drive, which I'm very happy with. Next upgrade? Not sure when I will tbh.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:43 pm

I just upgrade things when the price is right. I don't need the latest and greatest and I'm quite happy to stay behind and play older games.

The PC I'm using at the moment was a £30 local pick up on eBay. It came in a CIT Vantage case and has an AMD dual core processor at 2.3 Ghz, 250GB hard drive and 4GB RAM (DDR2). All I had to do was plug in my trusty HD 5450 and a PCIe Wi-Fi card and install Linux Mint.

I have an upgrade waiting in the wings, though. Just before Christmas, I bought a new motherboard and a Richmond APU. I also have a 128GB SSD waiting to be used. I just need to get some 8GB RAM and a 1TB hard drive and I'll have everything I need for the build. Fortunately, I have a modular Corsair PSU from a previous build that I can use for this one.

But, for now, I'm quite happy using my £30 rig as is.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:14 pm

I used the same PC for 10 years until quite recently, so I think you can guess what I picked . . .

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:19 pm

I like to make sure my PC is totally incapable of playing any games that were released in the last seven years. Upgrade? Fcuk off.
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:58 pm

I know a few people who spend so much on gaming pcs (graphics, sound cards, bigger hard drives etc) they might as well have just spent the money on a new console.

The only advantage gaming pcs have is less clutter but then again you can have an XBMC Xbox for older games, a cfw PS3 for the next step up and a PS4 or Xbox 1 and those 3 will do everything a gaming pc will.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:04 pm

One that upgrades and keeps upgrading until things cant go any further.

I am at the limit for my CPU on this motherboard but everything still runs brilliantly - so no upgrade to complete new stuff anytime soon.... but there will be that day when it needs to be done!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:36 pm

I last bought a complete desktop PC in 1993, so its upgrades all the way for me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:30 am

I'm somewhere between options 1 and 2. I'll run a PC for ages, but the upgrade point tends to be when most newish games barely run on it. If I can play the big hits from the last couple of years, I'm happy. I do tend to keep an older PC around as a workhorse downloady thing under the telly too. That old thing must be a decade old at least.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:13 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I'm somewhere between options 1 and 2. I'll run a PC for ages, but the upgrade point tends to be when most newish games barely run on it. If I can play the big hits from the last couple of years, I'm happy. I do tend to keep an older PC around as a workhorse downloady thing under the telly too. That old thing must be a decade old at least.
Yeah, me too. I've built PCs just for single games (Doom 3 for example), but then I just run them into the ground. I've been using the same Mac laptop since 2007!

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:12 am

I buy a fully new PC after a few years time when it's not possible to upgrade my old one anymore. In the meanwhile I upgrade it as needed, adding more RAM, changing GPU, CPU, etc. Suffice to say I have burnt all the graphics cards I owned... :wink:

However I have been upgrading a lot more in the past than these times. I mostly play older games and do things that don't require much graphical power so there's no need to. I don't consider myself a "mainstream" gamer that would have to play the latest overhyped "AAA" game out there.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:13 am

My PC is from 2003. Is that considered "retro"? :lol: It still has Windows XP on it. I did get a new graphics card for it(for Half Life 2) and did upgrade to 1 Gb of RAM for it. It is on its last legs now. I use my Imac at the moment for Steam. I do generally get a PC and tend to run it for a long time. I never been one to get the latest upgrades - I did get a hand me down 3D card from my Dad, back in the days of Quake II.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:20 pm

For me I will let a PC run its course as long as possible, but if there is a game or program I really, really really want then I will still wait a bit, and then throw down the cash for a new system. But generally I will keep it as long as possible, usually upping the RAM if need be over time, then the video card as games become more demanding, and then finally throwing in the towel when things just don't start running too well anymore.

I tend to do the same with my cars, but this, believe me, is not a very smart nor healthy thing to do. You create all sorts of traffic jams.