Favourite Resident Evil?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

My favourite of the first three Resident Evil's is...

Resident Evil
37%
Resident Evil 2
52%
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
11%

Total votes: 27

Lord Arse!

Favourite Resident Evil?

Post by Lord Arse! » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:42 pm

Resident Evil is 20 years old TODAY (22/03/16)! So, which is your favourite of the original PS1 trilogy?

gunbladelad

Re: Favourite Resident Evil?

Post by gunbladelad » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:46 pm

If it wasn't for the poll then I have a hunch this would've got merged into the other Resident Evil topic.
Where logic won't work, I will

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:25 am

2 for me.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:59 am

The second game for me, it upped the zombie count, added better voice acting and story line, I found the third game a bit of a chore with the chemical mixing angle.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:57 am

Well, the voice acting in the original Resident Evil was rather "classic" - whether for the right reasons or not (you can make a 'Jill Sandwich' out of the arguements for that one) - but Resi 2's was probably the superior out the two.

I did have to wonder about Barry in the first Resident Evil though - he had some rather 'unusual' dialogue - including commenting that he'd found a weapon that was effective against living things. Personally I have to wonder what kind of weapon would be ineffective against living things... :lol:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:48 pm

Nemesis for me. That's nothing against the first two games though as they are also both fantastic. I just preferred the city, extra ammo and terrifying Nemesis encounters that little bit more. Quite a few jump scares involved in RE3 as well (such as the bit where zombies explode out of a burning car which - naturally - you have already passed and not suffered a scare the first time around).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:45 am

All three are terrific, but RE2 was always my fave. Cannot understand why it hasn't been done along REmake lines

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:35 pm

kiwimike wrote:All three are terrific, but RE2 was always my fave. Cannot understand why it hasn't been done along REmake lines
Well an official remake is happening now (and has been known about for some time). I hope they incorporate RE3 into the game as well since it happens at the same time as 2.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:55 pm

Megamixer wrote:
kiwimike wrote:All three are terrific, but RE2 was always my fave. Cannot understand why it hasn't been done along REmake lines
Well an official remake is happening now (and has been known about for some time). I hope they incorporate RE3 into the game as well since it happens at the same time as 2.
Yeah for sure. Been long, long overdue. Just never understood why when the fantastic REmake came out on the cube why at least RE2 and IMO RE3 as well didn't get the same treatment. Certainly enough fans were praising the REmake and screaming for them. :)

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:19 pm

I had kinda hoped that they were going to port RE2 over to the DS after they did the first game. It would've been perfect for multiplayer having one player control Leon while the other controls Claire - essentially letting people play the A and B stories at the same time.

Sadly I believe poor sales killed that off before it ever started.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:44 am

Out of those, it has to be resident evil 2, but overall for me it's Code Veronica, followed by res evil Zero, and res evil 2

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:16 am

RE2 is my favourite, but RE3 is imo the better game, just felt more 'complete'

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:46 am

Resident Evil 3, Resi 2 is good but the amount of boss fights is just frustrating and makes the game drag towards the end! The amount of times you kill Burkin and Tyrant just for them to mutate Into more powerful bosses makes the second half of the game seem a boss rush..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:51 am

RE2 by far for me. It had the best visuals, best character control of the early games IMO and just played so brilliantly - it was balanced to a perfect T and had good enough pacing to make it only the second RE game I've ever actually finished. (RE5 was the other one).

Nin10dofan

Post by Nin10dofan » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:58 pm

I played resi 1 on PlayStation 1. But I didn't really play it till the remaster on gamecube. I bought eternal darkness and tought it was the best game I ever played. When I was finished playing it,
I went and bought all the rereleased remastered resi games for the gamecube they were resi zero,resi ,resi 2,resi 3 and then desk 4 when it came out, brilliant.