BBC Master, An appreciation Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mozart

Post by Mozart » Wed May 23, 2007 6:12 pm

It could be the old Watford floppy interface causing the trouble... do you see any mention of Watford on the screen?
Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death ... I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Thu May 24, 2007 5:38 am

Mozart wrote:It could be the old Watford floppy interface causing the trouble... do you see any mention of Watford on the screen?
All my screen shows is Acorn 1770 DFS. No mention of Watford.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri May 25, 2007 10:00 am

It looks like it should be quite simple to make a serial cable to connect the BBC Micro to a PC.

So, is there and software that could transfer stuff (like the format command files, or images of BBC disks etc) from the PC to the BEEB?

I think I’m going to have to haul out my old BEEB and muck about with wires now!!!
:roll:

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Fri May 25, 2007 2:43 pm

GarryG wrote:It looks like it should be quite simple to make a serial cable to connect the BBC Micro to a PC.

So, is there and software that could transfer stuff (like the format command files, or images of BBC disks etc) from the PC to the BEEB?

I think I’m going to have to haul out my old BEEB and muck about with wires now!!!
:roll:
Yep theres plenty of software, have a look here:

http://www.stairwaytohell.com/sthforums ... acd7bc0753

Just need some sort of serial connector.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Sat May 26, 2007 9:15 pm

Why not use a Beeb emulator on PC to transfer the images to disc? That's how I've done my Elk ones. :)

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon May 28, 2007 5:17 am

So what type of 5.25" floppy drive would I need in the PC in order to do this?

My 'retro' pc's set up with a 1.44MB 5.25" drive, but I thought this was incompatable with the 40/80 track system used by the BBC?

Would an older 720KB 5.25" drive work?

I also have a double drive 40/80 switchable Cumana unit attached to the BBC, is it atoll possible to connect this into the PC?

As you can see, I'm all fairly new to this 'connecting to a BBC' think, but it looks interesting...

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Mon May 28, 2007 9:15 am

GarryG wrote:So what type of 5.25" floppy drive would I need in the PC in order to do this?

My 'retro' pc's set up with a 1.44MB 5.25" drive, but I thought this was incompatable with the 40/80 track system used by the BBC?

Would an older 720KB 5.25" drive work?

I also have a double drive 40/80 switchable Cumana unit attached to the BBC, is it atoll possible to connect this into the PC?

As you can see, I'm all fairly new to this 'connecting to a BBC' think, but it looks interesting...
Best bet is to have a gander at the forums I posted a link to just 3 posts up. Theres a ton of information on how to do all this :)