BBC Master, An appreciation Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Thu May 17, 2007 5:50 pm

So the system arrived today but thanks to parcelforce messing up delivery Im short of a monitor until tomorrow. However I couldnt be happier with it theres a ton of stuff included that wasnt even mentioned in the auction! Books, manuals, discs etc etc

One small problem though is that the included printer leaked red ink EVERYWHERE! Lucky I have no use for it, but a shame none the less.

One extra I wasnt expecting was a fully boxed AMX Mouse. Comes with loads of graphic software and ROM chip. Cant find head nor hair of it on ebay so Im assuming this is a pretty rare finding?
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

Mozart

Post by Mozart » Thu May 17, 2007 6:07 pm

Lorfarius wrote: One extra I wasnt expecting was a fully boxed AMX Mouse. Comes with loads of graphic software and ROM chip. Cant find head nor hair of it on ebay so Im assuming this is a pretty rare finding?
Here's hoping the printer didn't leak on the good stuff! (bin it though, you'll never want to use it!)

The mouse might be rare... but probably not valuable, except to Master Compact users :D
Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death ... I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Thu May 17, 2007 6:12 pm

Mozart wrote:
Lorfarius wrote: One extra I wasnt expecting was a fully boxed AMX Mouse. Comes with loads of graphic software and ROM chip. Cant find head nor hair of it on ebay so Im assuming this is a pretty rare finding?
Here's hoping the printer didn't leak on the good stuff! (bin it though, you'll never want to use it!)

The mouse might be rare... but probably not valuable, except to Master Compact users :D
Everything was well wrapped in bags and bubblewrap so luckily nothing was covered. However when I pulled it out of the parcel it went all over my lovely wooden flooring :(

The mouse is really impressive considering the computer its for. I never even knew there were such programs available way back then. Ill prolly just bung it back on Ebay though as I wont use it. Will help to pay for a 40/80 track disc drive :D

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Fri May 18, 2007 1:51 pm

Bloody hell. The monitor I bought with the BBC has been delayed by Parcelforce and wont arrive till Monday now. The TV cable I have for it wont fit into the back of my normal TV so no BBC this weekend for me :(

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Fri May 18, 2007 7:42 pm

Lorfarius wrote:So the system arrived today but thanks to parcelforce messing up delivery Im short of a monitor until tomorrow.
Parcelforce. Bloody ?@#$!"*$$£. They've just "lost" a parcel of mine. An Archimedes A420. Took me ages to find one as well. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
One extra I wasnt expecting was a fully boxed AMX Mouse. Comes with loads of graphic software and ROM chip. Cant find head nor hair of it on ebay so Im assuming this is a pretty rare finding?
The AMX mice are quite rare. Especially if they have the software for them. It's even rarer to find one that actually works. I've bought two in the past and neither of them are fully working (one of the buttons on each doesn't work). :(

One thing that is even rarer is to find a Beeb with a CNC machining program in ROM! :shock: One sold on Ebay a few weeks ago and it went for £40 plus P&P. :)

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sat May 19, 2007 11:44 am

One thing that is even rarer is to find a Beeb with a CNC machining program in ROM! :shock: One sold on Ebay a few weeks ago and it went for £40 plus P&P. :)
Whats a CNC machining program? The ROM thingy I mentioned? Im pretty sure it goes with the mouse. Its basically a big shiny black cartridge with two ROM slots on the front. Theres a ROM chip in there with an AMX sticker. I assume it goes with the mouse.

The mouse itself is fully boxed with poly inserts, instructions and software. The actually box does mention an EPROM. Its all gibberish to me :shock:

Good news is that it all works (or at least it does according to the fella I bought it from). Wont know for sure until Monday when I get my monitor.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Sat May 19, 2007 7:26 pm

CNC programs are used in factories mainly. Basically you take a lump of something (aluminium, wood, etc.), stick it in a machine and then you use the computer with the CNC program to carve it into something (usually using a plan made with a CAD program). Mostly used these days to make bike and car parts.

The program that normally comes with the AMX mouse is usually a paint type of thing or a CAD program. CAD programs are used to make the patterns for the CNC program to use. They can also be used to design houses, cars, etc.

Just for reference CNC stands for Computer Numeric Control and CAD stands for Computer Aided Design. :)

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun May 20, 2007 6:48 am

Xesh wrote:CNC programs are used in factories mainly. Basically you take a lump of something (aluminium, wood, etc.), stick it in a machine and then you use the computer with the CNC program to carve it into something (usually using a plan made with a CAD program). Mostly used these days to make bike and car parts.

The program that normally comes with the AMX mouse is usually a paint type of thing or a CAD program. CAD programs are used to make the patterns for the CNC program to use. They can also be used to design houses, cars, etc.

Just for reference CNC stands for Computer Numeric Control and CAD stands for Computer Aided Design. :)
My Dad works with a CNC machine, they are massive and bloody noisey aswell
Watching you sleep since 1990

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sun May 20, 2007 3:48 pm

Digging through the games that came with the Master (I still cant play it yet without a monitor :( ) and came across a boxed copy of Lord of The Rings Part One. Its in excellent condition and pretty much good as new. However when I started to read the manual it said that the game wasnt compatible with the series of Master computers :(

Is this a common situation with a lot of BBC games? I was under the impression that the Master was just a BBC Micro with extra memory.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Sun May 20, 2007 4:07 pm

It uses a different processor among other things. It is broadly compatible but some things are different. If, for example, a program is written for the Beeb using undocumented features then it may not be compatible with the Master.

You can always try the program. The worst that can happen is that it won't work.

I've used many games on my PC that say they're not compatible with XP but I've managed to get them working. :)

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sun May 20, 2007 4:30 pm

Xesh wrote:It uses a different processor among other things. It is broadly compatible but some things are different. If, for example, a program is written for the Beeb using undocumented features then it may not be compatible with the Master.

You can always try the program. The worst that can happen is that it won't work.

I've used many games on my PC that say they're not compatible with XP but I've managed to get them working. :)
It was a weird thing to see. Ive played the game on emulation and its just a simple text adventure. There isnt even any graphics. I would have expected it to be cross platform :(

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Sun May 20, 2007 4:33 pm

I'm not sure when it was released. If it was before 1986 then the Master wasn't out then and so wouldn't be mentioned on the packing. A text adventure should work though. :)

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sun May 20, 2007 5:02 pm

Xesh wrote:I'm not sure when it was released. If it was before 1986 then the Master wasn't out then and so wouldn't be mentioned on the packing. A text adventure should work though. :)
Theres a little paper insert that says it aint so. Ill just have to give it a try tomorrow.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Mon May 21, 2007 10:50 am

Does anyone know the general commands for using a BBC disc drive? :oops:

Id like to know how to view the contents, format a disc, load it etc. I dont have a manual of any type and Im stuck!

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon May 21, 2007 11:02 am

*. or *CAT - shows you the dir of the disk in drive 0
CHAIN"<programname>" or CH."<programname>" - the most used command to load things, although Shift+Break can be used to load bootable disks.
*FORMAT, *FORM80 or *FORM40 - I believe using these and 0 0 afterwards will format drive 0 (depending on preference, I think it defaults to 0 if you put nothing afterwards anyway), although type *HELP DFS as commands can differ between rom versions.

Edit: here is a really nice DFS guide: http://bbc.nvg.org/doc/DFS.rtf