BBC Master, An appreciation Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Lorfarius

BBC Master, An appreciation Thread

Post by Lorfarius » Thu May 10, 2007 10:07 am

This month it seems my retro tastes are steering me towards the wonders of Elite on the good ole BBC Micro systems. Had a glance at Ebay and it seems the BBC Master is the way to go for a basic system.

Is there anything I should be wary of? Certain accessories that I should be looking at (Carts etc) and if you own one then please lets hear some good things about it :) as well as any games that are definite must haves. The only game that I can recall from my youth is Magic Mushrooms and Grannys Garden.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu May 10, 2007 10:27 am

Used to play 'Sim' on my mates BBC a ton, really loved that game

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu May 10, 2007 11:05 am

Game recommendations here (both in Randall's quote and my post):

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... c&start=26

As I said in a recent post, for starters, you can't really go wrong with tracking down the Play It Again Sam and Superior Collection compilations.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu May 10, 2007 11:13 am

The enhanced versions of Elite, Exile and Firetrack would be my three must-have games for the BBC Master. Most good BBC games work on it too, but some of them needed a bit of rewriting and hack-work.

The best bit of hardware I can think of is the 80186 second processor which allows you to run a PC emulator on the machine, although it's a little bit dodgy on the compatability front.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu May 10, 2007 11:18 am

Matt_B wrote:The enhanced versions of Elite, Exile and Firetrack would be my three must-have games for the BBC Master. Most good BBC games work on it too, but some of them needed a bit of rewriting and hack-work.
Yeah, there were some games that just would not work on my Master. Some of them did via BBC B emulation, but some only ever worked on a pure B. My hacking skills weren't up to much, so it was tough luck in some cases :|

forestville

Post by forestville » Thu May 10, 2007 12:01 pm

for the bbc i recommend Mr EE it is just like Mr Do, a very good game

:D
Press play on tape

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu May 10, 2007 5:34 pm

it was a top conversion of mr do proving that the beeb had the muscle to do near arcade perfect conversion if anyone would just put the effort in.

To be honest, 99.9% of software was available on the Beeb B. It was the most popular machine by far and the ideal set up for playing BBC based software is a Beeb B with a 3.5" disc drive.

I have an old laptop which is dedicated toi beeb and speccy emulation and nothing else and its pretty impressive what you can do by tweakinf the settings of beebem a bit. It basically a portable BBC all versions!!!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Utini

Post by Utini » Thu May 10, 2007 6:21 pm

Lots of classics on the Beeb - but one to absolutely check out is Quest! 9I think it works on the Master too!)
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

forestville

Post by forestville » Thu May 10, 2007 7:04 pm

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/com ... st=1&c=850

here is some info on the bbc master

:D
Press play on tape

Mozart

Post by Mozart » Thu May 10, 2007 7:39 pm

Wow, I never knew Google could be so useful!

Sorry, first post, but the Master was an awesome computer! Of all the computers I've ever owned, I think the Beeb B comes first, and the Master a close second!

I'm sure it's been mentioned previously, but Exile on the master was... well a Master piece!
Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death ... I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Thu May 10, 2007 8:02 pm

You can use the second processors from the Beeb on the Master too. Don't know if you need a different version of Hi-BASIC though. Also make sure that you don't get a Master ET as these machines will only work on an Econet. They look very similar to the Master 128 and one of my mates got one. He then wondered why he couldn't do anything with it! Luckily, though, they are fairly hard to come by. :) The best ones to get are the Master Turbo and the 512. Both have second processors already fitted internally. The master Turbo has a 65C02 (128K RAM) and the Master 512 has a 80186 (512K RAM). :) The Master 512 can be upgraded to 1Mb RAM (if you can find the right type).

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri May 11, 2007 2:20 am

But still, all the surnames on the registration cards were "School"
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Fri May 11, 2007 3:47 am

Mozart wrote:Sorry, first post, but the Master was an awesome computer! Of all the computers I've ever owned, I think the Beeb B comes first, and the Master a close second!
Is there a big difference between the B and Master? Or is it more a preference of the games :)

Damn Ebay, theres hardly any BBC's available :(
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri May 11, 2007 7:14 am

Dudley wrote:But still, all the surnames on the registration cards were "School"

Don't think so.

personally owned Beeb Bs way outnumbered c64's at our school...
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Mozart

Post by Mozart » Fri May 11, 2007 7:18 am

Lorfarius wrote:
Mozart wrote:Sorry, first post, but the Master was an awesome computer! Of all the computers I've ever owned, I think the Beeb B comes first, and the Master a close second!
Is there a big difference between the B and Master? Or is it more a preference of the games :)

Damn Ebay, theres hardly any BBC's available :(
I always thought of the Master as the Beeb's bigger (but younger!) brother. Compared to the original Beeb it had a lot more going for it with its extravagant 128Kb of Ram and its improved processor. IIRC backwards compatibility was quite good, but when you compared the enhanced Master version of a game compared to vanilla Beeb version you wanted the soft co.'s to release enahnced versions of all your old favourites!

The only thing I didn't like about the Master was the case design. Whilst the Beeb was quite sleek (well as sleek as lump of beige plastic can be), the Master looks like a tank.

What was great about both machines was the potential to tinker with them. I never had a C64, but my 48K Speccy was pretty much a sealed unit you couldn't do much with; the Beeb and Master, on the otherhand, had loads of add-ons and you were actibely encouraged to take the case off and install Roms and daughter boards and so on.

Ah, great days. It's a tough call, but if I didn't have both machines already, and I could only get one or the other, I think I'd get a Master, despite its tank like looks.
Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death ... I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing