PlayStation 4.5?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rayne

Re: PlayStation 4.5?

Post by Rayne » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:39 am

To be fair, the Move launched 3 years before the PS4 was even released, at the time it was marketed as superior motion control for the PS3. Two sports games and a lightgun game or two later and it was quietly shelved. It'd be nice to see it make a comeback, as the tech was absolutely brilliant.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:28 pm

Rayne wrote:To be fair, the Move launched 3 years before the PS4 was even released, at the time it was marketed as superior motion control for the PS3. Two sports games and a lightgun game or two later and it was quietly shelved. It'd be nice to see it make a comeback, as the tech was absolutely brilliant.
I believe it was me who bought your Move starter pack a long time ago when you were getting rid and I have to say, it has just been a House of the Dead Overkill Extended Cut controller. Still need to download House of the Dead 4 and possibly pick up Time Crisis: Razing Storm but otherwise, I haven't found anything else that stands out as being an essential Move experience.

Ergonomically, I think the controller was a horrible design and it cramps my hand after a short while due to the button placement. It looks rubbish as well. It does at least function decently though.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:44 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Rayne wrote:To be fair, the Move launched 3 years before the PS4 was even released, at the time it was marketed as superior motion control for the PS3. Two sports games and a lightgun game or two later and it was quietly shelved. It'd be nice to see it make a comeback, as the tech was absolutely brilliant.
I believe it was me who bought your Move starter pack a long time ago when you were getting rid and I have to say, it has just been a House of the Dead Overkill Extended Cut controller. Still need to download House of the Dead 4 and possibly pick up Time Crisis: Razing Storm but otherwise, I haven't found anything else that stands out as being an essential Move experience.

Ergonomically, I think the controller was a horrible design and it cramps my hand after a short while due to the button placement. It looks rubbish as well. It does at least function decently though.
Well I'm glad you at least got some use out of it! It certainly looks stupid but I never experienced discomfort when using it. To be fair, I only used it for about two days trying demos...

I guess we'll see if it becomes hot property again with the PS4! Fingers crossed

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:40 pm

I recently bought a 4k TV and am chuffed to bits with it. When running 4k content its noticeably better than 1080p, surprisingly so for me.

It really is nice, and well worth the step up. If Sony finds a way to utilise it with the PS4 then, like the right honourable Nokgod said earlier, I'll be all over it like a rash.

Eat your nans pants

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:20 pm

crusto wrote:If Sony finds a way to utilise it with the PS4 then, like the right honourable Nokgod said earlier, I'll be all over it like a rash.
Yes, crusto, same here. If it's in a software update then no worries, but if it's a new version of the console then I guess its time to sell up the current model and get the new one. A tad more inconveniant but workable soluton.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:31 am

I'd quite happily sell my launch PS4 and buy an upgraded 4k version if it'll offer an improvement, however its implemented. I've invested in 4k tech so why spurn the opportunity to use it?
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:29 pm

Game devs already complain about it:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087- ... 4/73558810

Basically the idea here is that they would have to develop two seperate versions, as the upgraded console would be like a new system to them. Apparently it's not possible to have the kind of graphic scalability as seen on PC on the consoles.

William S

Post by William S » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:09 am

Giant Bomb News
by Austin Walker on April 18, 2016

Sources: The Upgraded PlayStation 4 is Codenamed NEO, Contains Upgraded CPU, GPU, RAM

Though the NEO will offer greater visual fidelity than the original PS4, Sony is taking measures not to split their user base in two.

Earlier this year, rumors began to fly that Sony would release an upgraded version of the PlayStation 4, a console often called the PS4.5 or the PS4K by fans and press. Today, multiple sources have confirmed for us details of the project, which is internally referred to as the NEO. No price was provided, but previous reports indicate that the NEO would sell at $399. At time of publishing, Sony has not returned our request for comment, but we will update this story if the company responds.

The NEO will feature a higher clock speed than the original PS4, an improved GPU, and higher bandwidth on the memory. The documents we've received note that the HDD in the NEO is the same as that in the original PlayStation 4, but it's not clear if that means in terms of capacity or connection speed. Starting in October, every PS4 game is required to ship with both a “Base Mode” which will run on the currently available PS4 and a “NEO Mode” for use on the new console.

Original PS4
CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 1.6 GHz
GPU: AMD GCN, 18 CUs at 800 MHz
Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 176 GB/s

NEO
CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1 GHz
GPU: Improved AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911 MHz
Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s

Games running in NEO mode will be able to use the hardware upgrades (and an additional 512 MiB in the memory budget) to offer increased and more stable frame rate and higher visual fidelity, at least when those games run at 1080p on HDTVs. The NEO will also support 4K image output, but games themselves are not required to be 4K native.

In the documents we’ve received, Sony offers suggestions for reaching 4K/UltraHD resolutions for NEO mode game builds, but they're also giving developers a degree of freedom with how to approach this. 4K TV owners should expect the NEO to upscale games to fit the format, but one place Sony is unwilling to bend is on frame rate. Throughout the documents, Sony repeatedly reminds developers that the frame rate of games in NEO Mode must meet or exceed the frame rate of the game on the original PS4 system.

The NEO will not supplant the current PS4, but will exist alongside of it and use the same user environment. The PS4 and NEO will use the same PSN store, connect to the same online communities, and offer the same user experience, so expect to see the same cross media bar that you’re used to. Players will be able to retain all of the purchases they made on the PS4.

Sony seems committed to keeping the NEO and the original PS4 player bases connected. As such, there will be no NEO-only games, and Sony will not let developers separate NEO users from original PS4 players while playing on PSN. Likewise, Sony explicitly and repeatedly states that developers cannot offer exclusive gameplay options or special unlockables for NEO players—so don’t expect NEO owners to get a level editor or a special Rocket League car that you won’t have access to on your original PS4. That said, so long as both systems have the same feature, the NEO can run an improved version. A local co-op game that features four players on the base PS4 could offer an eight player co-op mode on the NEO, for instance. But again, don't expect those differences to transfer to online modes.

PS4 Base and NEO versions of a game will also need to have parity with regard to peripheral support. So don’t expect NEO Games to have exclusive VR modes. Sony makes no mention of PlayStation VR in the docs we've seen, so it's hard to know what that means for the persistent rumors that this upgraded PS4 will be able to support PSVR without the "breakout box" that the headset ships with. That said, so long as the NEO's upgrades apply to PSVR games, developers should be able to get even more performance out of Sony's VR headset.

Though every PS4 game released as of October of this year will need to support both the original PS4 and the NEO, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the Neo will release in October. Additionally, games released in the late September window will require a day one patch that updates them to NEO standards. The documents we’ve received explicitly note that devs are allowed to launch NEO-ready games before the NEO itself releases.

Games released previous to the NEO can take advantage of this hardware upgrade, but only if developers decide to patch their titles. That isn’t too surprising: This was never going to be a magical “upgrade” device. I'm curious to see if any developers will take advantage of the NEO to improve previous PS4 releases. (I would certainly appreciate it if Bethesda would give the NEO-treatment to Fallout 4).

All of this is pretty well in line with early reports and rumors. A recent Digital Foundry report outlined the likely limits of an upgraded PS4, and the info we've received from sources seems in line with those findings.

I'm happy that Sony will take steps to keep the PS4 and NEO users connected, and that they are setting strict guidelines for developers. There's a chance that will help to keep the user base unified despite new hardware entering the market. This could be a hard sell to those users who only recently purchased a PS4 if there isn't an upgrade path made available to them. At the same time, this could pave the way to drop the original PS4 price even further, offering cheaper access to a really solid console. In any case, I'm hopeful that Sony can make this work. Expect more details to emerge over the coming weeks
ImageImageImage

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:45 am

^So, a twice more powerful PS4 then. Not bad but far from being the "4K monster" some here hoped for. :wink:

Thinking that a 400 Euro game box could match a 2000 Euro top gaming PC is quite naive.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:25 pm

Given that people have gone all the way to 3D-printing fake Nintendo NX controllers, I'd be rather sceptical of "leaked" information from anonymous internet sources.

Also, even if this document came from someone within Sony that's not to say that it'd ever get to market or even that it wasn't just one of many proposals for what they might do with an upgraded PS4. That they'd have some prototypes of future machines knocking about should go without saying though, and that spec does sound about right for what AMD could offer them for the money in the next year or so.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:48 pm

If this NEO is real, can somebody please explain it to me? All I'm taking from that article is 'It'll be an upgraded PS4, but game on both systems will be the same'. Aside from a slightly better framerate, what's the point?

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:57 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:^So, a twice more powerful PS4 then. Not bad but far from being the "4K monster" some here hoped for. :wink:

Thinking that a 400 Euro game box could match a 2000 Euro top gaming PC is quite naive.

:roll:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:47 am

Eurogamers Digital Foundry are confirming all this as genuine.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... o-revealed

I'd quite happily trade up for a PS4 with better specs.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:52 am

alistair_thomas wrote:If this NEO is real, can somebody please explain it to me? All I'm taking from that article is 'It'll be an upgraded PS4, but game on both systems will be the same'. Aside from a slightly better framerate, what's the point?
It does appear to be real now, but everyone's still scratching their heads over what the point is.

While twice the graphical processing power might sound like a decent hike, it's nothing like the five to tenfold increase that you usually get with a new generation of consoles, and - as others have said - still doesn't really get it into the 4K/60fps bracket, where you'd be looking for at least twice again. For comparison, the PS4 already enjoys a 50% advantage over the XB1 in GPU power, but it doesn't translate to much that's visible from ten feet away. I guess you'd be all but guaranteed a steady 60fps at 1080p native rendering, but that's about the length of it.

It might be that the extra processing power it to make it VR ready, as the base model PS4 is going to need some sort of external box, and they might be throwing in a 4K Blu-ray player and HDMI 2.0 support, but that's all still speculation as there's nothing in this leak about them.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:19 am

Megamixer wrote: I believe it was me who bought your Move starter pack a long time ago when you were getting rid and I have to say, it has just been a House of the Dead Overkill Extended Cut controller. Still need to download House of the Dead 4 and possibly pick up Time Crisis: Razing Storm but otherwise, I haven't found anything else that stands out as being an essential Move experience.
You should definitely try Child of Eden with it. It plays far better with it than the joypad.