PlayStation 4.5?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

Re: PlayStation 4.5?

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:39 am

gman72 wrote:Spot on, The Beans.

I can remember some really snobby posts by PC enthusiasts on here in one of the xbox one threads (possibly my one) when someone mentioned Backwards Compatibility on xbox one. Along the lines no way - can't be done - machines not powerful enough - can't see it happening - no way the games will run properly etc etc etc. Just the PC elite thinking they know everything - even more than the developers themselves - and now look, we have a range of 360 titles running on Xbox one.

It was the same when I mentioned how much I'd love to see Elite Dangerous appear on xbox one - no way, won't happen, it would be overly simplified for console audiences - wouldn't be able to play it on the controller - etc etc etc. Just more of the PC master race thinking they know more than actual programmers and developers.

I see outdated_gamers comments on 4K gaming on consoles as more of the same PC eliteists second guessing industry experts and generally lording it over everyone and everything when it comes to tech news. I'm never ever going to take any stock in anything he has to say about console gaming because it's always dipped in PC master race ooze and I think that is something I need to push back against - in the interest of balance naturally.

I remember both those threads. Some ( not all ) PC owners were made to look a little silly in the end.

I don't have a problem with PC gaming, just some of the specification obsessed fanboys.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:54 am

Yes Rodimus, not all PC owners are like this, a few on here are.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:52 am

It wasn't just a few PC snobs saying that the XB1 wasn't powerful enough to emulate the CPU and GPU of the 360 in real time though. It was more like every tech expert on the internet, and they're still correct about that as it's not how the backwards compatibilty works.

Still, full credit to Microsoft for taking a different approach. If everyone had known from the off that they'd be offering VM-wrapped binaries for download rather than having to do everything on the fly from the game disks there would have been a lot less naysayers.

I totally agree about Elite Dangerous though. That was always going to get ported to consoles at some point.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:55 am

gman72 wrote: It was the same when I mentioned how much I'd love to see Elite Dangerous appear on xbox one - no way, won't happen, it would be overly simplified for console audiences - wouldn't be able to play it on the controller - etc etc etc. Just more of the PC master race thinking they know more than actual programmers and developers.
I never said that it could not work on a console, I simply expressed scepticism that it would not be tonned down or that there is a particularly big audience for it on the consoles. More complex kind of games usually stay on the PC or if they do make way over to the consoles they usually get tonned down to fit the control scheme and different audience. If they were able to keep it in it's original form and there's a sizable enough audience for it, then that's all fine by me as more people get to experience the game and the developer gets a larger audience, giving them the means to keep improving their product and making future projects.

Ontopic: What Matt_B and antmeister said is spot on. It's probably going to be a refreshed PS4 with a bit improved hardware that will push for 4K video playback and 2K upscaled gaming. Should be interesting to see how it will stack up to the NX and, assuming, the updated XBO this holiday season if the rumours hold any weight.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:24 am

Matt_B wrote:It wasn't just a few PC snobs saying that the XB1 wasn't powerful enough to emulate the CPU and GPU of the 360 in real time though. It was more like every tech expert on the internet, and they're still correct about that as it's not how the backwards compatibilty works.
I couldn't give a rats ass how it works, it all boils down to the same thing, You guys trying to second guess the experts without actually having a clue what MS was up to. They made fools of all of you. Fact is I put my Tekken Tag 2, Dark Void or Halo Reach disc in my one Xbox one and it plays the 360 game. End of. This 4K business is the same. PC guys saying it can't be done, it won't work yet, it's too expensive to work, people won't buy it... whatever. You can't second guess the experts or what they are doing no matter how clever you might think you are.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:12 am

gman72 wrote:
Matt_B wrote:It wasn't just a few PC snobs saying that the XB1 wasn't powerful enough to emulate the CPU and GPU of the 360 in real time though. It was more like every tech expert on the internet, and they're still correct about that as it's not how the backwards compatibilty works.
I couldn't give a rats ass how it works, it all boils down to the same thing, You guys trying to second guess the experts without actually having a clue what MS was up to. They made fools of all of you. Fact is I put my Tekken Tag 2, Dark Void or Halo Reach disc in my one Xbox one and it plays the 360 game. End of. This 4K business is the same. PC guys saying it can't be done, it won't work yet, it's too expensive to work, people won't buy it... whatever. You can't second guess the experts or what they are doing no matter how clever you might think you are.
Sony have already burnt themselves with the "five hundred and ninety nine dollar" PS3 and expensive and complex IBM Cell Broadband Engine architecture so how exactly would a "PS4K" with a 500 dollar graphics chip work? :wink:

We're only having reasonable expectations/predictions here. Upgradable consoles are a unproven market and it could be a win or lose situation for Sony or whoever attempts it. We have seen how past experiments went, infact they were one of the reasons why Sega isn't in the hardware market anymore. It's telling that a lot of negative feedback for these new upgraded consoles is comming from Sony fans themselves.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:36 am

outdated_gamer wrote:We're only having reasonable expectations/predictions here.
I laughed out loud. I admit it. :D
I often think your wild, and quite often hilariously paranoid, "speculations and predictions" must be parody but apparently they're not. :shock:

Awesome. :lol:

I think when it comes to anything related to future gaming all of us on this forum have proved over and over that we haven't got the slightest clue about anything. Speculation makes for great fun at times but really, with our track record I don't think any of us should be using phrases like "reasonable predictions" around here. Collectively, we make Michael Pachter look credible and he has trouble predicting his own name!
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:53 am

Sigh.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:27 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Sony have already burnt themselves with the "five hundred and ninety nine dollar" PS3 and expensive and complex IBM Cell Broadband Engine architecture so how exactly would a "PS4K" with a 500 dollar graphics chip work? :wink:

We're only having reasonable expectations/predictions here. Upgradable consoles are a unproven market and it could be a win or lose situation for Sony or whoever attempts it. We have seen how past experiments went, infact they were one of the reasons why Sega isn't in the hardware market anymore. It's telling that a lot of negative feedback for these new upgraded consoles is comming from Sony fans themselves.
SONY have not burnt themselves with anything. They happen to have the best selling console in the market at the moment.
Your clairvoyance is an impressive thing indeed, you already know the price point for whatever it is they may be developing. You do nothing but prove the points I've made about you in the last few posts. Which (to bring it all back to my original post) is why I wish you'd be quiet.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:00 pm

gman72 wrote:
If you don't give a crap about how it's done, bully for you; just leave the discussion of the technical details of what is and isn't possible to people who are interested.

By the same token, if all you're interested in is plugging your PS4 into a 4K TV and playing the games without any obvious deficiencies like a drop in frame rate, as would happen with current models, I remain fully confident that Sony will deliver the goods for you sooner rather than later, so you can spare yourself the trouble of calling anyone a fool when that happens. There's even a possibility that they might be able to get 4K/60fps output in software as the pinouts for HDMI 2.0 and 1.4 are the same; whether the existing connectors and cables will be up to the new electrical tolerances is another matter though, so new hardware might be required.

So there you have it; I've said it could work. It just won't in the sense that it'd offer native 4K rendering with games, as practically every tech expert on the internet has said it wouldn't; at least not for a few years yet until the price of the hardware required has come down a lot. But then again, you don't give a rats arse about that stuff, do you? :wink:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:55 pm

when it's ready it will be ready and I'm sure it will look amazing no matter how SONY or MS make it happen.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:11 pm

Well, we'll know soon enough. Wall Street Journal is reporting an announcement coming before Sony's VR launch because the main aim of this thing is to provide extra grunt for that etc.
Whatever. I'm not expecting to be awestruck or otherwise after the fact. 4K, VR, Oculus, none of it's troubling my radar.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:16 pm

^Indeed, my issue with Sony is their troubling habit of dropping great tech then dropping support for it. Move was the best motion controller by far, zero software. The Vita an incredible handheld, barely any support. I wouldn't be touching VR without a large amount of guaranteed support.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:21 pm

VR has no interest to me what so ever but 4K gaming certainly does. I saw a video online recently of the new Star Wars game running a 4K mod and it looked outrageous, when visuals like that become the norm for home console gaming then I will be a happy bunny indeed.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:58 pm

Rayne wrote:^Indeed, my issue with Sony is their troubling habit of dropping great tech then dropping support for it. Move was the best motion controller by far, zero software. The Vita an incredible handheld, barely any support. I wouldn't be touching VR without a large amount of guaranteed support.
Move support was never dropped entirely and, while few PS4 games use it, I've a feeling that it could make a bit of a comeback in combination with VR; certainly, it makes a lot of sense for that kind of experience in terms of both immersion and ease of use over a controller that you can't see. I think Sony just thought it wise to give it a back seat for the early days of the PS4 and, given the Microsoft experience with Kinect on the XB1, that was probably the right thing to do.

As for other great pieces of tech that they didn't give half the support that was deserved, you could add the PSP Go and the Xperia Play. With hindsight, the latter could have had a really good run if they'd kept it updated with new hardware every year and all the games that the Vita got instead.