PlayStation 4.5?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroMartin

Re: PlayStation 4.5?

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:58 am

I have had a 4k tv for a while and would love to take full advantage but id prefer not to buy a new machine for it.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:22 am

gman72 wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:If true, how the heck will it work? You need a 600+ Euro graphics card for 4K gaming on the PC and still you can forget about maxing out games at a rock solid 60 fps. Considering the PS4 struggles to hit a steady 1080p/60fps in it's more graphically intense games, I fail to see how this will be a thing. Sounds like more what the PS5 could be like and that's still a few years away.
please be quiet
He raises a fair point, so why the need to quieten down?

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:05 am

Got to agree with what's been said, it'd be near enough impossible to provide 4K gaming at console level pricing. Maybe we'll see an incremental upgrade, faster UI/loading times, etc?

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:36 pm

Just not going to happen, do think we will see a next next gen within a couple of years though. Thing is, you can spend £500 on a super duper PC graphics card but apart from higher frame rate most games won't utilise it for several years IMO.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:42 pm

"Upgradable consoles"

This kills the market

Seriously DID THEY NOT LEARN FROM THE 32X, MEGA CD AND JAGUAR CD!!?

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:38 pm

retrojc wrote:
gman72 wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:If true, how the heck will it work? You need a 600+ Euro graphics card for 4K gaming on the PC and still you can forget about maxing out games at a rock solid 60 fps. Considering the PS4 struggles to hit a steady 1080p/60fps in it's more graphically intense games, I fail to see how this will be a thing. Sounds like more what the PS5 could be like and that's still a few years away.
please be quiet
He raises a fair point, so why the need to quieten down?
Because when one of the PC master race clones says that despite what SONY are apparently developing he can't see that 4K gaming on consoles will be a thing I would prefer him to be quiet. Period.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:29 pm

gman72 wrote:Because when one of the PC master race clones says that despite what SONY are apparently developing he can't see that 4K gaming on consoles will be a thing I would prefer him to be quiet. Period.
This isn't your forum, so perhaps you should be a little more tolerant of other people's opinions.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:13 pm

Looks like scepticism is not allowed over here... :wink:

If these new "upgraded" consoles turn real I will be interested to see if console players will make the switch. Although I doubt such "fragmentation" of the console market is actually good for the end-user. There's always the PC platform for those who want actual upgradability... :wink:

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:21 pm

This will end up like the Spectrum 128 - hardly anyone will use the extra capabilities because the vast majority of owners have the 'lesser' hardware so you're massively restricting your potential market.

Since 1080p became standard, the costs of making a triple-A game have skyrocketed to the point that they have to sell millions of copies to turn a profit, a situation that's already unsuatainable. The move to 4k will force production costs up again while restricting he number of potential purchases because there's a 2-stream console market. Genius, Sony, genius.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:49 pm

outdated_gamer wrote: There's always the PC platform for those who want actual upgradability... :wink:
no
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:08 pm

Matt_B wrote:
gman72 wrote:Because when one of the PC master race clones says that despite what SONY are apparently developing he can't see that 4K gaming on consoles will be a thing I would prefer him to be quiet. Period.
This isn't your forum, so perhaps you should be a little more tolerant of other people's opinions.
:lol: yes Matt, I'm aware of this. I tolerate outdated_gamer and his opinion but I totally disagree with him and almost always do unless he's talking about old PC games in which case I find him very interesting and knowledgeable.

Obviously SONY and MS are looking into 4K, like literally obviously, 4K TVs are imminent - yes they are - and 4K gaming along with it so why wouldnt they be looking into it, who knows if it will be an upgrade for current consoles or a feature of next gen gaming? No-one - least of all outdated_gamer. ok?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:02 pm

gman72 wrote:
Matt_B wrote:
:lol: yes Matt, I'm aware of this. I tolerate outdated_gamer and his opinion but I totally disagree with him and almost always do unless he's talking about old PC games in which case I find him very interesting and knowledgeable.

Obviously SONY and MS are looking into 4K, like literally obviously, 4K TVs are imminent - yes they are - and 4K gaming along with it so why wouldnt they be looking into it, who knows if it will be an upgrade for current consoles or a feature of next gen gaming? No-one - least of all outdated_gamer. ok?
Not really. He's just pointing out that the hardware for rendering games natively at 4K, at least with current expectations of graphical detail, is currently very expensive and unlikely to be seen in consoles for a few years. When the current consoles are based around off-the-shelf GPUs from AMD, it's pretty unlikely that either Sony or Microsoft would have access to radical new technologies that would allow them to change that, so it's not like you'd need any particular insight on what's going on inside either company to say that. It all seems utterly uncontroversial to me.

That's not to say that Sony won't release an updated PS4 with 4K/60fps output soon. It just wouldn't be able to render many games at 4K, and the main benefit would be for those using it to stream video services like Netflix and possibly better VR support.

You can read some more speculation about it here that's along those lines:

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps4-5-news-ru ... ease-date/

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:49 am

How many 360 or PS3 games ran at 1080p? Then again, if it isn't native 4K, what would be the point?

It's probably going to add 4K blu ray support and maybe some fancy upscaling.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:42 am

Matt_B wrote:[Not really. He's just pointing out that the hardware for rendering games natively at 4K, at least with current expectations of graphical detail, is currently very expensive and unlikely to be seen in consoles for a few years. When the current consoles are based around off-the-shelf GPUs from AMD, it's pretty unlikely that either Sony or Microsoft would have access to radical new technologies that would allow them to change that, so it's not like you'd need any particular insight on what's going on inside either company to say that. It all seems utterly uncontroversial to me.
Anything Outdated Gamer says is wrapped in PC gaming snobbery. His disdain for "kiddie console gamers" is well documented on here and no amount of winking emoticons can hide that fact. That's where the mild controversy comes from. Gman's just seeing his observations as more of the same thing we've had so many times before, that's all.

Although it's probably unlikely there's any radical new technologies involved in all this wild speculation I wouldn't rule out something that might surprise in its approach. Nobody really knows what Sony or Microsoft are actually working on except them. Microsoft dropped 360 backwards compatibility on the Xbox One on us out of the blue after the tech sites said it probably couldn't be done.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:24 am

Spot on, The Beans.

I can remember some really snobby posts by PC enthusiasts on here in one of the xbox one threads (possibly my one) when someone mentioned Backwards Compatibility on xbox one. Along the lines no way - can't be done - machines not powerful enough - can't see it happening - no way the games will run properly etc etc etc. Just the PC elite thinking they know everything - even more than the developers themselves - and now look, we have a range of 360 titles running on Xbox one.

It was the same when I mentioned how much I'd love to see Elite Dangerous appear on xbox one - no way, won't happen, it would be overly simplified for console audiences - wouldn't be able to play it on the controller - etc etc etc. Just more of the PC master race thinking they know more than actual programmers and developers.

I see outdated_gamers comments on 4K gaming on consoles as more of the same PC eliteists second guessing industry experts and generally lording it over everyone and everything when it comes to tech news. I'm never ever going to take any stock in anything he has to say about console gaming because it's always dipped in PC master race ooze and I think that is something I need to push back against - in the interest of balance naturally.