PlayStation 4.5?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Re: PlayStation 4.5?

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:42 am

Matt_B wrote: It might be that the extra processing power it to make it VR ready, as the base model PS4 is going to need some sort of external box, and they might be throwing in a 4K Blu-ray player and HDMI 2.0 support, but that's all still speculation as there's nothing in this leak about them.
I also think they're doing this move mainly because of VR support since the base PS4 just wouldn't cut it for more complex games and to a certain extent also for 4K video playback and to counter whatever Nintendo is preparing. I mean just looking at the code names (Morpheus, Neo, etc) really makes sense out of it.

Anyway, the bigger question is how console players will respond. History showed that console players tend to be very conservative when it comes to hardware upgrades. The Sega CD was the most successful such attachment but it still didn't meet Sega's expectations (less so the 32X which tanked fast). Of course we could point out that people are willing to buy new phones every few years, but when it comes to game consoles people tend to expect years of support and games that work flawless without any need for configurations, upgrades, settings, etc. These are essentially things that seperate console and PC gaming. We will see if the market has changed but I'm still sceptical that the majority of existing PS4 users will do the switch or that it would attract many new users to the platform.

User avatar
William S
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:44 pm
Location: Norway

Re: PlayStation 4.5?

Post by William S » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:12 pm

Hmm... Interesting.
Sony reportedly unsure if there will ever be a PlayStation 5:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-r ... 0-6439011/
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5250
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: PlayStation 4.5?

Post by Matt_B » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:22 am

William S wrote:Hmm... Interesting.
Sony reportedly unsure if there will ever be a PlayStation 5:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-r ... 0-6439011/
There probably won't be if you're thinking in terms of a machine with a radically different architecture. Now that pretty much everyone is on slightly tweaked PC hardware, and it's the only game in town, it's just a question of how frequently it's worth offering an improved model.

So, assuming Neo goes to plan, another three years down the line you can expect a further improved PS4, and so on. There'll eventually come a point where the base model is so far behind the top spec that it's no longer worth supporting, and the no Neo-only game rule will fall by the wayside. However, I'd expect you'd still get between six years and a decade of new games out of it much like with previous generations of console.

That said, console names are ultimately a marketing decision and maybe they've just had enough of numbers? :)

User avatar
crusto
Posts: 5586
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: PlayStation 4.5?

Post by crusto » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:24 am

I want it
Image

Eat your nans pants

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6346
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: PlayStation 4.5?

Post by merman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:18 pm

From reading the new gamesTM, seems the 4.5 is closely linked to the need for more power/processing when using PSVR.

And according to one forum I read yesterday, developers are having to cater for PS4 and PS4.5 already in code.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Re: PlayStation 4.5?

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:40 am

Here's the possible graphics card/graphics chip that could end up in "Neo" and also "Scorpion":

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3077432/ ... asses.html

Pretty good value for money, it should be able to max out games in 1080p/60fps with ease and also allow for some medium-settings 4K gaming.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24355
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: PlayStation 4.5?

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:56 am

No news on a price yet?

Close to getting a PS4 but dont want to get one as this might be the same as current price and the normal PS4 drops in price

User avatar
Joey
Posts: 3842
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 2:45 pm
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: PlayStation 4.5?

Post by Joey » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:47 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:Here's the possible graphics card/graphics chip that could end up in "Neo" and also "Scorpion":

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3077432/ ... asses.html

Pretty good value for money, it should be able to max out games in 1080p/60fps with ease and also allow for some medium-settings 4K gaming.
Slightly off topic but i'm in the market for a new gfx card for my PC. I'm sure $200 translates to £200 in rip off Britain but that's still a great price for the claimed performance!
Image

User avatar
Rayne
Posts: 6610
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Scotland!

Re: PlayStation 4.5?

Post by Rayne » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:35 pm

DPrinny wrote:No news on a price yet?

Close to getting a PS4 but dont want to get one as this might be the same as current price and the normal PS4 drops in price
You can now pick up a 250 GB PS4 with controller and a game for about 180 if you get a deal. Even with the new models coming out, I can't imagine the regular units falling much further in price.
Image

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5250
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: PlayStation 4.5?

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:06 pm

Joey wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:Here's the possible graphics card/graphics chip that could end up in "Neo" and also "Scorpion":

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3077432/ ... asses.html

Pretty good value for money, it should be able to max out games in 1080p/60fps with ease and also allow for some medium-settings 4K gaming.
Slightly off topic but i'm in the market for a new gfx card for my PC. I'm sure $200 translates to £200 in rip off Britain but that's still a great price for the claimed performance!
You ought to be able to find similar prices (at least once you factor in VAT which UK includes versus sales tax that US ones don't) if you shop around online. Once there are a few stockists, going to uk.pcpartpicker.com will usually find you a good price. Mind you, should this meet the hype the demand would be high and you might have to wait a few months.

That said, I'd be inclined to hold fire until we see some real world benchmarks with this. While AMD cards can perform very well with some games they generally tend to lag well behind the equivalent Nvidia ones with the majority and I wouldn't be surprised if it works out more like a GTX970 in practice than the 980 that the spec would suggest. That'd still make it a very good card for the money - as current prices for the 970 are around $300 - but somewhat more marginal when it comes to VR and 4K.

Anyway, if they can do the PC graphics card for under $200 I'm pretty sure they can do the PS4.5 for under $400, which is where a lot of the rumours have put it.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24355
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: PlayStation 4.5?

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:34 am

Rayne wrote:
DPrinny wrote:No news on a price yet?

Close to getting a PS4 but dont want to get one as this might be the same as current price and the normal PS4 drops in price
You can now pick up a 250 GB PS4 with controller and a game for about 180 if you get a deal. Even with the new models coming out, I can't imagine the regular units falling much further in price.
Cheapest ive seen is about £150 on Cash con.
I dont have and dont want a 4K TV

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests