In the Hunt (ARC/PS1/SAT)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

In the Hunt (ARC/PS1/SAT)

Post by Megamixer » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:48 pm

Been playing this a fair bit recently and I'm enjoying it but it's hard as nails. The best I've done (on the 'easy' setting) is just scraping past the fourth stage but the onslaught of gun turrets, enemy subs and volcanic eruptions in the fifth area is utterly insane!

For those that don't know, this is a 2D scrolling shooter developed by the same team that would later work at Nazca and produce Metal Slug so the visual art style is pretty much the same and intricately detailed with massive explosions happening everywhere. Your submarine can fire torpedoes and also vertical rockets but if you want to destroy enemy helicopters, planes etc. then you actually have to surface to shoot them. Fire the vertical rockets underwater and they explode when they hit the surface so there's quite a lot of switching between depths and choosing whether to prioritise underwater foes or those above water.

Oh and the level order is different depending on whether you are playing the Japanese release or the international version. I'm playing the PAL PS1 version.

Anybody else like this game?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:31 pm

As you may be aware the PS1 version is the ideal version. It runs with the least amount of slowdown, even less than arcade, and the game is better off for it.

As pointed out the stage order is fixed on PS1 although I guess I didn't remember it changed depending on Japanese or US release.

The initial Japanese Saturn version doesn't work period if you have less than 1.01 system bios. There are also issues when playing either release on a different regionned system via Action Replay, &c.

Cool, challenging game all the same.
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

davyK

Re: In the Hunt (ARC/PS1/SAT)

Post by davyK » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:26 pm

That explains why I always wondered why people complained about slowdown in this game. The only version I've played is on PS1. Great game. Looks like metal slug in a sub.

On Saturn I believe there is also a bug that prevents the game from loading that has something to do with a controller being plugged into port 2 - can't remember the details.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:45 pm

I have the Saturn version - if yours doesn't work, you'll need to boot the Saturn system to the 'desktop' (the spacey background where you can change system settings etc) then put the game in and load it from there. if you stick the disc in the system and then turn the Saturn on the game won't work.

as for the game itself its good looking but I've never really enjoyed it. as a shooter I find its a bit slow and fiddly for my tastes.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:41 pm

'Tis a good, entertaining shmup. Mid-way thro Level 4 is my best achievement to-date, 500,000+ points. Only 6 levels in all, the last taking an age (presumably to make up for the quite short, vertical, against-the-rising-monster Level 5). Granted, overall a bit slow; but that is not always a bad thing. Me likey. :D

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:26 am

Played 'In the Hunt' in the Arcade a few times but died quickly as I couldn't get used to switching between the depths and choosing whether to prioritise underwater foes or those above water... As you said the airborne craft could only be destroyed from above the Waves, never realised it was by the Nazca Corporation I know Nazca did Gunforce 1 and 2, and Gunforce 2 especially was very similar to Metal Slug, the Male prisoners where replaced with females on Gun Force..

I also never knew the PS1 version is the best I alway assumed the Saturn version would be, which I had picked up the PS1 version up, as it appeared in the wild a few times
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:08 pm

Was there a pal release on ps1?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:43 pm

Sputryk wrote:'Tis a good, entertaining shmup. Mid-way thro Level 4 is my best achievement to-date, 500,000+ points. Only 6 levels in all, the last taking an age (presumably to make up for the quite short, vertical, against-the-rising-monster Level 5). Granted, overall a bit slow; but that is not always a bad thing. Me likey. :D
You must have played the Japanese version then...the vertical level is actually the third stage in the international edition which may explain why the difficulty is a bit all over the place!
Shinobi wrote:never realised it was by the Nazca Corporation I know Nazca did Gunforce 1 and 2, and Gunforce 2 especially was very similar to Metal Slug, the Male prisoners where replaced with females on Gun Force..
Well it was developed by Xing/Irem but the staffers behind it were subsequently involved in Nazca hence the similar art style to Metal Slug. The game is actually from 1993 (Japanese arcade original that is). It's the same as how Irem's Undercover Cops looks a lot like Metal Slug visuals-wise.
AceGrace wrote:Was there a pal release on ps1?
Yes. I bought mine from Antiriad on here actually a while back. Picture below nicked off Google so not mine.

Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:36 am

Interesting. There doesn't seem to be many copies around, at least none on ebay.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:03 pm

AceGrace wrote:Interesting. There doesn't seem to be many copies around, at least none on ebay.
Can't have sold very well, being a port of a 2D arcade shooter from several years previous on a console all about 3D. Just like Rapid Reload I suppose.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:54 am

I have a big boxed US Saturn version for sale if anyone is interested :)

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:59 am

I always found the screen too crowded to move around, never mind shoot things. The level with freeze-rays shooting diagonally out of icebergs was particularly cramped and annoying.

It reminds me of an older game from Spanish developer Tecfri, called Sauro. You control a submarine with forward and diagonally upward shots, and there are underwater, surface and aircraft bands of the screen. It scrolls quite quickly but you don't move around very fast, and there can be loads of tiny pixel-sized torpedoes and depth-charges in the water. A particular hazard is ships you've just shot coming down on top of you. Very bright and lurid colour but hard too.

Inevitably, here's someone completing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wssI5qWuqL4