Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Will you buy a Spectrum Vega Plus

Yes
17
21%
No
55
67%
Can't Decide
10
12%
 
Total votes: 82

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26809
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:40 am

Lorfarius wrote:Image
I had one of those, it was ace. Pretty good keyboards for their size.

Naturally, I had a Spectrum emulator on it :D
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6759
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:00 pm

English Invader wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Presume it'll be mostly the same but with some current homebrew games

Sure they want loads more but it must be a nightmare trying to contact IP holders or in some cases Microsoft own the ultimate ones and Elite might own exclusive rights perhaps to some games. Must be tricky
Personally, I don't care what games they include because you can add your own games via micro-SD.
But that's denying developers potential royalties.
Image

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:33 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:A plug in keyboard on a portable system seems like a major design flaw to me...
If it's optional, where's the harm? You either use it or you don't.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:39 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
English Invader wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Presume it'll be mostly the same but with some current homebrew games

Sure they want loads more but it must be a nightmare trying to contact IP holders or in some cases Microsoft own the ultimate ones and Elite might own exclusive rights perhaps to some games. Must be tricky
Personally, I don't care what games they include because you can add your own games via micro-SD.
But that's denying developers potential royalties.

All downloadable games on WOS are legal (or as legal as it's possible to get). It would be great if developers could be rewarded by their games coming bundled with the machine (so they would recieve something). But even if you did want to play a 'denied' game, you couldn't pay anyone if you wanted to if the company weren't making their games available for sale.

Personally I can't see any benefit in those companies denying people the right to play their games. Then again , there is a big difference between not officially allowing people to legally download their games and actively pursuing them for doing so.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5398
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by Matt_B » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:52 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
psj3809 wrote:I'm glad it doesnt have an extra screen or a keyboard which comes out.
Why? Just seems like you're blowing a raspberry at the idea just to support the devs because they haven't addressed it this time round.

It was a major complaint for the original Vega, and it would enable a much wider library of games to be easily playable. There's an awful lot of Spectrum games that use multiple keys to play, some of those very good. You might not want to play Elite on a Vega, but others might. Its such a simple thing to add, and since this is a portable computer, not a portable console, keyboard would be very useful.

You might be ok with the Vega Plus, but to be 'glad' it doesn't have a keyboard is like cutting your nose off to spite your face. I'll be glad when you find there are games you want to play that are made awkward because of the failing :P
Elite can be played on the Vega. You'd have to copy the tape image and create your own key mapping file, but with up to 22 keys mapped over two control sets per game it's quite capable of handling the more complex simulation and strategy games. You'd have to use the virtual keyboard for typing things in when docked, but that's about the length of it.

On the whole, I prefer playing Spectrum games via a keyboard on anything that's got a good enough one, but the Vega is more than adequate for the vast majority of games. Unless you've got a particular penchant for text adventures, an external keyboard is probably something you'd only want to use occasionally with it.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by The Laird » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:10 am

Nice to see an early prototype of the ZX Spectrum Vega+ in action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkK_xin0wLo

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6461
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by merman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:18 am

Matt_B wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
psj3809 wrote:I'm glad it doesnt have an extra screen or a keyboard which comes out.
Why? Just seems like you're blowing a raspberry at the idea just to support the devs because they haven't addressed it this time round.

It was a major complaint for the original Vega, and it would enable a much wider library of games to be easily playable. There's an awful lot of Spectrum games that use multiple keys to play, some of those very good. You might not want to play Elite on a Vega, but others might. Its such a simple thing to add, and since this is a portable computer, not a portable console, keyboard would be very useful.

You might be ok with the Vega Plus, but to be 'glad' it doesn't have a keyboard is like cutting your nose off to spite your face. I'll be glad when you find there are games you want to play that are made awkward because of the failing :P
Elite can be played on the Vega. You'd have to copy the tape image and create your own key mapping file, but with up to 22 keys mapped over two control sets per game it's quite capable of handling the more complex simulation and strategy games. You'd have to use the virtual keyboard for typing things in when docked, but that's about the length of it.

On the whole, I prefer playing Spectrum games via a keyboard on anything that's got a good enough one, but the Vega is more than adequate for the vast majority of games. Unless you've got a particular penchant for text adventures, an external keyboard is probably something you'd only want to use occasionally with it.
And yet, hundreds of the games bundled with the original Vega WERE text adventures, and that's unlikely to change for the Vega Plus.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

kiwimike
Posts: 3693
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by kiwimike » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:36 pm

Everytime a machine like this comes out, I think what could have been with the Gamegadget. A disaster in reality, but I just so loved what they were trying to do, with the iTunes style store for game purchase/download. Easy, and game creators get their deserved share.
I still dream the concept will be done in the future, properly :)

User avatar
shiftytigger
Posts: 2965
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:53 am
Location: East London

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:45 pm

The Laird wrote:Nice to see an early prototype of the ZX Spectrum Vega+ in action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkK_xin0wLo
Looks suspiciously like a PSP , hopefully we head towards the WiiU pad kind of look that the mock up has.

As for keyboards , maybe a flexible case style dock would be an idea , one that folds over and acts as a case , similar to those cheapish tablet ones. I'm not a fan of on-screen controls so this has my vote but not till they've come out.

I'd be more interested if we could have multi format emulators but obviously with the branding etc that won't happen.
Image

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5398
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by Matt_B » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:07 pm

merman wrote:And yet, hundreds of the games bundled with the original Vega WERE text adventures, and that's unlikely to change for the Vega Plus.
Yes, but being realistic, they're mostly filler. There aren't any of what you'd usually consider as the genre classics; no Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Level 9 or Melbourne House adventures were offered up. There's some good stuff from Delta 4 and Zenobi, I suppose, but they're both of rather cult appeal. I doubt too many people will be buying a Vega Plus on the strength of them, although for those who do it'll be nice to have external keyboard support.

For those attempting to play them with the virtual keyboard, it's worth remembering that most adventures support single letter shortcuts for the most common commands and rarely need you to type past the fourth letter in longer words.

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:00 am

shiftytigger wrote:
The Laird wrote:Nice to see an early prototype of the ZX Spectrum Vega+ in action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkK_xin0wLo
Looks suspiciously like a PSP , hopefully we head towards the WiiU pad kind of look that the mock up has.

As for keyboards , maybe a flexible case style dock would be an idea , one that folds over and acts as a case , similar to those cheapish tablet ones. I'm not a fan of on-screen controls so this has my vote but not till they've come out.

I'd be more interested if we could have multi format emulators but obviously with the branding etc that won't happen.

Or a PSP Go style, were the screen slides up to reveal a keyboard. For me a Spectrum without a keyboard ain't a Spectrum.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

psj3809
Posts: 18844
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by psj3809 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:30 pm

Wow. Now over 300k

User avatar
Hiro
Posts: 1650
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:07 pm
Location: Genova, Italy
Contact:

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by Hiro » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:53 pm

merman wrote:No - a flawed follow-up to a very flawed device
^ This.
Image

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26809
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:55 am

psj3809 wrote:Wow. Now over 300k
Just imagine how much that might be if they'd got it right ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5398
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by Matt_B » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:07 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Wow. Now over 300k
Just imagine how much that might be if they'd got it right ;)
The problem that'd be apparent to all the people who've taken part in the discussions on WOS about the Vega, and new Spectrum hardware in general over the years, is that there's no single idea of "right".

Adding a built-in keyboard might please some people, but not the ones complaining about the price, the lack of HDMI, or missing games where the rights couldn't be acquired. Then there's the people who want accurate bus timings and voltages so they can interface hardware, Bluetooth, WiFi, Miracast, WOS integration, emulation of other systems, etc. There'll always be something missing for someone.

They know they're not going to please everyone with this. The point is rather to please enough people to get it done, and they've managed that. They might add a few more features that are low hanging fruit, but unless someone comes forward to offer them a few million pounds to make a mass market version, I don't envisage any major changes. Still, even if that doesn't happen, who is to say that they won't come back in a year's time with another version?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests