Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Will you buy a Spectrum Vega Plus

Yes
21%
No
67%
Can't Decide
12%

Total votes: 82

Matt_B

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by Matt_B » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:43 am

There are a few more interesting tidbits to report:

Going by the serial numbers they appear to have manufactured around 200 units, about 80-odd of which are confirmed in the hands of backers. That's slightly more than I'd have initially thought, but well short of the 400 they claimed. With that many in circulation though, I'd think that if anyone wants one as a curio - because they're certainly not very usable for playing games - the eBay prices should become rather less silly after a while.

Suzanne Martin and Janko Mrsic-Flogel have resigned from RCL as directors. This doesn't appear to be down to any pressure from backers though, but as an attempt to escape liability for their substantial legal costs. From what Gareth Corfield wrote in The Register, I don't think it's doing them much good. They've managed to defer it for another month, but it'll just land them with a bigger bill.

RCL also appear to have deleted/hidden their social media accounts. Well, it's not like they did much other than lie or troll with them, anyway.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:39 am

Okay...I think it's safe to call time of death in this now, back in court and no updates at all for backers.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:08 am

Yeah to say i'm annoyed is putting it lightly. Again to me both sides are at fault totally, just a total battle between directors and ex directors and just a total mess. Again the campaign against the Vega in my view was totally over the top, reading about a rape case on that RCL page (which the anti-RCL people took over) was way over the top. Just a messy messy situation

I was stunned when RCL didnt throw in the towel ages ago, they seemed determined to get something out so i was quite stunned when right at the end after they did ship some it fell apart. It did seem the ones they did ship werent exactly great and needed a lot of tweaking. I'm 'glad' i only wasted £100 and it wasnt anymore.

I knew things were going really bad when finally Suzanne didnt answer any PM's as before she kept saying it would be released etc etc, second i got no responses i thought oh oh.

Crazy story from day 1, like i say a total mess and in my view both sides totally to blame. Lots of he said/she said. Taking them to court is fair enough, always thought the crazy troll twitter accounts, that youtube person and the crap posted online about the directors was totally wrong

But just a total mess. Not expecting to see any money back, if i do thats a bonus. I'll 100% be cautious of any kickstarter/indiegogo type things like this in the future. I'm just glad i backed out of the Elite keyboard one at the last minute.Crazy story !!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:50 am

I think the only reason for the 'determination' to get something out was more to cover their arses legally rather than to see joy on anyones little faces. The handful of censored they sent out was to cover themselves in order to look as if they were doing something, nothing coming out would be easier to get em with the fraud case.

May they get what is coming to them, legally speaking, one in particular. IMO, of course. The law is an ass though, so no doubt they will get away with it

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:55 am

kiwimike wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:50 am
I think the only reason for the 'determination' to get something out was more to cover their arses legally rather than to see joy on anyones little faces. The handful of censored they sent out was to cover themselves in order to look as if they were doing something, nothing coming out would be easier to get em with the fraud case.

May they get what is coming to them, legally speaking, one in particular. IMO, of course. The law is an ass though, so no doubt they will get away with it
Yeah, and if anyone is wondering why Smith and Andrews are still pursuing all this through the courts, I'd think that demonstrating precisely what Levy and Martin got up to, to the "both sides are to blame" camp, would have to be a significant part of it.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:33 pm

When you can buy a PI3 for a few quid, this looks stupidly expensive
And I know where I am with a PI and emulators.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Nin10dofan

Post by Nin10dofan » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:44 pm

I have a Sinclair zx spectrum vega . Where would I get a vega plus

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:46 am

You really don't want one. Trust me on that.

If you want to know why, try reading this topic from the very beginning.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:05 pm

I so feel for everyone involved in this mess, it was disgraceful. And I would never ever trust indiegogo for any crowdfunding if I was to back anything in the future (cautiously). I understand the battles have gone quiet but still continue. I wish them well to get the bastards. And I still believe RG should have a feature on this, mentioning the ongoing Atari VCS, and advising buyer beware

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:03 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:08 am
But just a total mess. Not expecting to see any money back, if i do thats a bonus. I'll 100% be cautious of any kickstarter/indiegogo type things like this in the future. I'm just glad i backed out of the Elite keyboard one at the last minute.Crazy story !!
You shouldn't tar Kickstarter with the same brush; every KS project I've backed has come to fruition to my complete satisfaction and it's a great avenue for projects that otherwise wouldn't be able to happen. Indiegogo is where people who can't get funding on KS go and inevitably the projects on there are less credible.

To be fair, I didn't back the Ouya or Elite Dangerous and my outlook might be a bit different if I had but I believe 99% of KS projects are the real deal (they wouldn't be there otherwise). It's just that the bad ones get a lot more attention on the forums and in the media.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:56 am

The only big difference between Kickstarter and Indiegogo is that the former requires a demonstrable prototype for hardware projects. In this case it wouldn't have made a difference, since there was a prototype for the Vega+ shown just before the campaign started.

So far as success rates go, by Kickstarters own numbers, 9% of projects on there fail to deliver rewards and that's a fairly consistent across all categories. Most of those failures will involve an honest effort to get it done - rather than just pocketing a lot of the money and blowing the rest on huge legal bills - but you should be aware that there's an element of risk with any crowdfunder, even for relatively mundane things like music and comics.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:42 am

Nin10dofan wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:44 pm
I have a Sinclair zx spectrum vega . Where would I get a vega plus
It's kinda irrelevant since you won't be able to get one but isn't it handheld vs TV console?

Makes it remarkable they screwed it up so badly really.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com