Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Will you buy a Spectrum Vega Plus

Yes
21%
No
67%
Can't Decide
12%

Total votes: 82

kiwimike

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by kiwimike » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:56 pm

All I will say- not knowing either 'side' personally nor having nothing invested in this aside from interest in the project, an interest in the unit if it had been okay, and an interest in future pledge type campaigns. You can look at both sides of the story, and while you can concede there have been issues on both sides, faults on both sides- only one side has been proven to be fraudulent liars, even a little unhinged, proven in court and proven in media responses, the most recent BBC and Sky immediately responding to them to debunk what they have said. We have seen constant untruths over the space on months by one 'side'- and when that particular 'side' has bagged the other- with NO evidence whatsoever- the 'other side' for want of a better term has responded with actual documents to prove the accusations incorrect.
And of course, the icing on this censored cake are these absolute joke quality items they have sent out in a small amount that apparently proves all the 'haters' wrong! And now- the real epilogue is that the items sent out do not even match the item photographed several weeks earlier by Suzanne Martin who allegedly went around to one of their 'production houses!' It looks different again! Is this one sent out a 'V3?!' :lol:

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Now that some of these units have emerged, perhaps it is time for that RG feature- and to invite both sides of the story in to tell their piece- with evidence to back it up, of course. Riveting story. regardless of where you sit on it. But to me it is screamingly obvious who are the most trustworthy, thats for sure. And actions speak louder than words. That product supposedly worth 100 pounds is just rubbish.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:10 am

Well still actually wanting mine. Watching lairds video the controls were dire and he could hardly move. Then watching this one ....

https://youtu.be/uWB6kCICdH4

When playing Jetpac he’s controlling it okay, not perfect but seems playable from the video above. Quite happy to see these neutral videos

On one Facebook group they’re saying the controls should be able to be fixed at some point. Obviously not a good start but handy if there’s a solution for it at some point

But people spreading rubbish that you can’t play games on the SD card is totally fake news (as the kids say)

Not great at all but still strangely fascinated about getting mine at some point (as many said it would never see the light of day).

What a saga eh !

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:25 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:10 am
Well still actually wanting mine. Watching lairds video the controls were dire and he could hardly move. Then watching this one ....

https://youtu.be/uWB6kCICdH4

When playing Jetpac he’s controlling it okay, not perfect but seems playable from the video above. Quite happy to see these neutral videos

On one Facebook group they’re saying the controls should be able to be fixed at some point. Obviously not a good start but handy if there’s a solution for it at some point

But people spreading rubbish that you can’t play games on the SD card is totally fake news (as the kids say)

Not great at all but still strangely fascinated about getting mine at some point (as many said it would never see the light of day).

What a saga eh !
Check the date on that video. That's one of the earlier prototypes from April 2017.

While the common consensus at the time was that they weren't great and needed a lot of refinement, it would seem that the ones they've sent out in the past week are considerably worse.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:44 pm

Fake news, dear God PJ, I think you might really need to lift your blinkers now, that video is ages old, if even says it was filmed at the Nottingham Dizzy event in April before last, I held one of those units at Spectrum 35 last October, it was ok, not brilliant, not worth 100 quid but would have been tolerable.

Did you not see it looks totally different to the units in the videos of those sent out?? No crappy label etc, also I believe the games were loaded onto the machine I held not the card.

I suggest before accusing people of misinformation and spreading fake news, you look more carefully at videos you were only too quick to seize upon!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:15 pm

At the end of the day it's a censored cheap console that isn't even officially Sinclair. 10 quid worth that people were ripped off 100 for. And a poor quality cheap handheld at that- And that is based on the assumption backers will actually receive it- which looks pretty unlikely.

May as well get a second hand DS Lite, run speccy emulator for a better experience and have a really nice meal out with the missus for the price difference
Last edited by kiwimike on Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:12 pm

The Laird wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:29 pm
A few people have found a work around, but this only seems to work on SOME units. So no, it's not "more misinformation" because there seems to be more people who can't get SD cards working than people who can. It didn't work at all on either of the models I tried.

Even then the awful buttons and joypad render the games unplayable anyway.
psj3809 wrote:
I already answered that as you can see. I should also mention that this work around is a great deal of hassle and requires switching around memory cards, renaming files and creating key mapping files. Hardly the plug and play that was promised.

I couldn't get this to work on the one I had, many other people haven't got working either.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:34 pm

kiwimike wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:15 pm
At the end of the day it's a censored cheap console that isn't even officially Sinclair. 10 quid worth that people were ripped off 100 for. And a poor quality cheap handheld at that.

May as well get a second hand DS Lite, run speccy emulator for a better experience and have a really nice meal out with the missus for the price difference
It is (or was) an official Sinclair product, at least as far as this batch got. Not any more, but that will just add to the rarity factor for the rabid collectors.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:13 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:34 pm
kiwimike wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:15 pm
At the end of the day it's a censored cheap console that isn't even officially Sinclair. 10 quid worth that people were ripped off 100 for. And a poor quality cheap handheld at that.

It is (or was) an official Sinclair product, at least as far as this batch got. Not any more, but that will just add to the rarity factor for the rabid collectors.
Yeah it was to be....I guess as you say some will be crazy enough to pay stupid amounts for that paper Sinclair underlay ....who knows if or when anything else will come out!

While I have empathy for backers not so much crazy people bidding astounding amounts on a censored item. But I'm not a collector so who knows? Maybe it will get valuable like a misprinted stamp or coin! I wouldn't put it past the dodgy RCL directors to be ebaying a few kicking around and cashing in themselves rather than sending what they have to backers
Last edited by kiwimike on Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:20 pm

The Laird wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:12 pm
The Laird wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:29 pm
A few people have found a work around, but this only seems to work on SOME units. So no, it's not "more misinformation" because there seems to be more people who can't get SD cards working than people who can. It didn't work at all on either of the models I tried.

Even then the awful buttons and joypad render the games unplayable anyway.
psj3809 wrote:
I already answered that as you can see. I should also mention that this work around is a great deal of hassle and requires switching around memory cards, renaming files and creating key mapping files. Hardly the plug and play that was promised.

I couldn't get this to work on the one I had, many other people haven't got working either.
There's evidence, albeit circumstantial, that the shipment included multiple batches of machines, possibly even from different manufacturers. That might explain why some were able to use the SD card but others weren't.

It's all academic of course, because the poor quality of the buttons would make them unplayable and hardly anyone got one anyway.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:35 pm

There's a new article from Gareth Corfield on The Register that might come in handy for anyone who still isn't sure who and what to believe:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/0 ... d_roundup/

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:31 am

Matt_B wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:35 pm
There's a new article from Gareth Corfield on The Register that might come in handy for anyone who still isn't sure who and what to believe:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/0 ... d_roundup/
A decent summary of it...and yes, there are reports online of receivers comparing them and finding them different, so clearly rushed together things, prototypes or otherwise.

*And now, it seems the fb page has been deleted and the twitter locked, it is looking like the expected slink away is beginning- and of course it will be everyone else's fault. Let's see if it returns. Let's see if the media don't give this up either...judging from the Register who has now reviewed the product then gone after Sinclair to ask why the Directors of RCL weren't removed the week earlier for this (and no reply from them) it looks like the Media won't let this one go thankfully

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:22 pm

So slightly tangential to the $h*tshow that is the Vega+, I see the original Vega is down to 49 quid in Argos...quite tempted, but probably still about 20 quid too much.

Anyone got one...thoughts?
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:42 am

the_hawk wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:22 pm
So slightly tangential to the $h*tshow that is the Vega+, I see the original Vega is down to 49 quid in Argos...quite tempted, but probably still about 20 quid too much.

Anyone got one...thoughts?
It's OK for what it is, but it's rather hampered by the lack of any means to connect a proper keyboard and that the only video output is composite. They seemed acceptable compromises at the time, to get the thing made on what was a relatively tight budget, but really ought to have been addressed before putting it onto the mass market.

On the plus side, it actually looks like a dinky Spectrum, the buttons work, there are no sharp edges, the emulation is accurate without slowdowns or crashes, and there are some good games on it too. Mind you, you've got to hunt through a fair amount of filler to find them, and with no royalties having been paid since Smith and Andrews left I'm not sure that that can be considered much of a plus point any more.

On the whole, I'd suggest saving your money towards as Spectrum Next, if and when they go back into production.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:06 pm

I have considered the original Vega several times, but it seems a bit expensive. The new price...hmm...I guess you have to define yourself whether it's worth it. At 49quid I probably wouldn't. Maybe 30 I'd consider it

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:27 am

Cheers Matt, that's pretty useful info there.

I'd love a Next but I really don't think I'd invest the time and love it deserves for such an outlay at this point... Optimistically thinking if at some point it is available on the mass market maybe by that time I can afford one I'll have a bit more free time.

For the Vega composite only is a bit of a nuisance, that's a load of loose leads for a "plug & play". The lack of keyboard is a bit of a deal breaker too. I think I'll keep my 50 quid & stick to the real thing/DivIDE combo for now.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue