Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Will you buy a Spectrum Vega Plus

Yes
21%
No
67%
Can't Decide
12%

Total votes: 82

The Laird

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by The Laird » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:29 am

Matt_B wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:39 am
The Laird wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:25 am
That isn't a prototype, I had previously played on one of those and it was far better than this horrendous monstrosity. I have also had a play with an additional unit now too, which was the same as this but with an even more flickery screen.
It's obviously not the same as the previous prototypes that have been doing the rounds, but at the same time it's almost certainly not being mass produced so to also describe it as a prototype seems appropriate.

For what it's worth, there was an even earlier prototype demonstrated by Chris Smith prior to the crowdfunding campaign, that you can see here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/89823678@ ... 247094916/
I have a video of that prototype on my You Tube channel, from when I was at Paul Andrews office ages back.

https://youtu.be/vkK_xin0wLo

HdE

Post by HdE » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:39 am

The Laird wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:25 am
That isn't a prototype, I had previously played on one of those and it was far better than this horrendous monstrosity. I have also had a play with an additional unit now too, which was the same as this but with an even more flickery screen.
Wow - really?! That's insane!

You have to wonder what exactly has gone on behind the scenes to deliver units to backers that are substantially worse than a pre-production model. (Although, by now I think we all have some ideas.)

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:13 am

Great video Kieren, just an awful piece of crap, I think any sent out and in backers hands is almost certainly all there will be.

Lots of questions being asked how to put more games on an SD card, well the answer is....you can't, the firmware has nothing for that, it is impossible.
Also in the comments below your video, some RCL stooges crawling out of the woodwork, such obvious lies, the SD card does not work and never will for one, unbelievable.

I still firmly believe no one in this sorry tale is entirely blameless though.

How did you get a refund Kieren? I have asked numerous times, never getting a single reply.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:20 am

Hmmm

If i cant put on games via an SD card then what is the point of ANY people getting units without games on it ?

I was quite happy putting my own games on it (As i'm sure many of my faves wouldnt be on the original 1000 game list) but IF you cant even put games on it yourself then yeah thats a total cop-out.

Letting people get units with a couple on knowing they cant put more on, totally wrong. Again need to wait for these 'instructions' to confirm this but IF this is true then that is terrible. I blame both sides from day 1 but this would be ridiculous if RCL messed this up. I'm hoping its just gossip and nothing else but lets see

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:06 pm

adippm82 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:13 am
Great video Kieren, just an awful piece of crap, I think any sent out and in backers hands is almost certainly all there will be.

Lots of questions being asked how to put more games on an SD card, well the answer is....you can't, the firmware has nothing for that, it is impossible.
Also in the comments below your video, some RCL stooges crawling out of the woodwork, such obvious lies, the SD card does not work and never will for one, unbelievable.

I still firmly believe no one in this sorry tale is entirely blameless though.

How did you get a refund Kieren? I have asked numerous times, never getting a single reply.
They force refunded me - probably because of my connection to Paul Andrews!

I can also confirm that the SD card function doesn't work, it doesn't even seem to read it at all.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:38 pm

:lol: :lol: Lucky you!

I have it on good authority that the firmware does not support an SD card, and that until recently if you put it in at an angle it fell inside the machine!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:51 pm

adippm82 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:38 pm
:lol: :lol: Lucky you!

I have it on good authority that the firmware does not support an SD card, and that until recently if you put it in at an angle it fell inside the machine!
I've stuck up them for a fair few times in the past, still think the 'others' havent helped one bit. But this is p!ss poor if this is all true, they shouldnt even be offering units without games (has about 8 on them by Cauldwell) if this SD card thing is true. As then it really is totally useless. At least if you get one with games on its still 'maybe' usuable.

Again i'm neutral in this, Both sides have been poor, both sides have been battling and anyone who thinks RCL are 100% innocent are as bad as people thinking the 'other side' are innocent in all of this. At the end of the day what could have been a decent little gadget isnt, and its us who have lost out.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:04 am

The Laird wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:25 pm
psj3809 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:17 pm
Interesting reading !

I can imagine it’ll stop being shipped soon. I still wouldn’t mind trying one as I don’t believe there’ll be any money for refunds or that.

There is that positive video but that’s from Jan who is very pro-RCL so I won’t quite believe that. Very sad to hear about the abuse he’s received for supporting it though, heard a few cases like that. Be interesting if there’s more reviews or videos soon
Pro-RCL? :lol:

He's an RCL employee. This was confirmed by David Levy himself in an official court document.
I think it's actually worth comparing Jans 'reviews' of both the Vega+, and the C64 Mini. One of them is an excellent piece of kit, with it's only real weakness being a joystick that could of/should have been a bit better quality. The other is an utter piece of garbage. Yet from his review you would swear it's the other way around! :lol: Put it this way: Which is more closer to being worth 100 pounds? :wink:

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:52 am

psj3809 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:51 pm
Again i'm neutral in this, Both sides have been poor, both sides have been battling and anyone who thinks RCL are 100% innocent are as bad as people thinking the 'other side' are innocent in all of this. At the end of the day what could have been a decent little gadget isnt, and its us who have lost out.
I'm not feeling terribly neutral. Regardless of whatever the "other side" might have done, there's only one group of people who had my money and failed to deliver the goods.

Or, to put it another way, do you think you might have had a Vega+ by now if it had been Levy and Martin who resigned from RCL two years ago, and left Smith and Andrews to finish the project by themselves?

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:12 am

Well this story keeps on giving, as reports of a second unit sent out crapping out and dying after being put on charge emerges. Not good

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:10 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:52 am
psj3809 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:51 pm
I'm not feeling terribly neutral. Regardless of whatever the "other side" might have done, there's only one group of people who had my money and failed to deliver the goods.

Or, to put it another way, do you think you might have had a Vega+ by now if it had been Levy and Martin who resigned from RCL two years ago, and left Smith and Andrews to finish the project by themselves?
I think we would have as I doubt Martin and Levy would run the same huge dirty tricks and smear campaign which they had against them. Look at all the trolling on twitter, endless YouTube crap and the rubbish dug up against them on that RCL website they took over. Just ugly. If it wasn’t for the court cases, battled and police I’m sure we would have had a better product.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:10 pm

That website has absolutely zero to do with Andrews or Smith I can assure you. In fact numerous people have taken responsibility for it, so that shouldn't even be in question.

You seem very keen to try and find things to blame them for when the reality is that Martin herself engineered the Twitter "hate mob" and controlled most of the fake accounts, this has already been revealed by Fogarty himself!

Would Levy and Martin have reacted had they been ousted? You bet they would! Their past conduct proves this beyond doubt. Martin has a criminal record and Levy has a history of destroying companies.

Say and believe what you like about Paul Andrews but I have to say that he's one of the most genuine and caring people I have ever met and has been truly great friend to me. He's also widely respected in the local community too where he does a great deal of work for charity. Meanwhile Levy and Martin have stolen thousands of pounds from charity. Says it all really.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:44 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:10 pm
I think we would have as I doubt Martin and Levy would run the same huge dirty tricks and smear campaign which they had against them. Look at all the trolling on twitter, endless YouTube crap and the rubbish dug up against them on that RCL website they took over. Just ugly. If it wasn’t for the court cases, battled and police I’m sure we would have had a better product.
I somehow doubt that, given that they've done practically nothing but dirty tricks for the past two years. Just look at how much Levy and Martin have smeared Smith and Andrews, and also people like Nick Cooper, and the aforementioned journalists Leo Kelion and Gareth Corfield. They've even attempted to undermine the credibility of Sky and Indiegogo, not that its done them much good.

They chose to fight all those court cases and use the backers' money to hire expensive lawyers that they still couldn't afford. It'd have cost them a damn sight less just to write off the money Cornerstone media owed them and to pay Smith and Andrews a fair price for their shares and the work they'd done, but no, that was their choice and they have to bear the responsibility for it.

That social media like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube can be an absolute cesspool, I'll grant you, but they could simply have ignored all that. They didn't have to post inflammatory updates full of lies about release dates that would just whoosh by without comment and misrepresent the status of the project so far. They certainly didn't have to indulge in lengthy rants about the former directors and their associates, who have had absolutely none of the money or any say about how it's been spent either.

As for the police, the only people who've had anything at all to say about them being involved are those two serial liars. Given that two years have passed without any charges being brought against anyone, I'm highly dubious that there was any substance to the accusations they've made.

So no, I'm not buying it. They could have simply said that the project couldn't be delivered when Smith and Andrews walked, but they didn't. They could have bought out their shares and intellectual property, and manufactured a machine based on their prototype; it would probably have taken no more than six months, but they didn't. They could started it all again from scratch, had new prototypes developed and manufactured, and it would only have taken another year or so, but they didn't. It's all their fault, and nobody else's.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:04 pm

See more misinformation. The controls might be crap but you can put games on via the SD card. Someone’s put on Commando and Atic Atac. Just trying to sort out the key mapping now (instructions from RCL would help)

The buttons do sound poor though. Can put games on the SD card. But just can’t play them too well ;)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:29 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:04 pm
See more misinformation. The controls might be crap but you can put games on via the SD card. Someone’s put on Commando and Atic Atac. Just trying to sort out the key mapping now (instructions from RCL would help)

The buttons do sound poor though. Can put games on the SD card. But just can’t play them too well ;)
A few people have found a work around, but this only seems to work on SOME units. So no, it's not "more misinformation" because there seems to be more people who can't get SD cards working than people who can. It didn't work at all on either of the models I tried.

Even then the awful buttons and joypad render the games unplayable anyway.