Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Will you buy a Spectrum Vega Plus

Yes
21%
No
67%
Can't Decide
12%

Total votes: 82

English Invader

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by English Invader » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:58 pm

I'm getting one because I'd rather play Speccy games on a contemporary Sinclair machine than a soulless tablet or mobile phone.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:40 pm

Haven't quite decided, but strongly suspect I'll be tempted to get one at some point.

There has been no word yet on whether RC are looking for more games or will go with the same 1000 that were included with the Vega. Either way, I will continue to support the Vega.
No longer part of the Spectrum scene but still supporting Multi-Platform Arcade Game Designer over at https://jonathan-cauldwell.itch.io/
I am not on Twitter.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:21 am

Presume it'll be mostly the same but with some current homebrew games

Sure they want loads more but it must be a nightmare trying to contact IP holders or in some cases Microsoft own the ultimate ones and Elite might own exclusive rights perhaps to some games. Must be tricky

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:04 am

I have no use for mobile gaming. If I want to play a Spectrum game, I'll play it on my Spectrum, or PC emulator. Even if I did want to play on the go, I'd struggle to play without a joystick.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:06 am

psj3809 wrote:Presume it'll be mostly the same but with some current homebrew games

Sure they want loads more but it must be a nightmare trying to contact IP holders or in some cases Microsoft own the ultimate ones and Elite might own exclusive rights perhaps to some games. Must be tricky
Personally, I don't care what games they include because you can add your own games via micro-SD.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:22 am

English Invader wrote:I'm getting one because I'd rather play Speccy games on a contemporary Sinclair machine than a soulless tablet or mobile phone.
On essentially the same "soulless" tablet/mobile technology, just with more limitations and with a Sinclair badge on it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:28 am

English Invader wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Presume it'll be mostly the same but with some current homebrew games

Personally, I don't care what games they include because you can add your own games via micro-SD.
Pretty much.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:38 am

Pre ordered , red , cannot wait ! :D £100 - bargain !
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:08 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
psj3809 wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:External keyboard isn't really what I want on a portable. It needs something built in, or at the very least a touch screen one.
There is a touch screen one i believe just like the original Vega. Havent used it but i presume its like the spectaculator app, press an icon to get the keyboard up onscreen. I think for text adventures its probably not ideal but its handy to have i suppose.

Like you i wont be playing text adventures or that on it, mostly arcade style games.
Vega didn't have a touch screen, it had an on screen keyboard system you had to navigate with the dpad.

I want 'touch' screen as a minimum.
Which is why I said on another thread that they should have gone with a 'DS' style , with the lower screen being a virtual keyboard - or it could be used for other cool stuff like selected additional buttons to use during the game (some you may just have the 'A' 'P' and 'M' keys for example), or you could have the loading screen, or even use it to spread the picture between the top and bottom screens (if you so chose) - the possibilities are great.

Or even just have the bottom section as an actual keyboard - if a Blackberry can squeeze a full,usable. keyboard onto a mobile, it could be done here also. Putting the machine into a PSP style case seems crazy, especially when Speccy games aren't played widescreen.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:01 pm

Wouldnt say its crazy, the way its blown its target seems to suggest people love the look

I'm glad it doesnt have an extra screen or a keyboard which comes out. Roll on September

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:11 am

psj3809 wrote:I'm glad it doesnt have an extra screen or a keyboard which comes out.
Why? Just seems like you're blowing a raspberry at the idea just to support the devs because they haven't addressed it this time round.

It was a major complaint for the original Vega, and it would enable a much wider library of games to be easily playable. There's an awful lot of Spectrum games that use multiple keys to play, some of those very good. You might not want to play Elite on a Vega, but others might. Its such a simple thing to add, and since this is a portable computer, not a portable console, keyboard would be very useful.

You might be ok with the Vega Plus, but to be 'glad' it doesn't have a keyboard is like cutting your nose off to spite your face. I'll be glad when you find there are games you want to play that are made awkward because of the failing :P
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:19 am

At the end of the day you cant please everyone, i love the look of the Vega Plus, i personally wouldnt want it to have a keyboard. Others do, fair enough.

Think the plugin USB keyboard would be good as like you say i could then play other games with multiple keys. I'm just looking forward to September when its out, glad for Chris this so far seems a success as the original Vega sadly didnt seem too successful.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:54 am

A plug in keyboard on a portable system seems like a major design flaw to me...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:30 am

For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:35 am

You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue