Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Will you buy a Spectrum Vega Plus

Yes
21%
No
67%
Can't Decide
12%

Total votes: 82

psj3809

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:37 am

Matt_B wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:16 am
psj3809 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:24 am
Dont get me wrong i'm annoyed by the Vega Plus story, i do feel its bad on BOTH sides though, i get frustrated as some people seem to think the ex directors are 100% innocent in all of this.
There's only one side that's guilty of taking our money and not delivering the goods.
But do you think its a scam ? I played on one at the Blackpool show back in Easter, people i know had been sent ones to test out (Cauldwell etc). Due to actions from the ex directors 'allegedly' it just hasnt helped one bit. When they had the prototypes ready there were still fake trolling twitter accounts, idiots on youtube constantly putting out negative stuff. This happened the second the ex directors left.

To me both sides have made major mistakes

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:13 am

psj3809 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:37 am
But do you think its a scam ? I played on one at the Blackpool show back in Easter, people i know had been sent ones to test out (Cauldwell etc). Due to actions from the ex directors 'allegedly' it just hasnt helped one bit. When they had the prototypes ready there were still fake trolling twitter accounts, idiots on youtube constantly putting out negative stuff. This happened the second the ex directors left.

To me both sides have made major mistakes
Yes, it's a scam. They've had our money for two years, and delivered no units to backers. There are bank statements that have been used in a court case that show that they've spent it all. Most of it went on a combination of legal fees and payments to the directors. Very little went on developing the hardware, and there was none left for manufacturing it.

We know that they've made a number of prototypes. Most of these used both hardware and software designed by Chris Smith that he was never paid for, so he retains ownership of the intellectual property within and they couldn't release something made from them. Still, that's what happens when you force your CTO to resign and try to illegally appropriate his shares. We know that there were also some newer prototypes designed by Janko Mrsic-Flogel with a different firmware mostly cobbled together out of free software, and that's probably what you played.

Still, if you think 20-30 prototype units is worth half a million pounds and that totally isn't a scam, be my guest. I don't think you'll find too many people who'll agree with you though.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:31 pm

There was a time I thought the two main people at the centre of this were just simply incompetent and a bit useless at what they are do and are trying to do.

Now- there's no doubt they are fraudulent. None at all. More and more is coming out by the day now, the lengths they have gone to. It is astounding.

***Edited add on: I am assuming no one has received the 'shipping this week' Vega+ V2s that were supposed to have been sent out several weeks ago now? RCL have once again gone very silent...one would assume a new 'shipping this week' update will appear before the upcoming meeting

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:41 pm

Sigh...the inevitable 'shipping this week!' update has arrived right on cue for the next meeting.

This time, they claim '400' have been sent out last week to those that have kept the faith...their most loyal supporters. And this apparently, proves all the haters, all the naysayers wrong.

So...just eagerly awaiting one of these supporters that has received theirs to upload a review of the Vega+ V2 to stick it to all the haters...

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:07 pm

The circus continues.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I suspect that this one is going to work out rather similarly to all their previous shipping dates.

Spector

Post by Spector » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:00 am

kiwimike wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:41 pm
Sigh...the inevitable 'shipping this week!' update has arrived right on cue for the next meeting.

This time, they claim '400' have been sent out last week to those that have kept the faith...their most loyal supporters. And this apparently, proves all the haters, all the naysayers wrong.

So...just eagerly awaiting one of these supporters that has received theirs to upload a review of the Vega+ V2 to stick it to all the haters...
Matt_B wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:07 pm
The circus continues.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I suspect that this one is going to work out rather similarly to all their previous shipping dates.
The feeling of deja vu is making me feel giddy now, but god only knows how it feels to the people who actually paid for it.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:54 pm

Spector wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:00 am
kiwimike wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:41 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:07 pm
The circus continues.

The feeling of deja vu is making me feel giddy now, but god only knows how it feels to the people who actually paid for it.
Some have now received their emails this time. Not heard of any independent backers receiving the actual item though, only one person crowing on social media how he's received his...the same person closely affiliated with RCL who claims not to have been paid by them over the saga yet evidence to the contrary states otherwise....and even he hasn't posted a video unpacking, playing etc, merely a static pic. So we will see. We should start seeing social media videos unpacking them this week if it's true that real backers are starting the get them.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:45 pm

Yeah, one in the hands of the campaign's most vociferous backer doesn't exactly make a shipment. And you'd think that if they really had 400 ready, at least some of them might have gone to people who could independently verify them such as Indiegogo, Sky, The Register, the BBC, etc.

Also, eagle eyed viewers have spotted some suspiciously similar scratches to the unit shown previously. It's almost as if it is the same unit and they're going to pass it around their friends to make it look as though there are more of them about.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:55 pm

Now its obvious how RCL will play this, there will be more posts on how they have 400 happy customers with no proof either way.

They can now continue to string the backers along by saying they have shipped another few, it's all they can do now, as the money has clearly gone, they have to cover their tracks.

Surely no one can doubt now we've lost our money, someone asked earlier how the backers must feel.

Annoyed would be one emotion, but sad that it could have been so different, everybody involved in this, all the directors, the trolls, many of which didn't even back the thing, have all acted appallingly, at our expense!

Did it start as a scam, certainly not, the original Vega was delivered after all, but when the split happened, and it was clear RCL would not be able to make the machine, it turned into one.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:29 pm

The first video has arrived and, surprise surprise, it's absolutely shocking. Watch and cringe:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=gv6GR9Q3oFY

I'm so glad I got a refund!!!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:27 am

The Laird wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:29 pm
The first video has arrived and, surprise surprise, it's absolutely shocking. Watch and cringe:

Come on fella you wouldnt be positive no matter what they did !

I was surprised to see one in the video, the paper bit looks terrible. The guy did a censored poor job though of showing a game on it, perhaps you have to choose kempston or something for it to be mapped. Intrigued to get mine and see what its like to put games on it, i'm happy to get the 'blank' one as i always thought i'll put my own games on it anyway. Would have been good for him to choose another game and play it, obviously wonder what the controls are like. Its not great from what i've seen in that video, just getting one out there is a shock after everything which has gone on. You would have thought the 'paper' bit would have been one of the more easier things to get right on the whole device.

Again i blame both sides, sadly the only people falling out are us the buyers. 'The others' had a huge campaign on twitter/youtube and more which just didnt help and RCL obviously struggled. Had a quick look on the 'old' RCL site which 'the others' took over and the length they've gone to to go through peoples history etc and post everything, just a bad bad stalking campaign. Quite scary. Yeah RCL have messed up but to have that sort of detail into your personal life dug up and put out there etc, just totally wrong

Just like RCL could have handled things totally different so could the trolls, their campaign was well over the top

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:28 am

The Laird wrote:

Wow. Just wow.

To be fair, even if they have only sent out a handful to cover their arses, it's a handful more than I thought they'd do.

Nevertheless...wow. It is truly awful. I paid about 25 quid- including postage- from Ali express for a retro handheld/MP4 player that looks a far superior build to that...thing. If that saves them at an upcoming meeting, the shareholders need a firing squad :lol:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:30 am

kiwimike wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:28 am
The Laird wrote:

Wow. Just wow.

To be fair, even if they have only sent out a handful to cover their arses, it's a handful more than I thought they'd do.

Nevertheless...wow. It is truly awful. I paid about 25 quid- including postage- from Ali express for a retro handheld/MP4 player that looks a far superior build to that...thing. If that saves them at an upcoming meeting, the shareholders need a firing squad :lol:
For me personally it was going to be (on paper - actually probably not the best term to use now !) a nice gadget to put on the shelf. As you say theres loads of devices out there where you can put on emulators etc (as we knew) but this was a nice to have. But i'm annoyed by the paper bit as i wanted a nice sleek Sinclair logo. I'm not in batch 1 so i'll have to wait longer.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:42 am

psj3809 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:30 am
kiwimike wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:28 am
The Laird wrote:

Wow. Just wow.

For me personally it was going to be (on paper - actually probably not the best term to use now !) a nice gadget to put on the shelf. As you say theres loads of devices out there where you can put on emulators etc (as we knew) but this was a nice to have. But i'm annoyed by the paper bit as i wanted a nice sleek Sinclair logo. I'm not in batch 1 so i'll have to wait longer.

At the end of the day, no matter what happens here to all parties at RCL- I sincerely hope you and other backers get something for your money you are genuinely happy with. Had it eventually emerged, and been available retail I would have been interested if it looked decent- even after all the fiasco- But looking at what we have seen initially, you would price that at the level of one of the many cheap knockoff handhelds available everywhere. It is sad...but even so, I do hope they commit to getting something to backers but really unsure considering what has happened and track records. I am not confident at all- but would be delighted to be proven wrong for the sake of backers.

But hey, it may become RCLs virtual boy and be worth something to collectors as a future rarity!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:50 am

Catch 22, i really thought they would have given up and just went for bankruptcy or something ages ago - certainly had lots of chances to do that. So i'm very surprised there is actually something 'here'. I had a go on the early prototype at the Blackpool show earlier this year and it was pretty good. Obviously because of the war between both sides it looks like they had to go for something different/new. Thought it looked 'okay' apart from that paper thing which sounds terrible.

So 'a bit' happy something is at least arriving as for quite a while i thought nothing would. After all the crap, hassle, money issues i suppose i was a bit naive to expect anything perfect. Once i get mine i'll want to put on my own games and then properly test out the controls, again the one from Feb i tried wasnt bad (stiff controls but it was a beta one).

Still a crazy crazy amazing sad story from all these months though