Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Will you buy a Spectrum Vega Plus

Yes
21%
No
67%
Can't Decide
12%

Total votes: 82

kiwimike

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:02 pm

We've had numerous side stories. We've had he said/she said from both parties, which is diverting from the specific issue- no product.

To me, the most telling things have emerged in the last two weeks. The SCREAMING from backers for proof it exists in the form of a current set of photos on unit V2, it's packaging, and production ready to go, as they claim it is. They either can't or won't do this, and ignore numerous requests by backers to do this after saying to one backer they would, it would 'silence the critics.'

Secondly, many backers have requested they will take their 'finished product' without installed games, making it easier to avoid these delays they say are the issue. Again, no response to these people.

Finally, they alleged they have been contacting backers by email- yet no one has found any of those lucky few that have- despite claiming to have done so before each 'road block.'

It is very difficult to believe them, in all honesty. You would have to have a lot of faith in their character considering the track record.

It should be easier to see where it's going by June's out though, finally, with IGG and the media putting pressure on , and a shareholder meeting.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:49 pm

merman wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:34 am
Oh, and there's a new excuse. Apparently Sky (who hold the controlling interest in Amstrad, who bought the rights to the Spectrum) are now causing RCL "difficulties"...
If I had to have a wild stab in the dark, I'd guess that the "difficulties" Sky are causing are to do with not having been paid any royalties.

Spector

Post by Spector » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:44 pm

I heard that June 5th was the day RCL had to give Indiegogo a working model of the Vega+ as proof they had something to send out the following week? I'm sure it was.

But anyway, it's now ten days until time runs out before the big deadline when the Vega+ machines have to be sent out to the loyal backers. Ten days. I'm looking forward to this more than the World Cup!
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:13 pm

Had an email just now from Indigogo, and low and behold the extension conditions set by them for Retro Computers have not been met, no Sky representatives contact information, no refunding of backers, and no review console has been received by Indigogo.

Full Message - The game is nearly up.

Dear Vega+ Backers,

As you are aware, we recently provided the Vega+ team a provisional extension (June 15th) to fulfill, based on some requirements from us. These included sending us contact information of Sky representatives, and refunding backers immediately upon request, as well as providing Indiegogo with a review console.

Unfortunately, these asks have not been met and we are unable to further provide the Vega+ team an extension. This has been a challenging situation for all involved, and one we thought would be resolved with the backers receiving their game consoles.

This week, we will be working with a collections agency to attempt to recoup funds disbursed, in an effort to be able to refund backers. Please note that, while we are pursuing collections, this process can take considerable time and the Vega+ team still has the opportunity to fulfill on their obligation of shipping the consoles to backers. We refer you to the Vega+ team for any updates on shipping. The campaign is still open to the Vega+ team, and they continue to have the ability to update you all via our platform.

We hope that the Vega+ team follows through on their promise, and that any remedial efforts on our part will be rendered obsolete.

Thank you for your understanding, and patience.

Trust & Safety, Indiegogo

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:05 pm

Is anyone surprised?

If you genuinely are, Chris Roberts has a new $27,000 Star Citizen package especially for you.

Seriously, I'd think that this is effectively an admission from Indiegogo that they're powerless. Their only recourse, it would seem, would be to pursue RCL through the courts, but their chance of recovering anything other than a bank account already well into the red would seem slim.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:08 am

Matt_B wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:05 pm
Is anyone surprised?

If you genuinely are, Chris Roberts has a new $27,000 Star Citizen package especially for you.

Seriously, I'd think that this is effectively an admission from Indiegogo that they're powerless. Their only recourse, it would seem, would be to pursue RCL through the courts, but their chance of recovering anything other than a bank account already well into the red would seem slim.
Sadly was as obvious as a Roadrunner cartoon, you could see it coming from miles off.

Spector

Post by Spector » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:31 am

The only downside is that indiegogo's statement will surely be used as another excuse for them not to send the console out, citing "unreasonable pressure" or some other nonsense. I didn't put any money into this thing but it really annoys me what they've done to long term fans of the Spectrum who are losing money through no fault of their own.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:34 am

They have predictably made a statement saying that they were all fine and dandy doing a demo for a representative in London but wouldn't courier one over to the IGG in the US, despite that being what they specifically requested. Presumably it would be much easier to pass off a prototype as a finished unit in such circumstances as there'd be less chance of photos and videos getting onto the internet where it'd be recognized as such.

There's also more ranting at Smith, Andrews and various of their associates, but there's no real explanation as to how they could have affected the project if we were to believe their prior press. Alternatively, you could read it as an admission they they've been lying to us for the past couple of years, and that it was doomed from the moment those two left because they were the only ones with the skills to actually get it done. Either way, it's clear that they're not prepared to take any responsibility at all for the project's failure.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:23 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:49 pm
merman wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:34 am
Oh, and there's a new excuse. Apparently Sky (who hold the controlling interest in Amstrad, who bought the rights to the Spectrum) are now causing RCL "difficulties"...
If I had to have a wild stab in the dark, I'd guess that the "difficulties" Sky are causing are to do with not having been paid any royalties.
Nope. Sky never demanded any royalties from RCL.
Game over now, Indiegogo withdrew the offer of an extension as RCL failed to meet the conditions and are sending in the debt collectors...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:28 pm

merman wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:23 pm
Nope. Sky never demanded any royalties from RCL.
Yes, it turns out that Sky were prepared to let them use the trademarks gratis, which was very nice of them. All they wanted was a finished unit for sign off purposes but RCL couldn't even supply that.
Game over now, Indiegogo withdrew the offer of an extension as RCL failed to meet the conditions and are sending in the debt collectors...
Except that they aren't, because Indiegogo would appear not to have any teeth in the matter. It's not like the money goes into some escrow account or can be charged back like a credit card; they just hand it over lock stock and barrel. If RCL have spent it, and that's a pretty reasonable assumption by now, it's gone and even legal action won't get anything back. That's probably what they want even, because if the company gets involuntarily wound up they can just walk away while continuing to blame everyone but themselves. Indeed it appears to be business as usual at RCL with more wild rants and accusations.

Realistically, our best hope for closure on this remains the shareholders' meeting. The chances are that, even if Smith and Andrews regain control, they'll only be getting an empty shell of a company with no money, no stock and that the Vega+ is no closer to going into production than when they left, but at least the Spectrum community could finally get a chance to recover from the nightmare of the past two years.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:29 am

Man. Their statements in the past day have to be seen to be believed. Or more to the point, not believed. What is particularly sad are the selective replies to questions posted after each statement- answering the questions they want to- usually in a very vague and almost abstract way- and ignoring they ones they cannot or will not answer. What especially sticks out like dogs balls...the lack of response to literally hundreds of requests for RCL to prove the unit was ready to go by way of posting photos of unit, packaging, production.

Shambolic, arrogant, dodgy and incompetent.

HdE

Post by HdE » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:38 am

Well, I was personally pleased to receive one of the prototype consoles yesterday.

Shame on you naysayers! I mean, just look at this thing. Who says the two year wait wasn't worth it? I mean, admittedly, the build quality is a bit less than I'd personally hoped for... and the D pad and buttons aren't that responsive. But what do you expect when they're drawn on with a Sharpie marker?

Also, a thorough system teardown reveals that the system... appears to lack raw processing power.

Still, at least the cardboard's nice and thick. I did think the enclosed note saying 'Hahaha, got your money, suckers' was a bit uncalled for, mind.

OBLIGATORY DSCALIMER: This is, of course, satire.

I REALLY feel bad for anybody who backed the Vega+ with their hard earned cash. I've been watching the whole fiasco unfold for a while now, and found it all quite contemptible. Got a feeling it'll rumble along for a while yet, sadly.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:49 am

Has this been on Watchdog as a showcase of the potential pitfalls of crowdfunding yet? Would make an interesting piece and would be amusing to see them trying to avoid questions in the street.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

HdE

Post by HdE » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:45 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:49 am
Has this been on Watchdog as a showcase of the potential pitfalls of crowdfunding yet? Would make an interesting piece and would be amusing to see them trying to avoid questions in the street.
Weren't RCL a bit inclined to lean on the legal threats option when the BBC reported on this before? I'd have thought that might have deterred something like that. Surely as this rumbles on into its final death throes, though, you'd think there'd be that kind of media attention.

I dunno if spinning it from a 'perils of crowdfunding' angle would necessarily be a good idea, though. I mean, the industry I work in uses crowdfunding quite a bit. But then there's lot to be said for campaign runners earning trust and running a reputable operation. Definitely not something RCL can claim.

Spector

Post by Spector » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:49 am

In a post on Saturday arguing about the background of Suzanne Martin, I said, "She definitely does not have a history of extorting money from people by making unsubstantiated allegations"

Now Nick Cooper has said the following:

David Levy confirms that the IP for the original Vega and firmware on the Vega+ was not purchased although has previously stated he over paid for it and supplied a blanked out falsified invoice to justify his comments. There are many accusations placed in this statement, but the fact of the matter is that my statement from the beginning of this saga has not faltered or been changed and is true.

The one part which he is completely right on was that I have gambled in the past, I would never dispute this but not to the extent quoted.
However how he obtained this information is more the question. Levy or RCL are not creditors in my bankruptcy. Information he obtained was twisted and two emails last week were sent to my aging father demanding answers for. When these were not replied to in a satisfactory manner, a further email was sent on Saturday. This email suggested a sit down meeting with Martin and him in Kent to discuss the situation and see if there was a solution to satisfy all parties.

Now for anyone who doesn't know levy or martins past, this is their MO, to get a family member to pay them to stop pursuing and go away. So I have them for breaching data protection, harassment of a member of my family and blackmail / extortion.

They would have you believe they are upstanding citizens and i and others are the bad guys. Well all this information has been sent to insolvency service and the police so we shall see.

======================================================================================================================================================
It appears they are trying to extort money from people by making unsubstantiated allegations. Mm. What an extraordinary coincidence.