Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Will you buy a Spectrum Vega Plus

Yes
21%
No
67%
Can't Decide
12%

Total votes: 82

Matt_B

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by Matt_B » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:19 pm

The interesting thing for me is that we're finally seeing the startup screens and menus from the new firmware which seem nicely styled after the menus on the 128K Spectrum+. We've seen it running games before but that's assumed to have been with Chris Smith's original firmware, which they wouldn't have been allowed to use.

From the information they've given us it's running a port of Fuse, which is a very accurate emulator, so if it can run one game it ought to be able to manage all of them.

I'd still be taking delivery dates with a pinch of salt though and for June to be possible they'd need to have progressed things a fair way beyond what they've already shown us and have no further skeletons in the closet. Given their past history, I don't think those are things we should be taking for granted.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:53 pm

I honestly don't see why any organisation/set-up with such shoddy, evasive communication deserves anybody's money. If they can't even show backers that sort of basic decency then that's pretty poor. Whatever the genuine issues are, somebody should just be up front and transparent. Nobody likes the way that politicians and the like wriggle out of giving straight answers or info updates so it's staggering that any business in 2017 should act in an identical way towards those who have shown faith/interest and pledged their hard-earned money.

Respect to anybody seeing this through with a positive mindset but I couldn't do it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

4am

Post by 4am » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:27 pm

A very British farce.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:13 am

Anyone had any progress/updates yet?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:26 am

kiwimike wrote:Anyone had any progress/updates yet?
There was one about the box design last week.

This thing ain't coming soon, that's for sure; they really ought to have had those sorts of things sorted out several months before their previous release dates if they were in any way serious about meeting them.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:23 am

Latest date being mooted is June

merman

Post by merman » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:23 pm

Matt_B wrote:

This thing ain't coming soon, that's for sure; they really ought to have had those sorts of things sorted out several months before their previous release dates if they were in any way serious about meeting them.
A box design that included a screenshot downloaded from a gaming site, of a game (Jetpac) that is unlikely to feature on the device...

Blog covering what is happening here:

http://codetapper.com/zxvega/daily-blog
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:29 pm

merman wrote:A box design that included a screenshot downloaded from a gaming site, of a game (Jetpac) that is unlikely to feature on the device...
Is there any other response other than a simple "lol" to that?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:06 pm

When you announce in March that you're finalising the design for the box that the unit should have been shipped in back in December, you know something's gone very wrong.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:49 pm

merman wrote:
Matt_B wrote:

A box design that included a screenshot downloaded from a gaming site, of a game (Jetpac) that is unlikely to feature on the device...

Blog covering what is happening here:

http://codetapper.com/zxvega/daily-blog
Thanks for the Blog link. I'd joined the FB page in the last week to keep up with what's going on. The blog has the timeline written out well of what's happened. This is just astounding, almost fascinating. There is a career in politics for this lot when they are done.
I wish the backers well, I really do. To quote Dragons Dens, I'm certainly out now.
It's sad. Products like the Flashbacks show there is a market for Retro machines pre loaded with games, if done well at the right price.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:12 am

I was going to post the timeline blog only to have been beaten to it. When you start reading you cant stop, questions so many questions
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:07 pm

rocky1980 wrote:I was going to post the timeline blog only to have been beaten to it. When you start reading you cant stop, questions so many questions
It's quite incredible reading, that's for sure. Each to their own, but if I was a backer I'd be hammering for a refund, and picking one up if/when it sees the light of day, once I'd made sure it's what it's supposed to be and what you're paying for. Respect to those with absolute faith in those behind this, considering their track record of being above board so far. It's blaze and associates all over again sadly.

I am thinking I've been waiting for a really good retro system to emerge, but might just have to do some homework, learn a bit and mod a PSP, because those behind these things seem to go wrong, so often. It's unfortunate as there is a market for a quality retro system, rather than sub par stuff, bad emulated stuff, cheap hardware and all priced at premium. Not getting at these blokes specifically, just all of these projects. It's disappointing, as I want some decent retro machines of the flashback type. It's a great way to have a good collection of retro games to play for each system without looking for expensive ebay titles, without needing a room to keep the library in, and pays fairly for older titles too. The Sega handheld is cheap n junky, but is also a cheap n junky price. Just waiting for a decent quality retro console. The Neo Geo X almost had me, but again just cheap hardware around an hit and miss emulator- but at premium price. The closest one to get it right so far seems Nintendo with their mini NES

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:55 pm

The Neo Geo X almost had me, but again just cheap hardware around an hit and miss emulator- but at premium price
I was so close with that a few times. However after a lot of YT videos it was a no. I have a PSP and its great if you are looking to play lots of games on the go.

The Vega+ well it would have been / is an 'official' Sinclair device with an officially licensed ROM. I think thats why a lot of people backed it.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:53 am

Yeah it's late but I'm loving the look of it at the Dizzy exhibition on Saturday. Lots of people have beta units to try and there's lots of videos of people using it on Facebook. Can't wait to get mine

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:14 am

psj3809 wrote:Yeah it's late but I'm loving the look of it at the Dizzy exhibition on Saturday. Lots of people have beta units to try and there's lots of videos of people using it on Facebook. Can't wait to get mine
I am still very keen to see reviews on it once out, and games lists etc :)