Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Will you buy a Spectrum Vega Plus

Yes
21%
No
67%
Can't Decide
12%

Total votes: 82

Matt_B

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:45 am

psj3809 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:04 am
Yeah to be fair who knows. Just thought it would have been 'easier' and expected last year if they had thrown in the towel then. Theyre now showing more 'new' videos of the device (as usual - bad ones) so i'm still surprised they havent given up. Theres so much spin/fake news from both sides i dont know who to believe

Just want to see a pile of boxes and Vegas !
The problem for RCL is that the other "side" these days isn't just a few internet trolls and disgruntled backers.

So, you could perhaps believe the BBC, the Register, Eurogamer or any of the other reputable media outlets who are reporting on it.

Or maybe you could believe Indiegogo themselves? I'm not sure I'd consider them entirely trustworthy due to certain things they've done poorly, but I'd be prepared to take their word over RCL any day.

There's certainly not much that's believable coming from RCL themselves. Pretty much everything that they post up gets picked apart within minutes these days. They're already even denying that the unit shown in the video is a prototype or that the glue shown had just been used to put it together. Then again, the only person they need to convince right now is Clive Sinclair, because he's the one with the vote that counts.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:50 am

I know exactly which 'side' for want of a better term to believe. Put it this way- for people that have boasted they are all set to go they are certainly struggling to show any photos or footage to prove that. A dodgy video with some cheap effects stuck on, clearly showing an unfinished prototype does not prove they have many V2 units stacked and ready to go. And they either cannot or will not prove that, despite their promises for weeks to do so.

Considering the flak they gave the C64 mini never seeing the light of day and just being vapourware I would have thought they would be better prepared to prove themselves or just plain shut up. Results speak for themselves :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:53 am

Every time there’s a news item I think ‘this is ir’ And then it’s either a long winded message about the ex directors or like the other day one about Sir Clive’s poor health

Again just a photo of a stack of Vegas would do wonders for them

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:30 am

...And you then need to ask yourself- why is that seemingly simple task, to provide a couple of photos on Vega V2 completed, packaged and stacked and ready to go- as they have claimed for weeks...so absolutely difficult? It is pretty obvious at the end of the day, that they choose to provide updates about anything and everything except that, and will answer inane crap on their pages yet won't answer that one simple request, over and over, by many backers.

Best wishes to Sir Clive in his ill health though.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:35 am

kiwimike wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:30 am
...And you then need to ask yourself- why is that seemingly simple task, to provide a couple of photos on Vega V2 completed, packaged and stacked and ready to go- as they have claimed for weeks...so absolutely difficult? It is pretty obvious at the end of the day, that they choose to provide updates about anything and everything except that, and will answer inane crap on their pages yet won't answer that one simple request, over and over, by many backers.

Best wishes to Sir Clive in his ill health though.
They are even making it new news that Clive is ill, he's been ill for a very long time and Levy has been using that to his advantage because it gave him control of Clive's stake. Unfortunately for him there are other directors in Sinclair Research too apart from Clive and they have now realised what's going on. You'll notice that Sinclair Research have in fact been removed as Directors from RCL, apparently it had already been agreed this would happen AFTER the re-arranged shareholders meeting, Levy did it early though. This doesn't serve him the advantage he thought he had though, because they are still a major shareholder and because they proposed certain actions in the first meeting as a director (that shareholders wouldn't be able to do) by law these have to be carried through to the second meeting. Checkmate.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:52 am

One does wonder the point of the Sir Clive update, as it was indeed common knowledge he has not been well for quite a while. Yet another excuse for upcoming delays maybe, or perhaps an update that feels a bit mean spirited to ask further questions about the Vega+ V2 considering the contents in regards to Clives health. Not sure. We all wish the man best wishes in regards to his health of course, but the update seems completely irrelevant.

Since then, there have been further accusations the video was nothing more than a prototype, to which they deny as usual, and without evidence, as usual. And the usual calls for photographic and/or video evidence of the production, packaging and a number of V2s ready to go, ignored. As usual. And often deleted.
Last edited by kiwimike on Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:35 pm

Can you imagine running a business where after a huge delay in getting your product to market, you give another delivery date...and when it passes, act like it never happened? No apologies, no explanations and no excuses. You just post a video and act like you hadn't promised a thing. That video didn't prove a thing and still a handful of people greeted it with enthusiasm. I'd love to know where all that money went.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:10 pm

What a shame. The Spectrum is one machine I haven't yet explored to any degree, and the idea and look of the Vega+ would be something I would have been very tempted to get, but I stayed away from backing because of past known experiences with hardware & crowdfunding. Having said that, if by some miracle the machine gets developed and sold on market its something I think I would like to buy, but at this point it sadly doesn't look like happening.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:28 pm

binaryRooster wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:35 pm
Can you imagine running a business where after a huge delay in getting your product to market, you give another delivery date...and when it passes, act like it never happened? No apologies, no explanations and no excuses. You just post a video and act like you hadn't promised a thing. That video didn't prove a thing and still a handful of people greeted it with enthusiasm. I'd love to know where all that money went.
Read the bank statements, they have all been leaked online and show exactly where all the money went!

Spector

Post by Spector » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:39 pm

The Laird wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:28 pm
binaryRooster wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:35 pm
Read the bank statements, they have all been leaked online and show exactly where all the money went!
The way you wrote that, it's almost as if you're suggesting they have acted improperly with backers' money!
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:01 am

Yeah, I doubt too many people backed it on the expectation that the directors would pay themselves over £220,000 out of the crowdfunding money before any product was delivered and spend another £180,000 or so on the legal fees for contesting two ultimately fruitless court cases. It's small wonder that precious little development seems to have gone on, because they'd barely have had any money left over for it.

Spector

Post by Spector » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:37 am

Matt_B wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:01 am
Yeah, I doubt too many people backed it on the expectation that the directors would pay themselves over £220,000 out of the crowdfunding money before any product was delivered
:shock:
£220,000? Can that be proven without doubt? If it's as much as that then it really IS obvious what's been going on.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:16 am

Spector wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:37 am
Matt_B wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:01 am
Yeah, I doubt too many people backed it on the expectation that the directors would pay themselves over £220,000 out of the crowdfunding money before any product was delivered
:shock:
£220,000? Can that be proven without doubt? If it's as much as that then it really IS obvious what's been going on.
It's what you get if you add up the payments to Levy, Martin and Mrsic-Flogel in the leaked bank statements and, given that they've already been used as evidence in a court case, that's good enough for me.

Still, if you want proof without a doubt you'd better hope that Sir Clive votes the right way when the meeting reconvenes on Monday.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:44 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:04 am
Yeah to be fair who knows. Just thought it would have been 'easier' and expected last year if they had thrown in the towel then. Theyre now showing more 'new' videos of the device (as usual - bad ones) so i'm still surprised they havent given up. Theres so much spin/fake news from both sides i dont know who to believe

Just want to see a pile of boxes and Vegas !
There was a video of the prototype posted online last week. It did not look good.

I was never "trolling" in this thread, I was raising real concerns about the quality of the product and the ability of the company to deliver it. There was also the issue of paying royalties to developers - or rather, NOT paying royalties or the suggested donation to charity in their place.

Sitting in this room near me is a C64 Mini, the finished product. There is still no proof the Vega+ is even being manufactured...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:42 pm

I have a C64 mini also. We have the part 2 shareholders meeting on monday lets see what that brings
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image