Panasonic 3DO double game packs?!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

retroman83

Panasonic 3DO double game packs?!

Post by retroman83 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:50 am

Hi all, I've recently acquired a bundle of 3DO games from a local seller.

This particular one is really bugging me, it's 2 different games in the same case and I can't find any information about them anywhere on the internet!

I'm starting to get a feeling that someone has put the 2 games together themself because maybe a case was smashed or something.

Any 3DO experts that can confirm this type of bundle was a thing? Or that someone's done it themself?

Cheers :?
Last edited by retroman83 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RodimusPrime

Re: Panasonic 3DO double game packs?!

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:39 pm

Yeah that looks like a custom job TBH.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:56 pm

If it was offical the back would have screen shots/info of both games

I have done the same thing with my Virtua cop 2/House of the dead jewel cases

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:53 am

I think the Americans had something similar by the look of it.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/3do/gex/c ... rId,44920/

As you can see the spine has Gex on it, maybe yours is a European one.

retroman83

Post by retroman83 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:42 am

Ooooo! Good find!

The chap I bought them from was not English so possibly they are from another continent, as I'm sure 3DO games are not region blocked?

What also makes me think they are not hand-made is the fact that the single case games I've got, the manuals are the front cover insert (ie: you slide out the manual and then there is no front cover to the case).

Whereas with these double games, the manuals are separate to the covers.
But then again it is in a double case so it would be separate anyway (if both Gex and Slam were originally in separate double cases).
Oh I dunno.

I thought I was onto the rarest game in existence here lol.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:42 pm

retroman83 wrote:The chap I bought them from was not English so possibly they are from another continent, as I'm sure 3DO games are not region blocked?
3DO games are indeed region-free but the back cover of your Gex has the ELSPA ratings logo on it which denotes a European release version of the game.

The only other thing which might point to this being a real pack is that both games are by Crystal Dynamics so there is at least some vague connection. It isn't a random mish-mash of games from different developers/publishers.

I think unless there is a record of this being a legit release, it may be impossible to ever know since there's every sign that it could also be a custom job. Unfortunately, 3DO releases aren't the best documented. US games for example were imported and released in Europe with ELSPA or BBFC ratings stickers covering the American equivalent so there's a bit of a debate as to whether these constitute as Euro releases (since they must have been sold here as legit imports) or not.

Retro Collect forums may be a better place to ask. There's actually a 3DO collecting thread with these kinds of debates on the first page of the 'retro' section at the moment :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

retroman83

Post by retroman83 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:18 am

Nooo I don't want to sign up to any more forums lol!

Should we be recommending rival forums anyway? :lol:

Helpful response though cheers for the extra information.
No wonder I can't find anything useful if they aren't documented well.

I will have a browse of Retro Collect and see if I can find anything but don't want to sign up, if anyone else is a member and feeling extra kind could they post a link to this thread in their 3DS thread pretty please? lol.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:41 pm

retroman83 wrote:I will have a browse of Retro Collect and see if I can find anything but don't want to sign up, if anyone else is a member and feeling extra kind could they post a link to this thread in their 3DS thread pretty please? lol.
Have done it for you :wink:
http://www.retrocollect.com/forum/viewt ... 91#p111391
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.