Game releases you waited ages for but never played.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mrmessy

Game releases you waited ages for but never played.

Post by mrmessy » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:51 am

Were there any games that you waited ages for, but by the time they were finally released, you had moved on and never played it - or perhaps played it MANY years later?

For me there were two main ones that I recall:

Frontier on the Amiga. I was really looking forward to this for what seemed like ages, but by the time it finally came out, I had sold all my Amiga stuff and moved on to a SNES (with Super Wild Card) and the more arcade-y gaming experience that drew me in… I took a look at Frontier many years later on an Amiga emulator, but didn’t have a clue how to play it and gave up after about 5 minutes.

Myst 3 Exile on the PC. I had played Myst and Riven and really liked them (I know), so when I heard that Exile was coming out I was DEFINITELY going to get it. I had Exile wallpaper on my PC for months. I think it was delayed and by the time it was finally released I had become fed up with PC gaming and bought my mate’s PS2 off him in the meantime. I still had my PC but I never bothered to play Exile, even to this day.
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

pratty

Re: Game releases you waited ages for but never played.

Post by pratty » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:44 am

Sleeping Dogs, don't own an Xbox or Playstation and don't have a lot of interest in buying one, so by the time I get around to upgrading to a PC that will play it adequately, I'll probably forget all about it. :lol:
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:59 am

I have a copy of the hugely over-hyped and much delayed 3D Game Maker by CRL on cassette for the Speccy, some 30 years after it was first announced. I haven't run it as byall accounts it's a bit crap actually!

By the way, apart from one dodgy bit where you can't easily spot a gap to get out half-way along a hollow log, I think Exile is probably the best of the Myst series. I played it on the XBox. The properly panoramic views with inserted video are technically impressive and the game itself has fairly complex and sometimes frustrating puzzles, but nothing wildly obscure.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:24 pm

The last of Us, I have had it sitting on the shelf for well over a year now.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

fouldsc

Post by fouldsc » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:12 am

rocky1980 wrote:The last of Us, I have had it sitting on the shelf for well over a year now.
you are missing out on a future classic - brilliant game, first game where I wanted to watch the cut scenes.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:18 am

rocky1980 wrote:The last of Us, I have had it sitting on the shelf for well over a year now.
Don't bother. The gameplay is terrible and the story barely makes up for it.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:29 am

tad harsh although everyone has an opinion on games, The last of us was the first game where I actually cared about the outcome of the characters. If you knock the gameplay you also knock Uncharteds gameplay as theyre mainly the same type of game - and surely theyre not bad games. It certainly drags after a brilliant opening but get past the initial walky walky talky bits and you genuinely feel connected to joel and ellie. I didnt really enjoy the DLC but thats by the by.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:38 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:tad harsh although everyone has an opinion on games, The last of us was the first game where I actually cared about the outcome of the characters. If you knock the gameplay you also knock Uncharteds gameplay as theyre mainly the same type of game - and surely theyre not bad games. It certainly drags after a brilliant opening but get past the initial walky walky talky bits and you genuinely feel connected to joel and ellie. I didnt really enjoy the DLC but thats by the by.
Oddly enough I don't rate Uncharted very highly either (although, because of that, I've only played the first one).

You can't tell me you enjoyed the umpteenth stage where you're trapped in a building with zombies coming in? Or getting killed over and over and over by Clickers? One hit kills - now those are always fun, right? :roll:

I was warned off the game by one of my mates. I said to him "but the reviews are so good" and he insisted I'll hate it. I ignored his advice and played it anyway. I spent the whole time expecting the good bit to come along, but it never came. Now I wish I had listened to him and just skipped it.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:00 am

I didnt mind the one hit kills of the clickers as it usually meant It was my fault due to impatience or rushing from one area to the next. Sussing out a way to dispose of them whether its chucking a molotov at an enemy causing them to scream as they die which in turn lured a clicker to them setting said clicker on fire too. When i first did it, i thought i was a god.
The only irritating issue i have is the torch and having to shake it every so often to restart the batteries.
Did you finish it?

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:42 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:I didnt mind the one hit kills of the clickers as it usually meant It was my fault due to impatience or rushing from one area to the next. Sussing out a way to dispose of them whether its chucking a molotov at an enemy causing them to scream as they die which in turn lured a clicker to them setting said clicker on fire too. When i first did it, i thought i was a god.
The only irritating issue i have is the torch and having to shake it every so often to restart the batteries.
Did you finish it?
I did. But only because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Needless to say, I didn't think much of the ending.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:12 am

I didn't enjoy The Last of Us and had pretty much bought a PS3 specifically for it.
It was getting to the end of last generation and I'd played most of what I wanted to play on the 360 so I traded it in to get a PS3 with most of the highly regarded titles which I hadn't played.
I found The Last of Us particularly underwhelming. It was structured in a similar way to Uncharted - corridor, arena, corridor, arena etc. At least Uncharted had some fairly decent platforming thrown in.
In terms of story, The Last of Us was pretty good for a video game but nowhere near as good as a film or book such as The Road.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:59 am

To get back on topic, a game I'd been waiting for ages for but haven't really played is Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I got quite caught up in the hype about this game but when it arrived I put the disc in and played (well watched cut scenes mostly) for about 45 mins.
I think I just don't really 'get' JRPGs. The story was okay as a starting point but the characters were really annoying. I was quite dismayed to realise that you had to have a character that looks like some sort of pedo-fantasy in your team too. I'm frankly embarrassed to play a game which features a highly over sexualized teen (if that) girl.
I may go back to it at some point as I think there are some genuinely quite impressive achievements in the game in terms of the world and environment.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:46 am

I waited a long while for Two Worlds 2 having really liked the first one but by the time it came out I was sort of done with RPGs and just didn't fancy it.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:00 am

just quickly about The Last Of Us, I too didn't like it, yet so many think its the best thing since, ever. Just don't understand it at all.

I waited for GTA V for ages, read all the mag reviews and hype so damn much that by the time it came around to get the game and play it, well I bought the game and then it just sat there.. and sat there. I think I was all hyped out! I feared it wouldn't live up to the 10/10 ratings! (probably because of what I'd experienced with Last Of Us actually.. some saying its the best game of all time, and whatnot).

I actually think I'm better off barely reading about a new release, maybe just find out a tiny bit about it and then play it. For me anyway I think that is best.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:01 pm

The Last Of Us was bloody brilliant in my opinion.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD