Vega + - Kickstarter

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Vega + - Kickstarter

Post by psj3809 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:40 am

This has suddenly appeared...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the- ... us-console#/

Think it looks very cool. Sure they've learnt their mistakes from the original Vega. Thought the Vega wasnt bad but just wasnt keen on the controls. Presume this will have a similar 1000 games on it but you can add your own (which saves it i think)

Nice gadget, concept design by Rick Dickinson which is good.

Must admit i would be tempted by this. Yeah i could get a PSP or something else and whack on a Speccy emulator but this does look good. Very tempting

£100 for one isnt bad,sure some people will complain at the price though !

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Vega + - Kickstarter

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:48 am

Will be interesting to see if this smashes its target as quickly as the original, particularly as the original wasn't that good and it's most likely going to have exactly the same games again.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:02 pm

Looks nice...still doesn't do anything my 30 quid PSP hasn't been able to do for the last seven or eight years.

An improvement for sure, but its a no from me.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:04 pm

For me i didnt mind the games issue as you could thankfully load up your own via the SD card.

I think for nearly anyone creating something like this to try and get fully licensed games from all the main publishers would be a nightmare and near impossible. Hence lots of filler on the Vega

But as long as you can load up your own thats great. The mock-up looks great, something like this would be how i would imagine Sinclair would release it in this day and age.

Amazing in the year 2016 theres a magazine every month about retro games and theres a new 'Sinclair' gadget coming out to play 30+ year old games on it

fouldsc

Post by fouldsc » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:19 pm

Agree with the_hawk

This thing is a total waste of money IMHO - for me a £25 second hand PSP with emulator will serve you better.
For that £25 you can emulate ZX Spectrum,C64,Master System,Mega Drive,NES,SNES,Atari 2600,Neo Geo, Game Gear, Gameboy, PC Engine, ST, Amiga , the list can go on - oh and lets no forget if you get bored of all them you could play some pretty darn good PSP games which you can pick up for a quid or two.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:30 pm

I quite like the ZX Spectrum emulator on the DSi/Lite. Quite useful having the lower screen for controls and options.

So yea, one could pick up a DS Lite and Flashcard for very very little instead. I'm no Spectrum fanboy though, so sure there are plenty interested.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:59 pm

I like it, it has potential for the fanboy in me, but I don't think it addresses my main issue with the Vega, the lack of a keyboard. Couldnt see any mention of it being a touch screen. The ideal would be a PSP Go slidey out bottom with real keys (or better,a clam shell to protect the screen). I can suffer dpad on a handheld, but the last version really needed to be a stick.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:14 am

Yeah this also sparks an interest from me. I liked the original although price cringed me a bit, and this does add interest for me as Speccy on the go and into the TV.
I'll have to see the full line up that comes loaded within, and I also have to do some homework on the games download part. The honest truth is I am not tech savvy so what it really needs to be in regard to downloading further titles is simple to use! But yes, actually this is one retro machine that does make me lean forward and look into it a bit further. The price is a little high, but if good quality and does things well and simply, I could be keen on this one. :)

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:52 am

It's kind of beautiful but utterly unnecessary. Like Hawk says, do it all on the PSP. Fuse on there is pretty much flawless.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:00 am

I'm glad to see them coming back for another crack at this, as I was rather hoping that the original Vega might eventually have been turned into a mass market product by now. For the same price this seems a lot better value for money too, although you're obviously never going to get as much bang-for-buck from buying into a small production run boutique project than you would with a machine that's been built in the millions of units like the PSP or DS. That's just the price of making it happen.

Anyway, I expect they'll hit their crowdfunding target pretty quickly again as, well, it's a handheld Spectrum and it looks so much better than Ben Heck's. A couple of the flaws of the original machine remain in the lack of an HDMI output - presumably way too expensive to license, although the built in screen makes that less of an issue - and the lack of full keyboard support, although if it's got some sort of USB port that might be fixable. You could just about play strategy games and flight simulators once they released the mapping file format, but text adventures remain a massive faff on it.

I'd assume that you're getting the same games, presumably minus Hudson Hawk, which includes a lot of goodies from the Ultimate back catalogue amongst others. Sticking your own ones on there isn't exactly rocket science anyway,

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:00 pm

Its getting a lot of mainstream media attention, looks like it will get founded. Some people are not happy that it has no HDMI port on it, others want to see the "fully working prototype" yet all that is shown in the video and stills are renders. As others have said a PSP will do the job far cheaper
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:36 pm

They're up to £57,000 now, so I reckon they'll hit the goal in another day or two.

The initial run is 2500 machines this time though, so there's less of a rush to sign up if you want one.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:40 pm

Ok, massive missed opportunity here. Rather than model it on the PSP, it should have been modelled on the DS, with the bottom screen either being a virtual keyboard, or better still ditch the screen and have an actual keyboard in the bottom portion. As it is , it's basically a PSP with a cool Sinclair shell (although it is a 'normal' , rather than wide, screen)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:48 pm

I think most of the people on here own Parrots and have Wooden legs and expect every game at IOS prices!

I have to agree the Spectrum Emulator on the DS is far superior due to the extra screen and general ease of use from the touch screen.. Other than Cex and Stolen goods converter, you'd have to buy a second hand "MEGA RARE" PSP with several "MEGA RARE FIFA GAMES" from some scrutter of Ebay.. I think a lot of people don't know how to hack a PSP or find install roms...
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:10 am

Shinobi wrote:I think most of the people on here own Parrots and have Wooden legs and expect every game at IOS prices!

I have to agree the Spectrum Emulator on the DS is far superior due to the extra screen and general ease of use from the touch screen.. Other than Cex and Stolen goods converter, you'd have to buy a second hand "MEGA RARE" PSP with several "MEGA RARE FIFA GAMES" from some scrutter of Ebay.. I think a lot of people don't know how to hack a PSP or find install roms...
Agreed...'Simply pick up a PSP and download' etc may be quite simple for a section of retro gamers- And I feel a bit thick admitting that I wouldn't have a clue- but I think many would struggle, at least initially while learning how to.
If this makes the download aspect easier and straightforward, that would decide whether I want one or not tbh. As looking at the list of 1000 games, the ones I particularly would like aren't there :lol: