Worst games in otherwise great franchises

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

theantmeister

Re: Worst games in otherwise great franchises

Post by theantmeister » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:30 am

Space Quest 6. Talk about going out on a low :(

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:39 am

binaryRooster wrote:
Big Shoes wrote:Crackdown 2, 360
Oh god yes. It's a truly odd thing when you have a sequel that to all intents and purposes is pretty much the same but completely lacks the character of the first.

I thought there was a lot to love in Bioshock 2 (Andrew Ryan's propaganda Rapture museum was a real highlight). Wasn't as good as the first game but a lot of that was down to how amazing seeing the setting was for the first time in the original. You can also argue why don't the splicers come after the little sisters when you kill their big daddies in the first game if you want to look at flawed game logic.
I think it very much comes down to art direction and a smidge of storytelling. The first Bioshock is a fairly run of the mill FPS, but this is masked by what at the time were some unique visuals, its style was quite charming for a while. The actual underlying gameplay is nothing special. With the storyline tacked onto it and the big twist reveal at the end, it was reasonably memorable in game terms, but that just really shows how limited most games are in this respect. Any sequels are just more of the same, with the downside that the original had rather worn out its welcome by the end.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

GouldFish

Post by GouldFish » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:56 am

Max Payne 3 (RockStar managed to get everything wrong with this game, everything).

Fear 3.

Monkey Island 4.

Deus-Ex 2.

Metroid Other-M

FF7, Sorry I've given it lots of chances but I just can't find any fun in that game.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:19 am

Some excellent shouts so far. Ones that really let me down that have been mentioned so far.

Double dragon V
Resident Evil 6 ( I actually really enjoyed 5 )
Renegade 3 ( Target Renegade and Renegade were brillkiant on the amstrad )

Going to add a couple more

Golden Axe Beast rider ( quite enjoy Golden axe the dual )
Final fight the revenge and final fight streetwise
Dino Crisis 3
Strider 2 ( the shitty US gold effort on MD, the PS1 strider 2 is good )
Street fighter the movie the game

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:21 am

RodimusPrime wrote:Some excellent shouts so far. Ones that really let me down that have been mentioned so far.
Street fighter the movie the game
That one and Street fighter 2 Amiga version are the worst 2 in the SF franchise...

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:58 am

Renegade 3 is indeed the standout candidate here.

Far Cry 2. Where 1 was basically Predator: The Game and brilliant for it, Far Cry 2 was just a slow trudge through gaming's least enjoyable environment ever. I know it had its fans but so does Chelsea FC and that doesn't make any sense to me either.

Far Cry 3 and 4 while not being amazing are much more fun. The series, like Ubisoft in general, ran out of ideas a while ago though.

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon. None of the fun of EDF but with all the grind, repetition and technical issues amplified. Where the other games are happy to throw around massive amounts of giant enemies, this one cut down on the sizes and still sucked when it came to frame rates.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:50 pm

I like Worms 3D, surely it's better than the first DS Worms game.

I agree with POP:Warrior Within's presentation being all wrong, but the mechanics of the game were ok, I'd still prefer it to playing the original, similarly to Worms above surely the DS games are the weakest in the franchise.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:45 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:Far Cry 3 and 4 while not being amazing are much more fun. The series, like Ubisoft in general, ran out of ideas a while ago though.

That's a bit harsh, Primal and Blood Dragon are pretty original when it comes to settings

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:43 pm

Monkey Island 4 - travesty

GTA 2 - took everything that was good and fun from the first game and threw it away

Magnetron - turned one of the best Speccy games into one of the worst.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:02 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Magnetron - turned one of the best Speccy games into one of the worst.
This!

I adore Quazatron but the sequel is horrid.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:40 am

Destruction Derby Raw - After the absolute genius of DD2, this was nothing but a disappointment. I remember not even knowing it existed till I spotted it in the shops, and the fact it came with a budget price-tag told me immediately it wasn't going to be good. I still bought it, and absolutely hated everything about it. DD2 had everything anyone could've wanted out of the genre, DD Raw didn't even try.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:09 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Destruction Derby Raw - After the absolute genius of DD2, this was nothing but a disappointment. I remember not even knowing it existed till I spotted it in the shops, and the fact it came with a budget price-tag told me immediately it wasn't going to be good. I still bought it, and absolutely hated everything about it. DD2 had everything anyone could've wanted out of the genre, DD Raw didn't even try.
Oddly, this is the only one I've played and I loved it! Strange how not playing the previous games can give you an entirely different perspective.

Wonder how I would see Destruction Derby 2 if I played it today? I still enjoy booting Raw up today so I'm not put off by aged graphics and the like.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:26 am

DD2 still plays a good racing game, the destruction elements were never that great in the series. Good tracks and handling mame racing still challenging while being able to improve with practice.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.