Worst games in otherwise great franchises

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

LAIS

Worst games in otherwise great franchises

Post by LAIS » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:32 pm

The black sheep of the family, if you will.

As far as this topics go, spin-offs bearing a great character/brand also count (eg. Super Mario Ball, Sonic Drift) if you think they're worth bringing up.

"Unofficial spin-offs" don't count - (eg. the CDi games featuring Nintendo characters)

Of course, just because a game is (for you) one of the worst in a franchise it doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, but

Here are my choices...
Super Mario Sunshine - Mechanically it's fine, but I just didn't enjoy it. It didn't feel like a Mario game, and the FLUDD gimmick felt a bit repetitive.

Sonic 3D - Sonic The Hedgehog 2006 was bad, but this was seriously disappointing. Hot on the heels of the brilliant 2D Mega Drive Sonic games I was expecting this to be spectacular - and since I played it AFTER Mario 64, I guess I was expecting something similarly groundbreaking, but it wasn't. Repetitive and dull, and it didn't really feel like a Sonic game. The start of Sonic's difficult flirtations with 3D gaming.

Sonic Labyrinth - I actually think this is the worst ever Sonic game. I'm amazed Sega were OK with this even being released, given the high quality of most of the Sonic games up till this point. You remove the speed from Sonic, and what do you have? An absolute disaster.

Sonic Blast - Another terrible Sonic Game Gear title. It looks and plays like a badly made fan game. Nintendo have never messed up Mario THIS badly. What makes it worse is that this is a 2D style platformer, which Sonic usually excels in. But it's terrible.

Crash: Mind over Mutant - No wonder this was the last Crash Bandicoot game. The redesign didn't work for me, but that's not fatal (although if Sony really are bringing him back I hope they revert to the original look.) The gameplay, though? Horrendous.

Final Fantasy XIII - Quite an obvious choice, but it still blows my mind how bad this is, and on how many levels. Tedious gameplay, probably the most confusing story I've ever played in a game, dire voice acting. Killed the franchise for me. FFXV has to be something spectacular to bring it back to life.

the_hawk

Re: Worst games in otherwise great franchises

Post by the_hawk » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:47 pm

LAIS wrote: Super Mario Sunshine - Mechanically it's fine, but I just didn't enjoy it. It didn't feel like a Mario game.
Probably why I enjoyed it! :lol:

The 1st Spyro game on the PS2, MASSIVE disappointment after 3 excellent games on the PS1.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:05 pm

I love that Sonic has 3 black sheep :lol:

I'd have to pick...

Halo 3 ODST - Or 'Halo: Firefly edition'. The atmosphere of the game is great but the enemy variety and gameplay is the most boring of any game in the franchise.

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl - Boring new pokemon, the worst of prior generations, drab regional map...I played the hell out of it on DS but looking back I'm amazed I was able to sit through it at all!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:22 pm

Mega Man wise I'd nominate the following:

Mega Man 8 - I just don't like this game. Its slow, too many gimmick levels and I just didn't enjoy the game bar the boss battles which were really fun. So its not a total loss really.

Rockman & Forte - The Wonderswan game (completely separate to the GBA/SFC version). Its not made by Capcom and it shows. Awful level design, hit detection, boss fights... basically bad everything.

Mega Man Battle Network 4 - Too many random battles and the battle system feels slower. I never finished this game because of those two facts. Can't believe its the best selling entry in the entire series!

Mega Man X7 - Its MMX in 3D. Bad camera, bad level designs, bad voice acting that never shuts up. Its pretty much unanimously the worst game in the series for many people.

Mega Man 1&3 (PC) - The PC games have almost nothing in common with the NES games. They have completely different bosses and level design and the games are just plain bad. Avoid at all costs.

Yakuza:

Yakuza Dead Souls - A zombie shooting game is not a bad concept, but the controls, AI and in game performance really hurt the game. Which is a pity as otherwise its a solid game - playable Majima and Goda are awesome and its still got tons of content like in past games.

Sonic:
Sonic 2006 - glitchy, long load times, terrible story and Shadow/Silver levels are slow/not that interesting to play. Pity as I actually got some form of enjoyment from the Sonic portions.

King of Fighters:
KOF 12 - Its basically a beta with little content, moves or characters. Terrible net code as well. Skip and buy KOF 13 instead.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:28 pm

Prince Of Persia - The Warrior Within , after the awesome Sands of Time, we had this abomination which completely removed the brilliant Arabian atmosphere and replaced it with some angry Americanised nu metal nonsense. garbage

Modern Warfare 3 was pretty poor online when compared against the supreme online play for the rest of the series.

Championship Manager 4, broken and unplayable, in a series spanning over two decades of brilliance this stands out as a real low point

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:46 pm

Good call on Final Fantasy XIII - more linear than Call of Duty with ridiculously convoluted lore

Gear of War Judgment - changed the controls for no good reason and suffered from the classic prequel trap of trying to retcon and explain everything, with characters you knew would survive to be in later games

Saints Row - mean spirited and generic GTA clone yet to find its niche

zelda 2 - I can see what they were trying to do, but it's a chore to play these days

Bioshock 2 - not a bad game, just felt like it existed to make money

Resident Evil Outbreak - a game designed for online with all the online removed. Great.

Mass Effect 3 - we all know about the ending, but that aside it felt dumbed down and rushed

Civilisation Revolution - hated the cartoon art style and gibberish voice acting

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:47 pm

I suspect we'll see a lot of Sonic in this thread...

I'll nominate Quake 3 - Arena. Not a bad game, but unlike all the other Quakes the single player is just a series of bot fights. After the brilliant Quake 2, it was a bit of a let down.

stvd

Post by stvd » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:07 pm

Negative Creep wrote: Saints Row - mean spirited and generic GTA clone yet to find its niche
A mix of franchises there. :?

I love GTA but Chinatown Wars on DS and PSP was crap.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:23 pm

Negative Creep wrote: Bioshock 2 - not a bad game, just felt like it existed to make money
While I agree that Bioshock 2 is the runt of the litter it seems churlish to hold a grudge because it "existed to make money". All commercial releases exist to make money. That's why they get a release. To make money. I hope this isn't too much of a shock to you. I feel like I'm telling you Father Christmas doesn't exist.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:49 pm

The first 2 GTA games were great ideas but played awfully, shooting someone was a complete lottery, fortunately the series took off after GTA 3...

Mortal Kombat shaolin monks plays ok but should really have been a mini game as part of another more traditional Mortal kombat game like Deadly alliance for example.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:25 pm

Assassins creed unity. It had some decent bits but overall it was poor compared to all the rest.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:27 pm

The Beans wrote:
Negative Creep wrote: Bioshock 2 - not a bad game, just felt like it existed to make money
While I agree that Bioshock 2 is the runt of the litter it seems churlish to hold a grudge because it "existed to make money". All commercial releases exist to make money. That's why they get a release. To make money. I hope this isn't too much of a shock to you. I feel like I'm telling you Father Christmas doesn't exist.

Of course they do, but my point is it felt like it existed because the Execs wanted a sequel, not as a labour of love and logical extension to the story. The bits where you had to defend the Little Sisters got really annoying, the multiplayer was pointless and the plot made litte sense (how is Rapture still in one piece several years after the first game? Why do the Big Sisters attack you even if you save the Little Sisters?)

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:51 pm

First name that comes to mind is Monkey Island 4... I have a hard time even remembering there's a MI 4.

Then, Front Mission Evolved... how to bring down a great franchise. Ugly Mechwarrior clone. Evolved my a**.

Ah, and Final Fantasy XIII really is terrible. I've tried. Twice. But it's just too bad.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:04 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
The Beans wrote:

Of course they do, but my point is it felt like it existed because the Execs wanted a sequel, not as a labour of love and logical extension to the story. The bits where you had to defend the Little Sisters got really annoying, the multiplayer was pointless and the plot made litte sense (how is Rapture still in one piece several years after the first game? Why do the Big Sisters attack you even if you save the Little Sisters?)
To be fair, Execs will always want a sequel to a successful game as would most companies. I wonder if anything is a labour of love anymore in terms of making games unless you're in the indie/retro scene where you can make any wacky game you see fit.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:33 pm

the_hawk wrote: The 1st Spyro game on the PS2, MASSIVE disappointment after 3 excellent games on the PS1.
I was crushed by this as well. The PS1 trilogy is like a religion for me but Enter the Dragonfly was just garbage. It wasn't developed by Insomniac though and the PS2 version was also apparently rushed to be on the shelves for Christmas which is why the game has so many glitches and a lack of content. They tried to do something different with the next game and then again with the 'Legend' trilogy but I didn't try them. I'm assuming that Skylanders have killed the franchise off now even though the recent expansions don't seem to even be sold as Spyro games anymore.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.