UK supermarkets no longer stocking Nintendo?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

batman877

UK supermarkets no longer stocking Nintendo?

Post by batman877 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:34 am

I've noticed that over the past two weeks Asda and Sainsbury's have stopped selling Nintendo games and products. HMV on the high street also seem to have given up selling them. I know the Wii U is in decline, but the 3DS library is booming at the moment (i.e. plenty of high quality releases; new version of 2DS about to be released; Amiibo still very popular).

Tesco seem to be the only UK supermarket flying the Nintendo flag, many of their stores have recently started selling Amiibo for the first time with a specially designed shelf for them. Or is this just a sort lived thing that is about to vanish?

My question is, does anyone have any knowledge of who is now selling Nintendo products on the high street/supermarkets? Have Tesco done an exclusive deal with Nintendo?

Whilst I do buy a lot of stuff online, I'll be gutted if you can't browse for Nintendo products in person anymore!

MadManDan79

Re: UK supermarkets no longer stocking Nintendo?

Post by MadManDan79 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:51 am

Im pretty sure ive seen my local asda stores still selling nintendo stuff. Maybe it could just be dependent on each store. I know that colchester hmv was still selling nintendo stuff last time i looked.

I just hope the market isnt shifting towards a more demanding gaming industry run by sony and microsoft...

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:38 am

MadManDan79 wrote: I just hope the market isnt shifting towards a more demanding gaming industry run by sony and microsoft...
Imho the next PlayStation and Xbox will be just PCs that will run Sony's and MS' games. I can see MS having a "uniform" platform called "Windows Xbox" or something like that. Sony and Nintendo are likely moving towards this "uniform" future too, with Sony potentially offering a streaming service (they did they buy OnLive after all) and Nintendo building their self-sufficient platform divided into multiple devices.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:45 am

Probably also a sign of preparing for the NX if it is to come this year. I'm sure they'd make room for a "Oh look, shiny new games console!" display and promotions by selling off those "last gen" games ASAP.

Then again, it could just be how many Wii U/3DS owners there are in the town/region. Do tend to see some HMVs and supermarkets stock Nintendo still...
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:28 pm

Definitely a reduction! I rarely see any Nintendo stuff in the supermarkets anymore (and I visit all brands all over), HMV's do still stock Nintendo around my area but only a very small selection.

Having recently got into the 3DS again I'm finding it really annoying, I've ordered almost all my titles online. When I do find games in store they're usually full RRP. Nintendo games have a habit of holding their value but I refuse to pay 39.99 for New Super Mario Bros 2 :lol:

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:07 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
MadManDan79 wrote: I just hope the market isnt shifting towards a more demanding gaming industry run by sony and microsoft...
Imho the next PlayStation and Xbox will be just PCs that will run Sony's and MS' games. I can see MS having a "uniform" platform called "Windows Xbox" or something like that. Sony and Nintendo are likely moving towards this "uniform" future too, with Sony potentially offering a streaming service (they did they buy OnLive after all) and Nintendo building their self-sufficient platform divided into multiple devices.
Don't ever change xx

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:26 pm

My local Sainsburys has lots of Wii U and 3DS games (more titles than X box 1) local Asda still sells Wii games..
Last edited by Shinobi on Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:33 pm

I rarely see WII U games in Sheffield, maybe 2 or 3 games snuck away somewhere. Supermarkets are certainly not 'preparing' for the NX though! :lol:

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:36 pm

asda seem to have scaled down a lot of their entertainment sections, or more rescaled them to not sell as much game stuff. they seem to be selling loads more kids dvds though.....yay *rolls eyes*

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:41 pm

I read a while ago that tesco were doing something with Nintendo. Don't know what happened to that.

Seems to be a sign of the times. Ps4 and xbone sales are obviously booming

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:08 pm

AceGrace wrote:I read a while ago that tesco were doing something with Nintendo. Don't know what happened to that.
Probably something to do with Tesco's financial troubles.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:05 pm

Treguard wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:
Don't ever change xx
As in, keep going offtopic or keep viewing consoles as tonned down PCs? :wink: :P

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:33 pm

Sainsburys in Southend have only got a small selection, half what they used to have.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:31 pm

Their stuff is too pricy for what it offers tbh. They can only keep making hardware with dated tech, dated online and gimmicky controllers for so long. Also Nintendo games rarely drop in price. Why buy a Wii U for 300 Euros to play a handful of Nintendo games/exclusives when you can get for almost the same money a PS4 or XBO and enjoy Sony or MS exclusives alongside full 3rd party support? Or better yet, add some more money and buy a gaming PC, a system with 30+ years of gaming history available on it thru emulation, the most games of any home system and the cheapest games. It seems Nintendo existed in it's own bubble for a few years now and it shows in their declining market share. Suffice to say the Dreamcast sold more than the Wii U during the same time period and it had the plug pulled on it way too soon. And the DC was a "cutting edge" console when it hit the market, not barely better than the PS1 and N64. Yes Nintendo makes good games, but I'm not surprised at all why they keep losing market share.

p.s.: note this is comming from someone who only really eyed the Wii U from the new consoles, as I have barely any interest into PS4 and XBO.
Last edited by outdated_gamer on Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:38 pm

All the major supermarkets are here where I live (Tesco, Asda, Morrisons, Sainsburys) and none of them sell Nintendo. Saying that, the PS and Xbox selection in all but Tesco is pretty p1ss-poor and not even worth bothering with unless you're after one of the 3 latest 'big' releases. I just buy my 3DS or Wii-U games online now, especially since dedicated stores such as GAME are seemingly determined to charge the full £50 for Wii-U games and £35-40 for 3DS.
outdated_gamer wrote:As in, keep going offtopic or keep viewing consoles as tonned down PCs? :wink: :P
The former. Nobody is talking about consoles being PC's and it doesn't really have anything to do with the thread...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.