Yie Ar Kung Fu

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mire Mare

Re: Yie Ar Kung Fu

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:52 am

The arcade machine fascinated me as kid. It captured much of the action, atmosphere and fun that 80s kung fu movies coming out of HK had.

I was never as much a fan of this as I was of WOTEF or IK, IK+ but it was still good fun. I had it on the c64 and agree with Necronom's summary. I stuck at it though and could get as far as Blue (Blu?) but couldn't defeat him. I remember getting totally wound up. I have the arcade version on XBLA and I still can't beat him!!

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:41 pm

Yep, I also preferred WOTEF. I was playing it a few weeks ago from tape :D
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:38 am

necronom wrote:Yep, I also preferred WOTEF. I was playing it a few weeks ago from tape :D
WOTEF is king. I played it yesterday (via a browser-based emulator) and it's still so good. The understanding of range is so important and there's a rhythm to the fighting. Still not entirely convinced by the point scoring system but the game is great.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:41 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:
necronom wrote:Yep, I also preferred WOTEF. I was playing it a few weeks ago from tape :D
WOTEF is king. I played it yesterday (via a browser-based emulator) and it's still so good. The understanding of range is so important and there's a rhythm to the fighting. Still not entirely convinced by the point scoring system but the game is great.
Yeah WOTEF is much better. Actually really liked WOTEF II as it seemed at the time 'open world' (i know it wasnt) but it was like a great adventure combining the best from WOTEF

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:13 pm

I've always loved fighting games and back in the 8 bit days this was definitely one of my favourites on the Spectrum. I liked the variety of fighters with different attacks and I think it was pretty ahead of its time for that alone. As some have already commented, the gameplay definitely hasn't held up as well as WOTEF though.

I always wondered if the enemies in this game influenced the Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat games. Buchu is not unlike E. Honda and even does a similar dive, star throws Shuriken like the Ninja from Street Fighter, Fan throw fans similar to Kitana from MK2... Its probably coincidence as they are be pretty generic, as are most characters in this type of game, but all things that Yie Ar Kung Fu done first.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:56 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Bluce_Ree wrote:
Yeah WOTEF is much better. Actually really liked WOTEF II as it seemed at the time 'open world' (i know it wasnt) but it was like a great adventure combining the best from WOTEF
WOTEF II is basically just wandering around a big empty map looking for formula fights.

Thinking about it, that's pretty much what most "open world" games seem to amount to.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:19 pm

This is one of the games where the Amstrad CPC version is the best. Such a lovely game. The only versions to beat it are on modern machines that are running the game in emulation. It's interesting to hear such an early game that speaks - Chinese! Che che
You can find a video of all the versions here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4lL2m3tecDYT

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:21 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I remember we played it a lot, but I can't remember if it was the C64 or Spectrum version we played most, since we played both.

I know it wasn't the CPC version that runs at half the speed of the others.
Try to PLAY both the C64 and Amstrad version. Then come back and tell us which versions speed gives the best gameplay

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:44 am

ivarf wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:I remember we played it a lot, but I can't remember if it was the C64 or Spectrum version we played most, since we played both.

I know it wasn't the CPC version that runs at half the speed of the others.
Try to PLAY both the C64 and Amstrad version. Then come back and tell us which versions speed gives the best gameplay
Spectrum?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:16 am

After watching the video, it does look like the CPC version is in slow motion and on the moon. I haven't played it, though.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V