Yie Ar Kung Fu

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Yie Ar Kung Fu

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:43 pm

Share your memories of this game? It was the 8 bit beat 'em up in the arcades at the time. I have memories of it from there - an older kid was superb at it, and could pretty much complete it on one credit. My Mum used to work at a country club at the time, and there was a games room with a snooker table and a pool table, and a couple of arcade machines, and there was a cab of it there.

I've sadly never played it on the C64 - but that version does look good. So to, does the Spectrum version.

necronom

Re: Yie Ar Kung Fu

Post by necronom » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:27 pm

The C64 version is the one I played. I loved the loading pic, the music, and the graphics on it, and the game was fun to play. I could only get a few fights into it, then I'd get stuck, but I liked it.

I think I had a go on the arcade version once, though I can't remember how different it was. I probably liked the C64 version better :)
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:03 pm

I liked the Speccy version. It was on the legendary Konami Coin Op Hits compilation. Recently-ish I tried to perfect it on XBLA but could never do it in one life. Decent game but not amazing.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:42 pm

One of those pre-SFII versus fighters that I played on my Famiclone. Pretty fun, but of course we have to keep expectations lower. I tried the Arcade version too and I actually prefer the FC version to it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:57 pm

A great game and I played this to death on the speccy and the Amstrad.

Another game I preffered to play on the amstrad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lL2m3tecDY

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:02 pm

Loved it on the C64. Good graphics and great gameplay. The music is just awesome though and made the game that extra bit special. So good in fact I am now listening to it on Youtube!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:41 am

C64 had the best graphics, sound - and also (iirc) had more characters than the Speccy version. Still found the Speccy version more playable though!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:01 am

There is an amazingly good version for the Atari 8-bit computers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un8pIcq6ZlQ

merman

Post by merman » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:32 pm

I've always thought it was terrible. Sure, it had the different characters to fight against but the mechanics are terrible. That bizarre jump where Oolong goes flying and the way you can get "stuck" and suffer multiple hits. The sequel is poor too.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Green Bert

Post by Green Bert » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:56 am

Played this to death on the CBM64 back in the day. I admit to being slightly embarrassed going into WH Smiths and asking for it by name - the assistant laughed at me as he never heard of it. I can play it now and get as far as the final boss where you play the opponent that looks like Oolong (yourself) but can't beat him.

This is the definitive version for me beating even the original Konami arcade version. Graphics, music, it's all there. Very underrated by Zzap!64 at the time I seem to remember.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:00 am

I remember we played it a lot, but I can't remember if it was the C64 or Spectrum version we played most, since we played both.

I know it wasn't the CPC version that runs at half the speed of the others.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:17 am

CPC version for me, loved the music. Brother and I would take turns playing on this. It's easy to laugh now, but at the time I thought it was easily one of the best games I had, alongside BMX Simulator

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:23 am

I downloaded a version of this on Xbox Live Arcade when it was released. Advertised as an arcade classic...right :| it was bloody awful.

fouldsc

Post by fouldsc » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:09 am

Rayne wrote:I downloaded a version of this on Xbox Live Arcade when it was released. Advertised as an arcade classic...right :| it was bloody awful.
Agree, the arcade version was really hard and I never enjoyed it.

For some reason I liked the Speccy version !?!? - no idea why, must have been lack of games at the time

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:30 am

Remember this game well, i loved buying arcade conversions on the Speccy as in my young mind it was like having my own arcade in my bedroom ! Had never played the arcade game but Imagine at the time were doing a great job with arcade conversions and from the magazine previews it looked great.

Didnt disappoint back then, found it really playable, loved the way it looked. Couldnt stand however Yie Ar Kung Fu II and try as i might (as i had bought it) Shao Lins road was okay-ish.

But played Yie Ar a lot back in the day, revisited this via emulation years later and damn it does appear to be super slow. Early levels are easy but then it seems to get much harder where i used to give up as i always died. Epic game back in the day, think its aged poorly on the Speccy