retro games still worth playing today?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

funkykong

Re: retro games still worth playing today?

Post by funkykong » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:53 am

NBA Jam never seems to get old. I like the reboot they had a few years ago, but it's still fun and easy to play.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:28 pm

theantmeister wrote:
tachi wrote:A lot of the really old games are, for me, unplayable; Pacman, Space Invaders, Manic Miner etc just don't grab me anymore.
I think the earliest games I still really enjoy are from the 4th generation upwards.
I still love the earlier games but I don't find I can play them for more than a few minutes at a time :(
To be fair, I don't think you're meant to play Pacman or Space Invaders for more than a few minutes at a time. They aren't like today's mega-epic 16 hour collect-a-thons. That's part of their appeal (to me, at least).
Agree 100%. That is their appeal, quick 30min goes of a few assorted oldies, after that they do tend to bore now. Unless you have some time off work I tend to struggle finding time for the latest games. I'm not knocking them- I find them engrossing, superb in most cases. Just lack time to play them.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:49 pm

Most shmups are timeless I reckon, games like DoDonPachi will always hold up well.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:26 am

Sel Feena wrote:Someone asks for a fun retro multiplayer game, and not a single mention of Gauntlet to be seen. You are all dead to me.
I'm equally disgusted at the disinct lack of Bishi Bashi Special.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:01 am

The Beans wrote:
Sel Feena wrote:Someone asks for a fun retro multiplayer game, and not a single mention of Gauntlet to be seen. You are all dead to me.
I'm equally disgusted at the disinct lack of Bishi Bashi Special.
Bishi Bashi Special is absolutely essential.

Gauntlet has always left me a bit cold though. It might be the draining health or the mazey levels but I've never been a big fan.