Games based on books?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Shinobi

Re: Games based on books?

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:40 pm

Rebel Planet and Falcon the Renegade Lord on the C64 where based on books.. I didn't know this untill recently as Tregard mentioned the Falcon books same with C16 way of the Tiger based on the first Avenger book..

Arcade and Nes versions of Strider where based on the Manga the Nes version is much closer to the Manga as I believe it directly copied the Manga

Parasite Eve PS1 was based on a book

There was a Witcher book not sure if the game is based on it as I've never played it?
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:15 pm

Shinobi wrote: There was a Witcher book not sure if the game is based on it as I've never played it?
Yes, The Witcher games are based upon a Polish fantasy book.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:18 pm

First thing that comes to mind is the short story 'I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream'.

A very strange and original short story that was converted to the ST and Amiga I think. Never played it though.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:22 pm

Mancman wrote:First thing that comes to mind is the short story 'I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream'.

A very strange and original short story that was converted to the ST and Amiga I think. Never played it though.
That was a point and click adventure for DOS/Windows/Mac. Very original and "heavy" adventure game.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:37 pm

There was another Hobbit game in 2003.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbi ... eo_game%29

According to Wikipedia the Da Vinci Code game was based on the book rather than the movie.
Although the game was released on the same day the film of the same name opened in theatres, it is based on the 2003 novel by Dan Brown, not the film. As such, the characters in the game do not resemble nor sound like their filmic counterparts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Da_Vi ... eo_game%29

There was also a game called War Of The Worlds, which wikipedia claims was based on the book, though as it's apparently just a Space Invaders clone it probably only borrowed the title.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_th ... eo_game%29

For some reason i seem to recall a BBC Micro game called "1984" or "George Orwell's 1984" but I can't find anything on it online so maybe I'm just imagining it, or maybe it was just the novel itself available to read on the computer.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:38 pm

Jungle book, Harry Potter, Hunt for red October - theres a few from me.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:16 am

Mindfighter , which came with the book (dificult to complete without reading it first). Interesting book, average game.

James Clavell's Shogun

Taipan
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:07 am

I think there was a Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy game somewhere along the way, noted for a notoriously difficult puzzle involving obtaining the babelfish. I think they had t-shirts printed for people who managed to solve it.

There are a few Dune games from Frank Herbert's universe. People would probably argue the movie and TV miniseries had more influence on these, but they still started off as a series of books.

Oh, and are we acknowledging the skutch of bible games that were for some reason released?
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:49 pm

SpockIOM wrote:I think there was a Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy game somewhere along the way, noted for a notoriously difficult puzzle involving obtaining the babelfish. I think they had t-shirts printed for people who managed to solve it.

There are a few Dune games from Frank Herbert's universe. People would probably argue the movie and TV miniseries had more influence on these, but they still started off as a series of books.

Oh, and are we acknowledging the skutch of bible games that were for some reason released?

The Babel fish puzzle wassn't that dificult - even I got it! - but is one of the most enjoyable solutions to a puzzle ina text adventure, on a par with escaping the goblin dungeon in The Hobbit.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:12 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Mindfighter , which came with the book (dificult to complete without reading it first). Interesting book, average game.

James Clavell's Shogun

Taipan
Shogun, one of my all time favourite games!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:20 pm

William Shatner's TekWar. I remember playing the demo. It looked nice, but I couldn't find the gameplay.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:01 pm

Metro 2033

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:05 pm

Bladerunner based on Mr. Philip K. D1ck's famous "Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep?" on the PC.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:05 pm

How about when a novelist makes a game? I'm thinking Starship Titanic by Douglas Adams here...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

tachi

Post by tachi » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:54 pm

There were obviously loads of TSR onea based on movels such as Curse of the Azure Bonds and the like.
Then there were 2 versions of Nightbreed also and numerous Lovecraft games such as Call of Cthulhu and Shadow of the Comet.
And slightly more common are all the Dynasty Warriors games and the far more historically accurate 3 Kingdom games based on the Romance of the 3 Kingdom books.
And very loosely based is the very Wonderful Atari 800xl Zorro game based on the stories :)
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?