The Best Street Fighter?????

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

seabass

Post by seabass » Tue May 08, 2007 3:18 pm

SFA 3 for being the complete package in my mind in terms of SF goodness.

SFA2 on the SNES holds a place in my heart though because it was a damn conversion.
I promised my dad if he brought it, I wouldn't play it till christmas (it was a week before so)...As soon as I got home I broke that promise >_<
I got love for you if were born in the 80's...yeah!

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Tue May 08, 2007 3:47 pm

SFIII: 3rd Strike, I built a shrine to it! It's still competitively played today, is hugely popular worldwide and can still suprise you.

I've a Japanese Ranking Battle that tok place on the 24th April 2007 and it's very entertaining. I'll put it up in the next day or so if folk want?

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Tue May 08, 2007 4:30 pm

MORTAL KOMBAT

ooh errm did i just say that outloud? i meant streetfighter 2 turbo on the snes :)
although i was always crap at it and prefered mortal kombat :)
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue May 08, 2007 4:36 pm

You do realise how incredibly easy it is to pull off a Dragon punch? As with not being very good, get a copy of SFA (Not on mame unless your using a Arcade stick or Sega pad as these are best for it) and select Guy and train with him. Your skills will rapidly increase and its dead easy to win without combo's
Watching you sleep since 1990

seabass

Post by seabass » Tue May 08, 2007 4:44 pm

Sega2006 wrote:You do realise how incredibly easy it is to pull off a Dragon punch? As with not being very good, get a copy of SFA (Not on mame unless your using a Arcade stick or Sega pad as these are best for it) and select Guy and train with him. Your skills will rapidly increase and its dead easy to win without combo's
Hell it was easy pulling off Akuma's firecracker move (again I forget the actual name...basically the Level 3 super that thakes off around 70% of energy)
Last edited by seabass on Tue May 08, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Tue May 08, 2007 7:19 pm

seabass wrote:
Sega2006 wrote:You do realise how incredibly easy it is to pull off a Dragon punch? As with not being very good, get a copy of SFA (Not on mame unless your using a Arcade stick or Sega pad as these are best for it) and select Guy and train with him. Your skills will rapidly increase and its dead easy to win without combo's
Hell it wqas easy pulling off Akuma's firecracker move (again I froget the actual name...basically the Level 3 super that thakes off around 70% of energy)
Shungokusatsu. I love this move, especially after linking a few cheap hits to it. Can make for a 20 hit combo and a spectacular death to your opponent.
真・豪鬼

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Tue May 08, 2007 7:21 pm

Hmmm. Tough one to call. I think to be fair that alpha 2 is the best one.

Capcom v SNK 2 is brilliant though.
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Tue May 08, 2007 7:22 pm

woody.cool wrote:For me it has to be Street Fighter II' Champion Edition closely follwed by Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
EvilArmourKing wrote:But I think the speed at which he (I mean the A.I) can pull off his Flash Kick move is just daylight robbery. Whatever happened to having to charge the move before being able to produce it!!
It's because the computer buffer's the move - the same way a decent SF player should - the idea is to charge the move (hold down for 2 secs) whilst your player is carrying out another move - the computer will still register the 2 sec charge - as soon as the finish the move press UP followed by KICK and hey presto: you have buffered a move!!!!
I know all about buffering moves, as it is generally a common staple of fighting games!

But, the CPU fighters don't appear to charge moves. For example, when Guile throws a Sonic Boom, if you jump over it, he will already start the frame animation to be in a crouch position and then before you can say boll*cks, he's whipped out his Flash Kick.

And the time it took to charge?? Under a second! He can't possibly have buffered the move form a Sonic Boom, as that move is back-forward charge!

I don't question any other characters that don't have a similar charge move, but even Blanka does it, and you can see from the move before hand that it is not feasibly possible to do as a "human" player.

I like the challenge, I just don't like blatent cheese :cry:

It's a damn sight better than the PS2 Anniversary collection, which I simply can't stand.

Nobody going to rate one of the EX titles as the best SF :lol:
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

seabass

Post by seabass » Tue May 08, 2007 8:30 pm

Heh at least the games don't suffer from SNK Boss syndrome...probably teh reason I go the Emu route, just so I can't beat the damn games ^_^

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed May 09, 2007 4:43 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:
I wouldn't say it was the best but I used to play EX Plus Alpha a lot on the Playstation.
Splink!

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed May 09, 2007 10:45 am

seabass wrote:Heh at least the games don't suffer from SNK Boss syndrome...probably teh reason I go the Emu route, just so I can't beat the damn games ^_^
Oh how very true!

I remember Rugal in King of Fighters 94 - Just unbelievably MENTAL!

I mean, that was just taking things too far!

And as for Geese Howard - Lord give me Strength :cry:

Arcade players reduced to phoning the Samaritans cause they just "can't take any more" :lol:

Another p1ss take of a boss is Jinpachi on Tekken 5. Three moves in less than four seconds = equals instant death!
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed May 09, 2007 2:48 pm

seabass wrote:
Hell it was easy pulling off Akuma's firecracker move (again I forget the actual name...basically the Level 3 super that thakes off around 70% of energy)
You'd be supprised how easy Akuma is to master :shock:

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed May 09, 2007 2:49 pm

felgekarp wrote:
EvilArmourKing wrote:
I wouldn't say it was the best but I used to play EX Plus Alpha a lot on the Playstation.
I kinda liked EX Plus Alpha on PSX - it was rather unique!

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed May 09, 2007 2:50 pm

I know Akuma is listed in the win scores, but he dosent appear in Selection on Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors Dreams (SFA1), Do I have to deafeat the game on the Highest Difficulty or something?
Watching you sleep since 1990

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed May 09, 2007 2:51 pm

Sega2006 wrote:I know Akuma is listed in the win scores, but he dosent appear in Selection on Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors Dreams (SFA1), Do I have to deafeat the game on the Highest Difficulty or something?
He wasn't even present in SFA1 (or at least I don't think so anyway)