The Best Street Fighter?????

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

bonerlaw

The Best Street Fighter?????

Post by bonerlaw » Tue May 08, 2007 6:50 am

Hi there,

Finally got myself round to playing Street Fighter 3, so have joined the "I have played every Street Fighter Game" club! But now, I cant decide which one is the best?? Any thoughts??

Cabal

Post by Cabal » Tue May 08, 2007 7:27 am

Hmmm, I'd go for Street Fighter Alpha 2.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 08, 2007 7:39 am

Darkstalkers.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Cabal

Post by Cabal » Tue May 08, 2007 7:42 am

Yeah, DarkStalkers was quite fab. 8)

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue May 08, 2007 8:05 am

For me it’s difficult to decide between the pinnacles that are Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Street Fighter 3 the 3rd Strike, so I’ll get back to that argument later,

It has to be said that I’ve got a soft spot for the original Arcade version of SF2 the gameplay was so balanced and it was a breath of fresh air in not just the beat em up scene but in gaming all together at the time. This amazing game made it home on the SNES in a pretty good conversion and again I systematically worked through the game on all difficulty levels and with all the characters such was the draw of the game. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though, this game on review in the present day is sluggish and full of glitches and as such cannot be considered to be the best of a series that’s entered it’s second decade of existence.

So back to the original decision SFA of SF3

SFA – The culmination of the SF series - all the characters, wonderful animation, complex combo systems, and that amazing Dreamcast conversion…….

SF3 – The complete re-invention of the series – it feels new and different like playing the original Street Fighter then playing SF2, new roster of characters genuinely offering something different - not just the same old moves mapped onto a new collection of pixels, Capcom Magic – the feeling that the game has been crafted in every area to make the game as enjoyable as possible, balance – I know some characters are unquestionably stronger than others but when you see to equally matched fighters go at it, it’s a beautiful thing to watch.

On the balance of things I think I prefer SFA3, to me it’s the ultimate evolution of the series. This game has all the characters I’ve loved since SF2 and I know canonically it’s set before the aforementioned game but It owes a huge debt to that series, a wonderfully put together package.

One of the hardest decisions in gaming and I’m sure other people will pick out other Street Fighter games (It’s a very individual choice). I summary I bought both they offer rewarding gameplay for very different reasons!!

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Tue May 08, 2007 8:19 am

Even though my username says otherwise, it's the World Warrior for me :D
真・豪鬼

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Tue May 08, 2007 8:47 am

gminty, I know what you mean! Alpha 3 was fantastic, and I loved the little intro to each character before you started your journey! But SF3 3rd strike is just an awesome game, the parry system added a new zest to the series!!
ARRGGHH!!!! I dont think i will ever decide! :x

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Tue May 08, 2007 9:48 am

would be...............................

Sonny Chiba.

End of discussion :lol:

I mean, would YOU really argue with him??
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue May 08, 2007 10:00 am

What a shame further "research" is required! :wink:

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Tue May 08, 2007 10:07 am

Super Street Fighter II Turbo.
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Tue May 08, 2007 12:36 pm

James Bond wrote:Super Street Fighter II Turbo.
I was playing this the other day on Capcom Classics Collection Vol.2 and I have to say it is Ont Tough Bas*ard!

Got murdered by Level 1 Guile.

Strangely, this didn't perturb me and even though it took me a while (see half a day) to finally beat him, I managed to keep my composure.

But I think the speed at which he (I mean the A.I) can pull off his Flash Kick move is just daylight robbery. Whatever happened to having to charge the move before being able to produce it!!

Gotta say I think it is a fantastic game in comparison to it's prequel, Super Street Fighter : The New Challengers. Damn, that game was so slow!!
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue May 08, 2007 12:43 pm

I havent played many of them, but SFA1 will always hold a speciel place in my heart. It taught me the ropes and makes me feel so smug as I hear 'HYDOKEN!!' whilst blowing some poor b@stard to hell
Watching you sleep since 1990

jazzmaverick

Post by jazzmaverick » Tue May 08, 2007 12:54 pm

I can't get SFIII: 2nd strike to work on my version of MAME, so I'll have to stick with good old Street Fighter II: Turbo

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Tue May 08, 2007 2:33 pm

jazzmaverick wrote:I can't get SFIII: 2nd strike to work on my version of MAME, so I'll have to stick with good old Street Fighter II: Turbo
jazz, I struggled forever with mame and SFIII, to discover that i cannot get any of them to work!!! Best advice would be what I did, beg/steal/borrow an x box, and buy streetfighter anniversary collection (i got it for about £5 @ gamestation)

Trust me, its worth it!!!!!!

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue May 08, 2007 3:02 pm

For me it has to be Street Fighter II' Champion Edition closely follwed by Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
EvilArmourKing wrote:But I think the speed at which he (I mean the A.I) can pull off his Flash Kick move is just daylight robbery. Whatever happened to having to charge the move before being able to produce it!!
It's because the computer buffer's the move - the same way a decent SF player should - the idea is to charge the move (hold down for 2 secs) whilst your player is carrying out another move - the computer will still register the 2 sec charge - as soon as the finish the move press UP followed by KICK and hey presto: you have buffered a move!!!!