Yoshis Island - WOW!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

MadManDan79

Re: Yoshis Island - WOW!

Post by MadManDan79 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:31 am

I owned it once for Gameboy advance...

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:36 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
gman72 wrote:I just got this for the DS. Not the new island one but the old SNES one. Cool. :D
How did you manage that? I only thought it was released on the SNES.
It was, although the Gameboy Advance is very nearly the same as the old SNES game, they changed Yoshi's voice, added some bonus levels and included a multi player version of Mario bros, the screen was also cropped to fit the hand held screen, this version has appeared on VC, as the GBA version did not need the special chip.

The DS version is not the same as the SNES, it is the sequel to it, until shortly before it's release it had the title of Yoshi's Island 2, the game was programmed by Artoon, not Nintendo, it is also available on the Wii U VC.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:47 pm

This is the one I've just got, I thought it was a port of the SNES version... my bad... I'll play the original on my JXD I guess. There is a New Island for 3DS which presumably a sequel to this one.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:00 pm

gman72 wrote:Image

This is the one I've just got, I thought it was a port of the SNES version... my bad... I'll play the original on my JXD I guess. There is a New Island for 3DS which presumably a sequel to this one.
I was thinking for a second you may be EMULATING the SNES on the DS - which is very ambitious! I was about to advise you that you would be much better off emulating it on your JXD - EVEN on the JXD would be a much better experience! :wink:

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:30 pm

The sequels are solid but not as good as the SNES one. They look and play similar but aren't as polished or well designed. If we say the SNES game was 90+ material, the sequels would be 70+ material. Still fun to play but there was an apparent drop in quality (and originality).

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:20 am

I've got it on the GBA. I think I'd sold my Snes to buy a PS1 by the time it came out.

Great game. Though I find it quite difficult - not sure if that's my declining game skills, or the smaller GB screen, or both!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:41 pm

Although the Snes was still my current machine when it came out, I never bothered with it. I bought it when it came out on the GBA, and again didn't bother with it.

Then one day I stuck it in my DS when I went to work, and it just hit me. I obsessed over it and didn't touch another game until I'd beaten it. It's not a game I plan on replaying, but I think it's fantastic.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:15 am

theantmeister wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote:I've just had a quick scan-through the RG top 150 Games, and it doesn't appear at all. Is that right or did I miss it?? I always thought it was very highly regarded.

I wonder had they used a more "conventional" art style and graphics, it would have been as good, and more popular? Or maybe neither.
Maybe it was the blinkin' crying baby? That cry still haunts me. :cry:
It just missed the list, finishing 160th.

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:53 pm

I always found Yoshi's Island a much more compelling game than SMW, but you cannot fight the power of a good pack-in game. Damn shame it didn't make the list.
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:30 am

This thread has inspired me to dig out the old (heavily yellowed) US SNES and have another crack at finishing this game.

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:35 pm

One of the few SNES games I went out and bought when it was new. Replayed it again recently and it's still a joy to play and probably my fav platformer of all time.
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:49 am

Hmm, I'm on world three now and I'm starting to remember why I've never finished this game. Man, it gets tough! Those goddam monkeys and that flippin' mud.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:42 am

theantmeister wrote:Hmm, I'm on world three now and I'm starting to remember why I've never finished this game. Man, it gets tough! Those goddam monkeys and that flippin' mud.
I found the game hardly hard. :wink:

Now doing all perfect (100%) runs on all stages, that's more tricky to achieve.

davyK

Post by davyK » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:39 pm

That's one of YI's strengths. It's not that hard to get to the end, but 100%-ing the levels to unlock the secret levels and then 100%-ing those is a different proposition altogether. So you can play it whatever way you like.

I feel the pain of the poster who mentioned the monkey/mud levels. 100%-ing those is when the challenge really kicks in. You need to make sure you use the melons to spit seeds at the monkeys.

dste

Post by dste » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:02 pm

I own the SNES version but for some reason have never really been able to get into it.

I'll have another try as it looks great and I cannot see any reason why I shouldn't enjoy it.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!