Yoshis Island - WOW!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Yoshis Island - WOW!

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:54 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
merman wrote: It also used the SuperFX chip.
Indeed - which means it is unlikely to be ever released on Virtual Console due to licensing issues. Its a shame, as I think the GBA release was a slight compromise reading up about it - or does anyone think its as good or better?
This is new information to me... was the Super FX chip a third party thing?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:02 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
I believe it was made by, or licensed to, British company Argonaut Software. Hence why no Starfox or any other SNES game using the chip is on the VC. Sadly.

LonDan

Post by LonDan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:04 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
I believe it was made by, or licensed to, British company Argonaut Software. Hence why no Starfox or any other SNES game using the chip is on the VC. Sadly.
I always thought the reason FX chip games rarely make it to the VC was the complexity of emulating it properly?

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:17 pm

LonDan wrote:
I always thought the reason FX chip games rarely make it to the VC was the complexity of emulating it properly?
I had previously assumed that as well, but Super FX emulation has been nailed for quite some time now. The Wii is more than capable as well, since Snes9x GX emulates all the main SFX games solidly so I'd imagine if a homebrew emulator can do it without much effort, Ninty could too. But sadly it's a licensing issue between Argonaut and Nintendo.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:11 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
LonDan wrote:
I had previously assumed that as well, but Super FX emulation has been nailed for quite some time now. The Wii is more than capable as well, since Snes9x GX emulates all the main SFX games solidly so I'd imagine if a homebrew emulator can do it without much effort, Ninty could too. But sadly it's a licensing issue between Argonaut and Nintendo.
I suppose Ninty could remake it themselves if they really wanted to, but it's probably not worth the effort at this point. Might as well make an all new game if they were going to that trouble.

I just started this for the first time a few years ago via the GBA version. Really enjoyed it but got distracted and forgot about it, really need to get back to it and finish it off.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:37 am

I never got into Yoshi's Island at the time, I borrowed it off someone & didn't take to it, but then again I was never a big Mario fan.

However I absolutely adore Yoshi's Wooly World so maybe it's worth a revisit.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

LonDan

Post by LonDan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:14 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
LonDan wrote:
That seems a very odd situation from both parties then. You'd imagine that Argonaut have very little to gain by being obstreperous about licencing. Either that or it's very difficult to get in contact with the licence holder due to them being defunct for a decade.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:04 am

LonDan wrote:That seems a very odd situation from both parties then. You'd imagine that Argonaut have very little to gain by being obstreperous about licencing. Either that or it's very difficult to get in contact with the licence holder due to them being defunct for a decade.
Neither Argonaut Games or Argonaut Technologies exist anymore, the former was liquidated in 2006, and the latter became ARC (Argonaut Risc Core), this was acquired by Virage Software in November 1999, they in turn were acquired by Synopsis in 2010.

So the problem is not Argonaut, it is the license for the technology being buried in such a deep legal hole because of buyouts and takeovers, that it is simply not worth Nintendo trying to unpick the legal mess for a handful of games, no matter how good they may be.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:13 am

You'd think it'd be easy enough to reverse engineer something for the emulation so they could replace the Argonaut code with their own. It was used in quite a few games, so they have a spread of sales to recoup the costs once they implement it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:23 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:You'd think it'd be easy enough to reverse engineer something for the emulation so they could replace the Argonaut code with their own. It was used in quite a few games, so they have a spread of sales to recoup the costs once they implement it.
The Super FX chip was only used in eight games and the Super FX 2 in only three, and it must be said that most of them were not very good, so they may need two sets of reversed engineered code, and would probably only get much revenue from five of those games at best.
Last edited by adippm82 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:26 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:You'd think it'd be easy enough to reverse engineer something for the emulation so they could replace the Argonaut code with their own. It was used in quite a few games, so they have a spread of sales to recoup the costs once they implement it.
Sounds like probably more work than Ninty would care to do on these (they usually just dump a ROM and thats it, at most they've done some translations and minor alterations to the code). I guess its only really Starfox, Yoshis Island and Stunt Race FX that would be of genuine interest. Yoshis Island they're better off just porting the GBA version to the Wii U VC (which they may have done already, as it sounds like its a solid port). Starfox was amazing in 1993, but its become very obsolete now - more than the majority of SNES games, same for Stunt Race FX. Plus Starfox 64 was always much better and has aged really well.

I'd like to see them all available, but its not super essential, and if anyone MUST play them, they work well on emulators, and Starfox is dirt cheap to buy 2nd hand (not sure about the others). Its a pity that a flash cart hasn't got Super FX chips on them yet as well, but same issue as already discussing about the legal licensing of it.

LonDan

Post by LonDan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:58 pm

adippm82 wrote:
The Super FX chip was only used in eight games and the Super FX 2 in only three, and it must be said that most of them were not very good, so they may need two sets of reversed engineered code, and would probably only get much revenue from five of those games at best.
Such a shame. Starfox in its original state, enhanced for the 3DS would be excellent.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:00 pm

I think this is going to be the next game I buy (providing I lose some weight this week). I always had it back in the day, but I never really played it. Will aim to rectify that shortly.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:15 pm

I just got this for the DS. Not the new island one but the old SNES one. Cool. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:24 pm

gman72 wrote:I just got this for the DS. Not the new island one but the old SNES one. Cool. :D
How did you manage that? I only thought it was released on the SNES.