Yoshis Island - WOW!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

David

Yoshis Island - WOW!

Post by David » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:29 am

I had moved onto the playstation by the time this came out and am only just trying it now for the first time.

What an incredible game!!

The graphics and sound are outstanding

Any fans?

theantmeister

Re: Yoshis Island - WOW!

Post by theantmeister » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:34 am

It is very impressive, isn't it?

Wait till you get to "Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy" :mrgreen:

David

Post by David » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:40 am

Its amazing,

Feel like a kid again discovering a new 16 bit game of this quality

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:48 am

I never had Yoshi's Island during the 16 bit era, but have tried it on emulation a few times since, but found the art style put me off a bit - which really has stopped me getting into what is clearly a very highly regarded and excellent Nintendo game.

Hopefully I'll eventually get round to it. Maybe I'll try it on the GBA.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:39 am

Yes it's easily one of the best sidescrolling 2D platformers ever made, right up there with Mario Bros. 3. And let me be the heretic and say that it's much better than SMW... :wink:

Extremely creative levels, imaginative bosses (the one on the moon being my fave), a "just right" difficulty curve, excellent re-playablity (you have to do all perfect runs to unlock extra levels - a good challenge for seasoned platformer fans), secrets, fun mini games, excellent hand-drawn art style, etc. Never again was a Yoshi game as good as the original Yoshi's Island on SNES, the reason being that it was treated as a full-fledged part of the "mainline" SM series (the subtitle of the game is "Super Mario World 2" after all), despite having a bit different style of play. They prefected the sidescrolling platforming formula in this title while at the same time innovating in the gameplay department so it's not hard to see why it's highly regarded by enthusiast platforming and game fans in general.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:55 am

I've just had a quick scan-through the RG top 150 Games, and it doesn't appear at all. Is that right or did I miss it?? I always thought it was very highly regarded.

I wonder had they used a more "conventional" art style and graphics, it would have been as good, and more popular? Or maybe neither.

LonDan

Post by LonDan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:57 am

Funny you should mention Yoshi's Island. I was watching a lot of the Awesome Games Done Quick 2016 Live screenings the other day, which led me to this 2014 speedrun of Yoshi's Island. Well worth a quick look to see someone playing it with a complete mastery of the controls and sophistication it requires. Extraordinary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOrA91_xg4M

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:58 am

For me it's the art style that really makes it special.
There are some great ideas in there, from the morph blocks to the hidden areas.
It also used the SuperFX chip.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:05 am

merman wrote: It also used the SuperFX chip.
Indeed - which means it is unlikely to be ever released on Virtual Console due to licensing issues. Its a shame, as I think the GBA release was a slight compromise reading up about it - or does anyone think its as good or better?

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:14 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:I've just had a quick scan-through the RG top 150 Games, and it doesn't appear at all. Is that right or did I miss it?? I always thought it was very highly regarded.

I wonder had they used a more "conventional" art style and graphics, it would have been as good, and more popular? Or maybe neither.
Maybe it was the blinkin' crying baby? That cry still haunts me. :cry:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:25 am

merman wrote:For me it's the art style that really makes it special.
This. If it used a more conventional Mario style then it wouldn't stand out so much, but this really makes it stand out as a game in its own right and not just a lazy spin off. It really suits the game, I'm more surprised it hasn't been copied more often (or wasn't for some time).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:31 am

I think they dumbed the series down completely with Yoshi's Story on the N64 and pretty much the handheld sequels after that. The SNES original seems to be the cream of the crop.

davyK

Post by davyK » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:15 pm

One of the finest platformers ever made. I flip flop between this and Super Mario World as my favourite - but consider that the SNES's life is bookended by those games - incredible. Also consider that Nintendo was developing this and Super Mario 64 at the same time - the mind boggles - surely their creative peak with respect to that genre at the very least.

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:18 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
merman wrote: It also used the SuperFX chip.
Indeed - which means it is unlikely to be ever released on Virtual Console due to licensing issues. Its a shame, as I think the GBA release was a slight compromise reading up about it - or does anyone think its as good or better?
I have the game on GBA and SNES and you do lose some graphical touches. It's 95% the same game though so the version on Wii U VC is still worth a download if you haven't played it before.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

davyK

Post by davyK » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:52 am

There are some incredible YI playthroughs made for AGDQ. Well worth a look for those.