Most challenging games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

The-game

Most challenging games

Post by The-game » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:09 pm

I wanted to find out what your most challenging games you have played and still haven't finished yet, for example Double Dragon on the Gameboy is still a challenge for me and can't quite finish it.

Which are your most challenging and difficult games ? and what are the ones you have finally completed ?

outdated_gamer

Re: Most challenging games

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:05 pm

Super C on NES - not a walk in the park unless you're real good at scrolling shooters.

Rainbow Six Raven Shield on PC - disable all the helpers and on-screen info and play on Elite difficulty. This makes most other "realistic" shooters look like a joke.

GTR 2 on PC - without all aids, still one of the best race sims ever made. To be any good in multi player means years of practice and tweaking your setups.

Quake III Arena on PC - kind of replaced by Quake Live these days but because of this only the hard core players remain. Prepare to get crushed in multi player unless you have god like aiming and strategy.

Doom II on PC - on higher difficulty levels, the game is, indeed, highly challenging. The tricky level design, endless onslaughts of enemies, shortage of ammunition and frantic searching for health packs make this game (and the original Doom too) a blast to play.

Command & Conquer Red Alert on PC - the single player part is quite easy but join a online season and prepare to get crushed unless you are masterful at micro management.

Tetris Grand Master on MAME - Tetris is these days classed as "casual game". I have to ask, which idiot comes up with these classifications? :wink:

Hyper Street Fighter II and Street Figher III Third Strike on MAME - playing against the AI can be a challenge in itself, but playing it against skilled players is where the game really shines. It becomes a fast reflex strategy game at high levels of play.

Disciples II Dark Prophecy on PC - still my fave turn based fantasy strategy after all those years and still trully challenging on higher difficulty levels. The AI in this game is cheating and can be frustrating to no end but the game cannot be put down (prepare for hours of time investment).

Digital Combat Simulator on PC - the best, and only, modern combat flight simulator out there. They use a specialized version of this for army pilot training. Without a good flight stick and months or years of practice, you will not survive for very long.

Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis on PC - oldie but goldie. The originator of the military simulator sub genre. Install some mods and play some CTI mode against difficult AI or experienced players and you will get crushed.

Honorable mentions: Advanced Wars 2 Black Hole Rising (a brilliant turn based strategy for a handheld system), Super Mario Bros. 2 Japan (way more difficult than the Western version), Ghouls 'n Ghosts (the original "Dark Souls" game), Super Mario Kart (against a skilled player it's a joy to play), Raiden (maybe not that difficult but still stellar scrolling shooter), Punch Out (untill you figure out the patterns, quite difficult)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:38 pm

Thunderbirds for the Amiga. I've been playing the game on and off since 1987ish and I can't clear the second level. Doesn't help that the pace of the game is so deathly slow that I get bored just waiting for the characters to walk from one screen to the next. Emulation helps that though, playing the game at 200%+ speed certainly speeds things up! I don't want to give up on the game though, I'm determined to complete it one day.

Only other game that springs to mind at the moment is "all night nippon super mario bros". Its a special version of SMB that was released on the disk system and had some tweaks to enemies/levels to make things more interesting. One tweak is that Hammer Brothers run right at you (throwing tons of hammers in the process) rather than hanging back in their designated areas. This has made World 8-3 pretty damn tricky to complete (especially without a Fire Flower). I really need to get back to it and give it another try.

1001 Spikes is pretty damn tough especially in the final levels. The game is filled with traps and cheap deaths that most of the time you'll never see coming, the game forces you to memorise the exact locations of traps in order to clear them. Its a fun game when you get the hang of it, but there are a couple of levels in that game I never want to play again!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:58 pm

Commandos 2 on the xbox and pc.Loved the first game and the second but is so bloody hard. Do go back to it but don't think I'll ever finish it.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:04 pm

aztecca wrote:Commandos 2 on the xbox and pc.Loved the first game and the second but is so bloody hard. Do go back to it but don't think I'll ever finish it.
I couldn't even get anywhere on the first game. I dread to think how much harder the second game is!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:19 pm

aztecca wrote:Commandos 2 on the xbox and pc.Loved the first game and the second but is so bloody hard. Do go back to it but don't think I'll ever finish it.
Those kind of games kind of lived and died with that series. It's unfortunate but it seems they really were too hard for the majority of players. :wink:

Anyway, forgot to mention Serious Sam First and Second Encounter. Great fun and a true continuation of the Doom II formula. Also, Trackmania and F-Zero. Fantastic and nail-hard Arcade racers.

The-game

Post by The-game » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:56 pm

Project X on the Amiga was very challenging, there is a level or two that speed up and you have to dodge the sides and objects in the way. All fun but can really pull your hair out and Super Hang on for the Amiga was really bloody annoying at times

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:06 pm

Brutal DOOM on Black metal or overwhelming brutality if you are insane

The-game

Post by The-game » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:12 pm

DPrinny wrote:Brutal DOOM on Black metal or overwhelming brutality if you are insane
Doom in general is tough and have heard Brutal Doom is as it says brutal! haha may risk it but I'll end up getting killed in probably no time at all, a new record!!

dste

Post by dste » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:32 pm

Star Wars for NES/GB - I really want to finish at least one version of it but either get annoyed or die pretty early on.

Rad Gravity for NES - Cannot kill the last bloody boss, does my head in that I cannot do it.

Legend of the Mystical Ninja for SNES - Cannot quite remember if it's because I die or get to a certain point and give up but despite liking the game I've never actually completed it.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:16 pm

Battletoads - everyone puts it on these lists for a reason. Utterly sadistic, which is a pity since there's a great game trying to get out

Super Empire Strikes Back - utterly relentless from the very first level

Gremlins 2 on Game Boy - never got beyond the early levels as a kid, doubt I'll do much better now

Snake Rattle n Roll - again, a good game but the difficulty saps all the fun out

Mario Bros 2 Japan - feels more like a ROM hack than an actual game. Nintendo were very wise not to release it in Europe and the US

The-game

Post by The-game » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:23 pm

Battletoads is up there for hardness, tried completing the game on the Gameboy but sadly failed.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:44 pm

I did finish Gameboy Double Dragon back in the day the last level with the instant kills from falls was so frustrating I remember Willy/Shadow Boss being easy don't think his gun killed you outright like on the arcade..

But me

PS2 Shinobi that Blind guy in the sewer I stamped on the pad and snapped the disc, it was near the end I watched some Ninja 1 life it on You Tube.. He actually replied back to me as well which was cool :D

Nes Battletoads on that Hoverboard me and a couple of friends tried doing that with save states every few seconds still couldn't.. Somebody on awesome games done quick completed it blindfolded earlier

Cauldron 2 who ever thought it was a good idea to make that Pumpkin Bounce

Double Dragon 2 Nes/PC Engine version the last levels impossible

Survival Instinct arcade last boss Dantel his life-shredding multi-sword attack, morphing into a ball and bowling you over, fire breath, laser eyes, a psychic throw that that shoves Dantel straight into SNK-tier territory.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:36 pm

Forgot about Battletoads...

Turbo tunnel gets a lot of flack, and its tough but the game actually gets hilariously harder when you hit the later levels that make Turbo Tunnel look like a push over! I completed the game once using save states on Rare Replay and I don't have much of an appetite to clear the penultimate level again anytime soon.

Then again, most of Rare's output from the Spectrum/NES era are pretty damn tough for me to finish going by Rare Replay.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:55 pm

STILL haven't been able to do the waterfall level in Revenge of Shinobi :oops:

And I wanted to like Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox, but that first boss with the nunchakus, just not fun at all...

Gradius is a hard sod - fine if you've got all your power-ups, but I usually die once, then it's a panic trying to power up again before dying once more... Really is a one-life-game.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.