Star Wars battlefront....

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NickLoTurco10

Star Wars battlefront....

Post by NickLoTurco10 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:08 am

So, I'm looking to purchase this game online via PSN for 28 quid in the sale but I'd like some advice first.

Firstly, what do the "deluxe" and the other editions offer more than the basic game?

Secondly, in the description, it says the online multiplayer can only be played with a PSN subscription? Is this right?!

Any advice muchly appreciated.... :)
Please visit my blog page http://www.hitthesport.wordpress.com

Amiga 1200, Blizzard IV, WHDload-massive!

Rayne

Re: Star Wars battlefront....

Post by Rayne » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:43 am

Hi Nick,

With the PS4 Sony started charging for online play, so you'll need a PS+ subscription before you can start playing online.

All you get with the deluxe addition is a season pass for future content and instant access to stuff you'll unlock in-game anyway. The game is great arcadey fun but I'm holding off on pre-purchasing a season pass until we actually see what the DLC is and if the player base is still strong enough by the time it's released.

William S

Post by William S » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:39 pm

Actually, the season pass is not included in the deluxe edition.
ImageImageImage

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:35 am

I was confused at first between all the deluxe and super deluxe editions etc but looking at the description when you go into each option they are as explained above, just added extras like weapons you can unlock instantly instead of grinding through the game. The ultra deluxe ones usually have dlc like maps and characters or season passes for future dlc.

Me personally id get the basic game and just play and enjoy it....starting a game with a uber weapon doesnt mean you not going to be killed or play much better, in my experience anyway.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:13 am

GamesTM recently criticised Star Wars Battlefront for not having a lot of depth... whilst I understand where they're coming from, for me, it has the right amount. Some first person shooters you have to play online for days before you fully understand what's going on - I get so fed up of constantly dying because I haven't put in the hours to get any good at it! Battlefront allows you to dive straight in and enjoy it no matter what skill level you are. Obviously the major hook is the Star Wars universe, but the attention to detail to that universe is incredible!

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:20 am

There is some small offline bits but not enough to justify a purchase alone. There is quite a lot to the online, the game modes are good, the maps are solid and there are enough heroes to play as.

My only major gripe is fighter mode with all of two ships oer side and 1 hero ship. Not much variety.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri May 13, 2016 4:25 am

Anybody play this?

It really is half a game. :shock:

And they've just announced a sequel for next year so it's only ever going to be three quarters of a full game at best. :shock:

Nice Star Wars skin though. I'll give it that. Very nice.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri May 13, 2016 5:06 am

Its very short on content, but a lot of fun for the time you spend playing it.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri May 13, 2016 5:19 am

Looks like Visceral are working on Battlefront 2....same people who did Battlefield Hardline..and that tanked:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-w ... 0-6439682/

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri May 13, 2016 5:41 am

IronMaidenRule wrote:Looks like Visceral are working on Battlefront 2....same people who did Battlefield Hardline..and that tanked:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-w ... 0-6439682/
Visceral contributed to SW Battlefront but the main dev was DICE. Visceral were confirmed as working on a Star Wars "action" game a while ago but it isn't necessarily Battlefront 2. There's a load of Star Wars pap in development. As long as Visceral are kept away from Battlefield 1 I'm happy. Hardline tanked because it truly sucks as a Battlefield game and generally sucks as any other sort of game.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri May 13, 2016 11:02 am

I'm peeved that rather than expand an extremely content-light Battlefront game they're just going to bin it and release an equally content-light sequel.

Nope, I'm out :|

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat May 14, 2016 4:52 am

Rayne wrote:I'm peeved that rather than expand an extremely content-light Battlefront game they're just going to bin it and release an equally content-light sequel.

Nope, I'm out :|
Yep, it's a cynical move. Unfotunately, the Star Wars skin can sell any turd to the fanboys. With 14 million copies sold EA can take a massive 50% drop in sales for the sequel and they've still got a hit. It's easy money.
It's a shame really. The game is pretty solid. It looks and plays great, there's just not a great deal of it and all of it is totally derivative in every way. At least with the sequel they're bringing back a single player campaign and surely they can't dumb down the online much further than it already is.
If I buy the sequel it'll be out of the sub-£15 bargain bin same as the first one.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat May 21, 2016 5:27 am

Say what you like about this game, the multiplayer is an absolute Star Wars blast. Playing Walker Assault on the Outpost Beta map on the rebel side is the most Empire Strikes Back experience you'll ever get in gaming. Wonderful stuff.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:07 am

Just a heads up for the solo players on this.

The latest update adds an offline Skirmish mode so you can play Walker Assault and Fighter Squadron on your own against bots. Skirmish also lets you play those two modes in online or split screen co-op with a friend against bots. It's all very handy if you can't be bothered with online multiplayer arseholes.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:04 pm

The Beans wrote:Say what you like about this game, the multiplayer is an absolute Star Wars blast. Playing Walker Assault on the Outpost Beta map on the rebel side is the most Empire Strikes Back experience you'll ever get in gaming. Wonderful stuff.

This^^ I got back into this game in a big way, so much so that I even bought the season pass( I know I'm part of the problem) It's my go to game when I want to switch off and just enjoy the ride. It also helps that I seem to be quite good at it too. I was level 19 when I went back to it and now I'm level 48 in the space of 3 weeks. The game is just fun and exhilarating.

I love Sabotage and Extraction from the new expansions and I can't wait for the Death Star stuff.