Games compatibility with Mega Drive 2?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

retroman83

Games compatibility with Mega Drive 2?

Post by retroman83 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:28 pm

Is anyone aware of any older Mega Drive games that aren't compatible with the Mega Drive 2?

Reason I ask is that I've recently acquired Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle.

It loads the very first Sega screen but then just shows a black screen / never loads any further.

I've cleaned the contacts with a pencil rubber, 100% isopropyl alcohol, and even an elastic band wrapped around a pen (found this tip somewhere).

The board looks mint condition. I thought if a cartridge was dead it wouldn't load at all, but this initial screen is teasing me.

I'm thinking it's like the few PS1 games that can't play on PS2, they load but go mental on the screen.

Sureshot

Re: Games compatibility with Mega Drive 2?

Post by Sureshot » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:45 pm

I don't believe there are compatibility concerns between the MD1/2. Largely, they reduced the size by removing the headphone jack/volume control and made some sound mixing changes.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:53 pm

have you tried it on another console?

there is compatibility differences between ms1 and 2 (codemasters games dont work on the model 1)but i dont think the md2 had compatibility differences the same way.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:14 pm

Its not one of those games that has issues with certain pads, is it?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:32 am

The screen you are getting is built in to the mega drive 2, just seems like the cartridge is not being seen by the md. Try as suggested the game in another console if possible. I once had a Home Alone cart that was blank! There is no md1 vs md2 problems that I'm aware of.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:00 pm

I would concurr that it is a dead cart. I have both models of MD, and owned a MD2 back in the day, and have never seen a cart boot on an MD1 that then wouldn't on an MD2. Apart from the lack of headphone socket (and a slightly cheaper audio chip) the internals are the same in both models.

Only incompatibilities I've ever heard of are related to the US MD3 model which has issues with a few games.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:59 pm

Ive got a Gauntlet 4 that does absolutely nothing - on any console. I had heard that the game was a bit prone to issues and lo and behold my second one randomly resets itself.

Grrrr.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:38 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Its not one of those games that has issues with certain pads, is it?
this ^ the official six button pad does strange things to some early games - forgotten worlds for instance resets itself with the 6 button pad.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:39 pm

The only real solution is to try it on a Megadrive 1 and see if its got the same issue. If so then it looks like one of the cartridge's internal chips has failed.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:40 pm

HEAVYface wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Its not one of those games that has issues with certain pads, is it?
this ^ the official six button pad does strange things to some early games - forgotten worlds for instance resets itself with the 6 button pad.
If you hold the mode button on the six button pad I think this is supposed revert the pad back to a three button for compatibility with older games.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:08 am

Im sure there is. My friend had a megadrive games which for some weird reason didn't fit the megadrive 2 slot.

Which is bizarre as i dont think they have different cart slot sizes, so unless it was a bootleg (a bloody well done one at that) all i remember was it was a tinny bit too wide to fit and have a chunky ship zapping aliens on the sticker. He had the box too but i dont remember the name and obviously i didnt play it lol!

PSN username - MartinPhantom