Raspberry Pi coverage in Retro Gamer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Raspberry Pi coverage in Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:25 am

Would you like to see it in the homebrew section and if so, what would you want to see?

yakmag

Re: Raspberry Pi coverage in Retro Gamer

Post by yakmag » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:35 am

Yes!

Maybe some retro builds that people have undertaken? (will have to get my maker head on!)

Info on where you can find retro related Pi stuff?

merman

Post by merman » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:49 am

Yes, from the angle of emulating or recreating retro games.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:51 am

Wait till you see what im working on.............

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:40 am

Maybe, a parallel with the BBC initiative in the '80s would be interesting Darren. Also, as a teacher dud you know that ICT has been dropped from 2018 with only computer science programming courses now on the menu.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:35 pm

sscott wrote:Maybe, a parallel with the BBC initiative in the '80s would be interesting Darren. Also, as a teacher dud you know that ICT has been dropped from 2018 with only computer science programming courses now on the menu.
To be honest, that can only be a good thing (just my opinion on CS vs ICT).

As for coverage of Pi, meh on the subject. Arduino has my heart.

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:45 pm

How about a regular/semi-regular feature on retro-related hardware hacks, similar to 'show us your collection'? It would allow coverage of Pi-related developments (e.g. RPi's installed in a BBC Micro case, RPi-based mini arcade machines), while providing an opportunity to diversify to other areas (Dreamcast with USB slots, handheld N64s, etc.) at a later date.

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:16 pm

As a platform for retro-syled games and emulators, yes. I'd go so far as to include retro-fits in old cases and interfacing old joysticks and controls.
But I don't see why that would be part of the 'Homebrew' section, exactly - just a separate article.

As for just showing stuff people have done generally with a Pi, or any old games they've written 'at home', no.
I'd prefer the 'Homebrew' section to stick to what it does - people developing for old machines. I don't see how the Pi fits in with that as it's not an old platform.

Unless the suggestion here is that the 'Homebrew' section expands to cover DIY home hardware projects relating to retro platforms, emulation, MAME, controllers etc. as well... which might be interesting. Though not at the expense of homebrew game coverage; that's the first thing I turn to when the mag arrives.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:41 pm

You don't feature emulation any more so i really don't really see why you should cover the Pi. I've got a Pi and it is good for emulation, but its not retro, it's a new machine running Linux. Don't see where it fits into the magazine.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:21 pm

I kind of agree with the above post.

I'm a huge raspi fan and I have two pis running my bitcoin miners 24/7. But I don't really see a slot for them in RG.

The rasp pi mags are too much hardware/rc rocket/robot building for me and I find myself wishing for emulation or software features.

Ironic I spose.
Thoughts and prayers.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:14 pm

Thirded. The magazine steers well clear of the "e" word so I don't know what angle a Pi feature would take.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:29 pm

If it is about games and they look retro then anything is fair. 3.14 or not.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:21 pm

certainly not, it has no place in the mag

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:42 pm

Definitely... would love to see what people are doing in a retro context. Emulation would be really interesting

Would be good to have some "new" retro angles rather than newer machines.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:43 pm

I don't think it's got a place in the homebrew section, at least excepting the rare occasions where you might consider putting a PC game in there, as there isn't really a Pi games scene as such. Rather, it'll just run Linux games that aren't particularly demanding in the hardware department that'll also work on pretty much any computer you might have had in the past 15 years.

Also, if we're talking about DIY emulation boxes and such, the Pi isn't exactly the best choice either. It perhaps deserves a mention for its utility in compact designs or for those on a tight budget but, when the more demanding platforms like the Saturn, PS2, Dreamcast, MAME, Cube, etc. really require the fastest Intel/AMD CPU you can afford and even the 8-bit emulators aren't quite as feature packed as Windows ones, it's decidedly a second division option.

I'd think the best angle for a Pi-centred article would be when it comes to bodging them into older hardware, as that gives you an obvious retro angle. There's hardly an old home console or computer that you couldn't fit a Pi into, and someone even managed to squeeze a sawn-off one into a Gameboy Pocket. Now that the Pi Zero is out, even the most compact handhelds ought to be possibilities.