Fave pinball games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Tabe

Re: Fave pinball games?

Post by Tabe » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:35 pm

The Laird wrote:If you like pinball games you will LOVE the article I just wrote for the mag. 8)
AWESOME! I've easily bought more pinball games for various systems than any other Probably a hundred or more - at least.

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:36 pm

goldenone wrote:Williams Pinball Classics is a fantastic collection.
Then you'd love Pinball Arcade. Same developers but significantly improved.

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:40 pm

Man, so many favorites over the years...

Night Mission Pinball (Apple IIe)
Pro Pinball - all four different ones, but especially the first one (The Web) (PC)
Pinball Fantasties (PC)
Eight Ball Deluxe (PC)
Pinball Adventure (PC)
Pinball Arcade (PS3/PS4)
Zen Pinball 2 (PS3/PS4)
Crystal Caliburn (PC)
Extreme Pinball (PC - shame the PS1 port was so terrible!)

And probably a dozen others, at least.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:00 am

I find it hard to think of any pinball games that I DON'T like... It's probably my favourite genre next to platformers and shoot-em-ups :D

Virtual Pinball on the Mega Drive was fairly bad, but the rest, the rest...

PinBall (NES), always addictive, my favourite game on the NES. Loads of weird little secrets to find.

Sonic Spinball, once you realise the "physics" involve controlling Sonic in mid-air, you're onto a winner - I got over a billion points in this game once.

Psycho Pinball, probably the best pinball game out of the lot.

Super Robot Pinball (GBA), lots of fun, mixing pinball with giant robot Ultraman battles.

Metroid Prime Pinball (DS), my favourite Metroid game after Metroid Fusion :D

Gottlieb Pinball Classics and Williams Pinball Classics on the PSP are both fairly flawless.

Pinball Challenge Deluxe (GBA) has EIGHT tables from the Illusions/Fantasies series on one tiny cartridge, fantastic!

Crue Ball (Mega Drive), bit of a weird (yet fun) futuristic take on pinball.

Revenge of the 'Gator (Game Boy), lots of fun once you get going, plus cute alligators.

Ruiner Pinball (Jaguar), only played this for the first time at Revival but I liked it a lot.

3D Pinball - Space Cadet, took a tiny bit of effort to get it working on Windows 10 but worth it.

Pinball Action, on that Tecmo Arcade Classics that nobody seemed to like on the Xbox, simple but fun pinball stuff.

Devil Crash (PC-Engine), ridiculously good, my favourite "non-realistic" one.

Dino Land (Mega Drive), previously mentioned, I like anything by Wolf Team so combine them with dinosaurs and pinball and... there you go.

Pinball Jam (Lynx), another goodie, it's LOUD!

Flipnic (PS2), a bit strange but worth getting used to.

Balls of Steel (PC), used to love the demo version which featured one table, got the full version off GOG last year and it turns out the demo table was the best table of the lot... But it's still great.

Slam Tilt, played the Amiga version earlier this year, since got it on PC, good stuff.

Pokemon Pinball Mini, on the Pokemon Mini, uses Pokemon instead of flippers, works well enough.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:22 am

I only really played extensively Pinball Fantasies on the PC in the early 1990s - and via a demo disk I got from a PC magazine which had the "Party Land" table available. I don't think I've ever played a demo disk as much before or since. Was so addictive, and even my Dad interested in participating!

William S

Post by William S » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:04 am

My favorites are Pinball Dreams/Fantasies on the Amiga, and Tilt on the PC.
ImageImageImage

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:47 am

Pinball Dreams / Fantasies on PSP (and Amiga , obviously)
Psycho Pinball ,
Pinball Classics on PSP ,
Pokemon Pinball on GBA - i can lose hours on this.
Space Cadet - Windows - Never underestimate how much fun playing this on your till can be.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:53 am

I just downloaded the Pinball Gold pack today after this discussion. $4 isn't bad from GOG, although they are obviously only the PC DOS ports.

They seem to work ok on GOG, but there is screen tearing issues and the size of the screen :( Still, lots of pinball for 4 dollars. Just need to figure out using dosbox settings to optimise and sort out the issues!

merman

Post by merman » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:05 am

Pinball 95 from Maxis used to be a favourite, three great tables.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:20 pm

The only ones I've really put any time into are the Amiga ones - Pinball Fantasies/Illusions/Dreams, and Pinball Wizard, which had great music, and I've just found out from a YouTube vid that it's Tangerine Dream - 21st century common man (part 1), which I have playing right now. One of the early Amiga games that I used to play on a friend's Amiga 1000 :D
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:42 am

Big fan of pinball games - I like the score attack nature of them and also the fact that you can almost treat them as puzzle trying to figure them out.

I played A LOT of Video Pinball on the 2600 back in the day.

My favourites:

Digital Pinball : Last Gladiators on the Sega Saturn

Tilt (aka Hyper 3D Pinball) on Saturn too.

Pro Pinball (Trilogy on Dreamcast is very nice - bit of a shame they left the Web table out of that compilation though)

Dragon's Fury (have played the MD version and PCEngine version on the Wii). This is probably my candidate for best ever in the genre.

The Gottlieb and Williams collections are lovely modern games, as is Zen Pinball on 360.

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:48 am

For years, Pinball Fantasies on the Amiga was my absolute ultimate favourite. However, in the past couple of years, Pinball FX2 has outshone that. Loads of tables you can download. The Plants vs Zombies one is fun :)

For Pinball FX2, what really clinches it for me is the fact that you can set the screen to rotate 90 degrees so you can turn your monitor on its side and see the whole table as it was meant to be seen, so there's none of that zooming and/or scrolling while the ball is in play!