Which single developer sums up the Amiga for you?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

yakmag

Re: Which single developer sums up the Amiga for you?

Post by yakmag » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:15 am

Another tough one,

For me the miggy was the loss of the individual coder and the start of 'developer' teams. I guess thats why initial replies were software houses and not individuals as it became harder (IMHO) to identify an individual from within a dev team who were becoming more and more 'faceless' as time went on.

I mean how many devs can you name on teams today?

If I had to pull a name it would be Mr Molyneux only for Populous mind.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:25 am

Probably Bitmap Brothers. I'm not a huge fan of their games but their stuff just feels completely Amiga-y to me.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:30 am

EDIT: *double post*
Last edited by Bluce_Ree on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:08 am

Pete Lyon and Steve Bak both did astonishing work I also loved the work Steven Cain achieved. there are so many to list here, it could go on all day. David Whittaker and Tim Follin and Tim Wright for their contribution to 16 bit music back on the Amiga or the guys from DICE a.k.a. 21st Century a.k.a the Silents. Torben B. Larsen of Cope-Com for his contribution to the Amiga platform or anybody from Innerprise Software, I don't think they actually did any bad games, Sword of Sodan is an exception, but at the time this was mind blowing stuff.
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:23 am

I'd actually pick Shaun Southern, of Magnetic Fields. Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 is on of the game I instantly think of when I think about the Amiga, its a combination of 16 bit graphics, the old 'scrolling road to create the illusion the cars moving', fantastic sampled sound effects and music that's quintessentially Amiga.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:47 am

Commodore.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:59 am

It's interesting how many people mentioned here just aren't known nowadays unless you're actively following their projects. How sad :(
Out of everyone mentioned Molyneux is easily the most recognisable figure.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:51 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:Probably Bitmap Brothers. I'm not a huge fan of their games but their stuff just feels completely Amiga-y to me.
Which is quite funny considering they wrote their games for the ST first :mrgreen:

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:54 pm

Hiro wrote: Great! I had missed it :D very nice comparison. His music his good and stays good on the ST, but on the Amiga it has a lot more oomph, when you're used to the Amiga the ST version sounds somehow primitive. I liked the Pokey version though! And the SID, needless to say :mrgreen:
I personally think the ST version is better, especially as it utalises the STE's DMA chip too.

Jochen is a great guy, I spoke to him a bit when I did the Thalion article for the mag 8)

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:57 pm

Collyer Bros

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:13 pm

The Laird wrote:
Bluce_Ree wrote:Probably Bitmap Brothers. I'm not a huge fan of their games but their stuff just feels completely Amiga-y to me.
Which is quite funny considering they wrote their games for the ST first :mrgreen:
They wrote their games for the ST first and then used the Amigas superior hardware to improve them. That's why they feel like an Amiga developer to a lot of us, I wish more devs had done that.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:40 pm

S0DAN (Søren Grønbæk)
Martin Pedersen / Cope-Com (You can't exclude their shared pixel wizard in Torben Larsen)
Digital Illusions as a team highlighting the demo-crew-gone-commercial bedroom dream.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:17 am

Molyneux. He gave us Populous I and II - and Powermonger. Plus, Syndicate and Theme Park. Quite a pedigree.

That's not to take away from someone like Jon Hare as well - with Megalomania, Wizkid, Sensible Soccer and Cannon Fodder. But, the only games that I was ever really into of his - was Cannon Fodder.

RichL

Post by RichL » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:51 am

Yep, I think I would have to go with Bullfrog too, all of the previous games mentioned plus Flood :D

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:43 am

The Laird wrote:
Hiro wrote: Great! I had missed it :D very nice comparison. His music his good and stays good on the ST, but on the Amiga it has a lot more oomph, when you're used to the Amiga the ST version sounds somehow primitive. I liked the Pokey version though! And the SID, needless to say :mrgreen:
Jochen is a great guy, I spoke to him a bit when I did the Thalion article for the mag 8)
He's my friend on Facebook but I can't say we've interacted much :lol: it's a shame he's stopped being a videogames musician, though.

Good shout on Shaun Southern, with Andrew Morris he did stellar games with Magnetic Fields! The Lotus and Supercars series surely, and It's a shame Kid Chaos was released so late in the Amiga life, it's a great platformer.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark