The twilight years of your favourite magazine

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: The twilight years of your favourite magazine

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:10 am

No, I gave up on Crash before the end, getting my ST around 1990/91. The Speccy wasn't getting much use by that point, though the C64 did get dragged out from time to time. I was married with young kids so inevitably had a decline in my gaming time.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:18 pm

Personally speaking losing Crash was a low point , I actually really liked the covertape era but was reading from an earlier time. Then they were gone and became part of Sinclair User which was my least favourite mag. When that finally petered out I wasnt that bothered as it had become a frail thin mag supported by decreasing quality on the covertapes.

Your Sinclair maintained as much quality as they could , given that the speccy had by then died a death but it was definitely sad to see the last issue come around. I was already onto the Megadrive by then but still used my speccy frequently.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:29 pm

RG was another that disappeared with the same shadowy veil as it had arrived. One day, unnanounced, it was there on the shelf of Electronic Boutique , the next it was gone - with 6 months worth of my subscription! The RG Forum kept going, then suddenly it was announced it was to return - bigger and better than before. At the time I think many of us had their doubts, but yes it did - and our subscriptions were honoured to boot (if I remember correctly). Has any other gaming mag risen from it's own ashes before?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:40 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:RG was another that disappeared with the same shadowy veil as it had arrived. One day, unnanounced, it was there on the shelf of Electronic Boutique , the next it was gone - with 6 months worth of my subscription! The RG Forum kept going, then suddenly it was announced it was to return - bigger and better than before. At the time I think many of us had their doubts, but yes it did - and our subscriptions were honoured to boot (if I remember correctly). Has any other gaming mag risen from it's own ashes before?
I don't think they were, didn't we get two free issues and not a full refund/free issues equal to the amount we had lost?

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:47 pm

I used to read CVG rather a lot but the quality went downhill and the mag just wasn't the same after a while. Computerised sprites of what the staff thought of a game were cool but they abandoned this in favour of having pictures of the staff members faces looking like they were entered for a gurning competion...

But then they abandoned this idea (prob due to complaints from readers) and put more realistic versions of the staff faces instead.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:48 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:RG was another that disappeared with the same shadowy veil as it had arrived. One day, unnanounced, it was there on the shelf of Electronic Boutique , the next it was gone - with 6 months worth of my subscription! The RG Forum kept going, then suddenly it was announced it was to return - bigger and better than before. At the time I think many of us had their doubts, but yes it did - and our subscriptions were honoured to boot (if I remember correctly). Has any other gaming mag risen from it's own ashes before?
I don't think they were, didn't we get two free issues and not a full refund/free issues equal to the amount we had lost?
Not sure, it seems like forever ago. I think we got something, thought it was 6 months , but yeah could have been a couple of issues. I guess they didn't have to give us anything, but just having the mag back on the shelves was a bonus. Think quite a few shied away from re-subscribing for some time though!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:52 pm

MadManDan79 wrote:I used to read CVG rather a lot but the quality went downhill and the mag just wasn't the same after a while. Computerised sprites of what the staff thought of a game were cool but they abandoned this in favour of having pictures of the staff members faces looking like they were entered for a gurning competion...

But then they abandoned this idea (prob due to complaints from readers) and put more realistic versions of the staff faces instead.

Showing my age now, but I remmeber C+VG in the days were many games were reviewed without even getting screenshots! From what I remmeber, the mag started going downhill once the 8 bit consoles like NES and MS came along, then it picked up, then it turned into what felt like a puerile kid's mag; not with the classy kid-ish skill-o humour of Digi and YS, humour that was meant to appeal to the 'yoof' - took itself far too seriously and failed disastrously.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:31 pm

For me, the sad one was the loss of Next Generation magazine. I don't feel like it ever had "twilight years" or even a dropoff in quality. It was, far and away, the highest-quality videogame magazine available in the US during its entire run. High-end interviews, in-depth, intelligent articles, the whole nine yards. I was gutted when it ended its run.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:15 am

Tabe wrote:For me, the sad one was the loss of Next Generation magazine. I don't feel like it ever had "twilight years" or even a dropoff in quality. It was, far and away, the highest-quality videogame magazine available in the US during its entire run. High-end interviews, in-depth, intelligent articles, the whole nine yards. I was gutted when it ended its run.
Wasn't Next Gen mostly comprised of content published in Edge, with just the odd new article thrown in?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:34 am

Re: the old RG

I remember Merman and a few of the other writers released a pdf of the unreleased articles from the cancelled issues.

I'd love to pick up another copy of that. My copy is long gone.
Thoughts and prayers.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:50 am

I was reading ST Format pretty much right up until the end as they did a nice bit of Jaguar coverage too and my ST was still very much being used for more serious things like my college work. The one thing I really remember was them doing like a 2 page review for some PD/Indie game because there were no longer any commercial games to review. Some of these titles were amazing mind and really pushed the ST far more than many commercial titles had done but it was just strange seeing a game that might have got a column at best a couple of years earlier get a huge spread.

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:49 am

rossi46 wrote:I remember Merman and a few of the other writers released a pdf of the unreleased articles from the cancelled issues.
You're referring to Retro Survival?

*hint* A printed edition of the alternative RG19 would be a great give-away for RG #200 *hint*

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:01 am

knight_beat wrote:
rossi46 wrote:I remember Merman and a few of the other writers released a pdf of the unreleased articles from the cancelled issues.
You're referring to Retro Survival?

*hint* A printed edition of the alternative RG19 would be a great give-away for RG #200 *hint*
I still have my copy of Retro Survival.
Going Solo...................

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:29 pm

rossi46 wrote:I'd love to pick up another copy of that. My copy is long gone.
I don't believe there's any copies left out there, but send me a PM, and I'll see what I can do ;)

(given I put the thing together, I obviously still have all the source code)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...