Linx 1010b for Emulation

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bub&Bob

Linx 1010b for Emulation

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:41 pm

I know it's been mentioned before but I've just got hold of one so thought I would share my thoughts.

Despite being rather underpowered it runs emulators up to N64/PS1 really well. I'm using Launchbox as a frontend and that works really well, especially using the touchscreen. I ran Mario Kart 64 in Project64 side by side with my laptop and the speed was the same. It does run DeSmuME but not particularly well, although Zoo Keeper works fine.

The build quality is really good too, it's nice and solid and the keyboard is really nice. Only issue I have is that one of the USB ports is a bit tight.

Battery life is great. I got over 8 hours playing games and updating Launchbox and it still had around 10% remaining.

Also, it's my first experience of Windows 10 and it's much better than 8 and all of the main emulators work fine.

Most definitely worth a look if you want a cheap emulation tablet running full Windows
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Antiriad2097

Re: Linx 1010b for Emulation

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:49 am

With my laptop dead, I was contemplating throwing a couple of hundred at a cheapie just to tide me over.

This looks like it could kill two birds with one stone, giving me a decent Windows replacement without doubling up on my tablet - one device for both purposes, at much less than a cheap laptop.

My main desire for a Windows machine would be gaming though. You've tested emulators and it cuts the mustard there, but how is it with regular Windows games? I'm thinking about my back catalogue from GoG and Steam.

Have you tried running anything like that to get some idea of how good it is? Are we talking Doom, Half Life 2, or beyond? I've plenty of games that cover a wide period, just curious how far through my catalogue I'd get? Might I be able to catch up with my Legacy of Kains or Bloodraynes?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:47 pm

I'm afraid I can't answer that as the last PC game I bought was Sensible Golf!! I'm sure I saw a You Tube review (supreme gadgets?) which had minecraft running
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:29 am

I did the deed last night, went into town after work and picked up a Linx 1010b.

Have barely had a chance to look at it, but I did give a couple of games a very quick test.

MX vs ATV Unleashed loaded all the menus, but crashed when I started the game. Might just be a config issue or a general Windows 10 problem not related to the Linx hardware particularly.

Newer but less demanding, Freedom Planet seems to run fine, with no issues in the intro or brief bit of first level I played.

Finally, a game my old netbook struggled with, Total Overdose. I played the intro battle at the airport and all seemed smooth, I was honestly surprised. Ok, its a 10 year old game, but still, its running on a tablet ffs.

Looks like it more than meets my expectations, I'm very pleased so far. Need to get on Steam to try some newer stuff.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:54 am

From what I can gather, MX vs ATV Unleashed needs an AMD or Nvidia graphics card and won't worth with Intel's integrated graphics which, to be fair, weren't even remotely up to the job back when the game was first made.

Unfortunately, that puts it off limits for most Windows tablets. However, it can be made to run on Windows 10 with even the most basic desktop graphics cards if that's any consolation.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:31 am

Thanks, good to know it's just a basic incompatibility issue with the game and not really a hardware 'problem', and if it's known not to work with non-AMD/nVidia systems I won't waste time fiddling with it trying to fix the unfixable. It was just a random game from my GoG list I picked up in a sale anyway, not something I had a great desire to play right now.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:57 am

Just had Dead Space 2 running fine on it :shock: That's far more than I expected, even my old gaming laptop was a bit clunky with the first one and it was a bit of a beast for its day. Ok, I turned all the graphic settings to minimum to be safe, but given how well it performed I can probably bump things up a bit (not that high resolution or anything is needed on a 10" screen).

Wonder how well it'll work with HDMI output on the telly?

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:16 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Wonder how well it'll work with HDMI output on the telly?
Im really please it's working for you, would have felt guilty if it didn't run the PC games you wanted!!

I hooked it up to the TV but it didn't fill the whole screen and didn't have time to fiddle with resolution etc.

One thing that annoys me is that I can't disable trackpad tapping as there doesn't seem to be the option for it anywhere, if you find it I will be eternally grateful!!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:54 am

Can it handle SSF OK? A portable Saturn emulator that's actually decent would be pretty high up on my want list.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:07 am

Liamh1982 wrote:Can it handle SSF OK? A portable Saturn emulator that's actually decent would be pretty high up on my want list.
It ought to be able to. SSF only requires a fairly modest CPU and runs well enough on netbooks and old P4 laptops, which are more or less in the same class as the Linx. There'll still be problems with the emulation, as SSF has some fundamental issues that make a lot of games unplayable even on the fastest CPU, but the vast majority of games you could get working on any PC would run.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:52 am

I was looking at the Linx 1010b as an upgrade to my Linx 8. I went with the Linx Vision 8 in the end because it comes with an attachable xbox360 controller. I went into shock when I could play Fallout New Vegas. I was happy enough with android for my mobile emulation but with windows you can do so much more.
Scott me up beamie!

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:54 am

I've got a 1010b but have the common problem which is the screen won't rotate by itself. The rotation lock is disabled. I think it is a windows 10 1511 problem. Hope it gets fixed soon. It is really annoying.