Your Favourite "Star Wars" game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

n-g-m

Your Favourite "Star Wars" game

Post by n-g-m » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:09 pm

Dunno if this has been done recently or not but thought I'd pose the question. In the lead up the theatrical release of Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens - what is your favourite retro Star Wars game and what format (if applicable)?

Mine is Shadows of the Empire on N64 - Great atmosphere and awesome soundtrack

Rayne

Re: Your Favourite "Star Wars" game

Post by Rayne » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:57 pm

It's so difficult to pick just one! I'd probably have to go with Knights of the Old Republic, more than any other game it really made me feel like I was in the Star Wars Universe. The story was epic, the characters were likable and don't get me started on that twist at the end!

The original Battlefront comes a very, very close second for the hundreds of hours spent in local multiplayer.

Then there's the legions of excellent games that don't quite make it (Republic Commando, Rogue Squadron, N64 Racer, Shadows of the Empire, Force Unleashed, etc etc)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:12 pm

Last thread on this topic was for the mag around 6 weeks ago:
http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51512
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:22 pm

In my new video I take a look at the 5 different Star Wars games available for the Atari 8-bit computers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9WX71xAuMA

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:42 pm

n-g-m wrote:Dunno if this has been done recently or not but thought I'd pose the question. In the lead up the theatrical release of Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens - what is your favourite retro Star Wars game and what format (if applicable)?

Mine is Shadows of the Empire on N64 - Great atmosphere and awesome soundtrack
I loved Shadows despite it's flaws. It was an interesting SW tale and a lot of fun to play. Frustrating too sometimes!

My favourite, at the moment, is Rogue Squadron 2 on the GC. I've been playing this a lot since seeing Force Awakens.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:22 am

Jedi Knight Academy on the PC. I'm not a fan of the films but running around force choking suckers and flinging them off of cliffs never got old.

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:54 am

You still cannot beat the original 1983 Atari Star Wars arcade, especially the cabinet version 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIG4pi0MedY

Pointman

Post by Pointman » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:49 am

Star Wars Trilogy Arcade, mainly because it's such a good game to play for score. In fact it's one of the main reasons I go to Play Expo every year, it's the only place I get to see the game in the wild anymore. It'll be interesting to see if I'm still at the top of the high score table this year.
Super Secret Bovine Bonus!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:45 am

Got loads

Star Wars - Arcade The original and one of the best
Battlefront - Used to play this tons against the computer with armies turned up to the maximum, loved it
Dark Forces/Jedi Knight - Played these till the end, Jedi Knight was a huge game.
KOTOR - Never played this back in the day, discovered it via iOS, love having this with me at all times, playing a bit here and there

Star Wars - gameboy - Not too bad, a decent platform style game

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:45 pm

I'll go for Rogue Leader - just to be different from everyone else here, lol.
Where logic won't work, I will

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:34 pm

I never really played any star wars games as I just loved the films during childhood but sadly went off them during my teens.

However seing Starkiller, Darth Vader and Yoda in Soul Calibur 4 was funny - "Failed, I have!". :lol:

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:00 pm

Rebel Assault for Mega-CD after playing the demo from a magazine.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:58 am

Well, I loved Dark Forces 2 and 3. Not so keen on the original. Although, it perhaps gets a bit too easy when you have full Jedi powers.

Both Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back at the arcade are superb. Only the asteroid section on Empire lets it down a bit.

Knights of the Old Republic was amasing. Brought the whole Star Wars feel into the 21st century of gaming. The sequel was okay - but not quite as good as the original in terms of storyline and execution.

My favourite Star Wars game has to be Tie Fighter. A superb space combat game - and you do get a lot of atmosphere(the Emperor's secret regime and fighting alongside Vader). X-Wing and X-Wing Alliance is also good, but not quite up to the standards of Tie Fighter.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:11 am

Introduced the wee lad (aged six-and-a-half) to Super Star Wars yesterday, and he loved it - more than Battlefront :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Green Bert

Post by Green Bert » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:53 am

3D Starstrike on the ZX Spectrum.
OK, so it's not an official Star Wars game but in 1984 this was the closest way to playing the original Star Wars game in your own home. This game is effectively a direct port of the game. Even when Domark picked up the license later and converted it to other 8/16-bit formats these still fail to match 3D Starstrike. As a dedicated Commodore 64 owner back in '84 I admit to being jealous of Speccy owners for being able to play this beauty.