mega drive spare parts

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Spirit of AHB

mega drive spare parts

Post by Spirit of AHB » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:41 pm

does anyone know a good website for buying megadrive 2 parts such as capaciters and voltage regulators?

Big Shoes

Re: mega drive spare parts

Post by Big Shoes » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:24 am

Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to buy another megadrive 2? They only cost about £15 from ebay?

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:23 am

both are very cheap generic parts, replacing them will probably improve the system no end as the md2 as i remember was cheaply built.

with the right knowledge it wouldnt cost more than pocket change to do, as i remember 5 capacitors cost less than £1.50

maplin, cpc etc will have a decent selection i am sure

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:52 am

I've got an old knackered Mega drive 2 you can use for parts for just the cost of P&P if you want it? Depending on where you live - I'm in North Essex.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:58 pm

Big Shoes wrote:Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to buy another megadrive 2? They only cost about £15 from ebay?
To be fair, it's nice to save old consoles if the fix is cheap, rather than just bin 'em as there will be a day when it won't be so easy as to just buy a whole new unit. As Flatapex says, I'd be surprised if those sorts of parts aren't just generic components or at least parts with other equivalents.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:49 am

What you're looking for is a cap kit. It's almost always the capacitors that go in solid-state consoles.

Forex, http://console5.com/store/sega-genesis- ... p-kit.html
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:01 am

I should also add that if it's not a chip or a special connector then it's most likely a standard electronic component, and they are generally pretty cheap and will be available from electronic supply shops or any number of websites.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.